Understanding plant names: モドキ suffix?

I’m still very much a novice, but I couldn’t help puzzling over phrases having モドキ at the and. For example, Queen Anne’s lace might be ドクゼリモドキ I think that means “False hemlock”. Is that right? Does modoki mean fake/false?

2 Likes

擬き(もどき) does seem to be a suffix that is used to mean pseudo-, or -like. For example, one of my dictionaries has the example sentence:

このかまぼこはカニもどきですね
This kamaboko (fish cake) is made to look like a piece of crab.

6 Likes

Looks pretty much like it:

2 Likes

Is this the provided English in the dictionary? I would have assumed from context that it means the fishcake uses imitation crab meat.

Yes, it is. It is from the O-LEX Japanese-English dictionary.

1 Like

That’s interesting… If you google カニ擬き all the results point to imitation crab. I’ll have to ask the Japanese teacher at my school what she thinks when she gets back from class, but I’d wager that’s a mistake on the dictionary’s part.

It could be rewritten with imitation crab no problem, I’m pretty sure. “Made to look like a piece of crab” is the same as “made of imitation crab” in this context imo, just different wording (since if it looks like crab, but isn’t crab, it’s imitation crab).

I misread it entirely and only just realized. I thought it said to look like a crab, like the image in my head was a crab-shaped fishcake :sweat_smile: :joy: It’s been a long week lol :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

You’ll actually learn this kanji in level 59. It means imitate, according to WK. It’s been a huge leech for me for a while, so thanks for this leech killer!