Do You Even Kana? Okurigana Matcher

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

Important: Please ensure that you have installed 0.11.0 or later. Older versions of this script will not work with WaniKani in its current form, as major changes to the site were made before this version.

I’ve seen some requests for a script like this floating around the forums, and I’d had the thought before too and figured I’d do it eventually if no-one else did.

I could be mistaken but it looks like no-one else did.

So Bro, Do You Even Kana?
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/9826-wk-do-you-even-kana

This script won’t let you submit an answer with an okurigana mismatch.

The script matches okurigana invidually and thus will give false positives on questions with katakana if you mix in hiragana with your answer
eg. 罰ゲーム
These answers will get through:
ばつげーむ correct
ばつゲーム correct
ばつげーム incorrect
ばつゲーむ incorrect

4 Likes

Thanks! I always feel like such an idiot when I get the right kanji reading and accidentally screw up the okurigana.

Edit: It got stuck on the word 〜隊. I tried both たい and ~たい and it gave me the “do you even kana?” message every time.

1 Like

Yay! Will download once you fix the above. :smiley:

Thanks very much!

riya said...Thanks! I always feel like such an idiot when I get the right kanji reading and accidentally screw up the okurigana.

Edit: It got stuck on the word 〜隊. I tried both たい and ~たい and it gave me the "do you even kana?" message every time.
I'll have a look at it, but I have a couple questions. Were you doing a lesson or a review? Do you have the latest version (0.3)?

Never mind I found the problem, will update soon.

EDIT: Okay it should be all set now.

I’ve been waiting for something like this for forever!!

Thanks a bunch Ethan, this will surely take some stress away from my reviews! ^-^

sorry, I messed up the last update stand by…

okay, fixed now. for some reason I changed the sign of the offset in the last update, which was stupid. you wouldn’t have noticed unless you were doing a review with katakana in it (as it would not have paired it with the appropriate hiragana)

Downloading now. Hurrah!

I don’t understand what it does :frowning:
Anyone mind to explain?

Dunedune said... I don't understand what it does :(
Anyone mind to explain?
 Let's say, for example, you are asked the reading of 例えば. And you type たとあば instead of たとえば, you got the difficult kanji bit - たと - right, since the okurigana was clearly in the question, that must have been a typo if you got it wrong, so you get a second chance. :-)
1 Like

I just installed it (so I assume latest version) and to my great satisfaction I didn’t need it in my 90+ morning reviews, but on the first lesson I tried:

(on firefox, browser and greasemonkey are up to date)

It’s surprising how the users are starting to fix WaniKani instead of the owners…hmm

magneac said... I just installed it (so I assume latest version) and to my great satisfaction I didn't need it in my 90+ morning reviews, but on the first lesson I tried:
 ![](upload://nTpEIOiqExbhFvsU5JcMTiMhDC3.png)
(on firefox, browser and greasemonkey are up to date)

Ill have a look at it tonight. Thanks for the feedback.

@magneac
I had that same problem while doing my lessons using Chrome yesterday. It might have been an earlier version of the script though. I should be up to date now so I’ll see if I still have issues.

Edit: Yeah, it happened again while typing in the meaning during lessons. I got through the first 10 lessons without any issues. The only difference I can think of is that the other vocab words were kana-free jukugo whereas this one was a verb (移る)

EskimoJo said...
Dunedune said... I don't understand what it does :(
Anyone mind to explain?
 Let's say, for example, you are asked the reading of 例えば. And you type たとあば instead of たとえば, you got the difficult kanji bit - たと - right, since the okurigana was clearly in the question, that must have been a typo if you got it wrong, so you get a second chance. :-)
 Oh, that's great, thank you!

I believe I have fixed the issue now.

Sorry, for some reason I thought the lessons use the same “questionType” value, suffice to say they do not.

What the script was doing was looking at the old review question type, seeing that it was ‘reading’ believed the lesson type was reading, parsed 謝る into /^.+る$/ saw that “to apologize” doesn’t match the regex and triggered.

あやま sorry! :stuck_out_tongue:

The update broke the lessons for me :frowning: The enter key reloads the page instead of sending the answer…
I’ve deactivated the script on lessons where it’s not important to get it right on the first try anyway, so it’s not an issue for me anymore, but maybe other users encountered the same thing?
(That said, it has proved very useful in reviews and I’m very thankful for this script :slight_smile: )

magneac said... The update broke the lessons for me :( The enter key reloads the page instead of sending the answer...
I've deactivated the script on lessons where it's not important to get it right on the first try anyway, so it's not an issue for me anymore, but maybe other users encountered the same thing?
(That said, it has proved very useful in reviews and I'm very thankful for this script :) )
Same here!
magneac said... The update broke the lessons for me :( The enter key reloads the page instead of sending the answer...
I've deactivated the script on lessons where it's not important to get it right on the first try anyway, so it's not an issue for me anymore, but maybe other users encountered the same thing?
(That said, it has proved very useful in reviews and I'm very thankful for this script :) )
 I'm also having this issue, except it's affecting my reviews as well. It's also happening with the WK Quick Info script.

I think I found the problem, but for some reason I wasn’t having issues myself.

Let me know if it is fixed now.

I should pay more attention.