Understanding Death Note OP 1

I decided to try to understand the Death Note OP 1. The results can be found on this page (hiragana/translation modes + every word is a link to jisho.org). But I guess it makes sense to duplicate it here too (it’s just that here it’ll be more plain):

広がる闇の中交わし合った革命の契り
In the shadows that keep expanding, we exchange revolutionary vows.

誰にも邪魔させるワケにはいかないから
I won’t let anyone get in my way

果実が告げた未来夢,理想に変える
The recent past tells me of the future. My ideals become my dreams.

誰もが望んだ「終幕」を・・・
The ending that everyone desires.

広がる闇の中交わし合った革命の契り

誰にも邪魔させるワケにはいかない
I won’t let anyone get in my way

いつか僕が見せてあげる光り輝く世界を
Someday I’ll show you a world that shines in the light.

This is the best English translation I could find (both English and Japanese versions are from kitsunekko.net). To my beginner’s eye it looks more or less… correct? Maybe not correct, but it looks plausible and better than the other version I saw. But what I’m not sure I understand:

広がる闇の中交わし合った革命の契り

I believe there must be some particle after 中, mustn’t there? Which one?

果実が告げた未来夢,理想に変える
The recent past tells me of the future. My ideals become my dreams.

果実 can probably mean results of past actions.

The fact that 未来 follows the verb can probably be explained by dislocation.

It looks more like dreams become ideals, doesn’t it? Because に marks the destination?

誰もが望んだ「終幕」を・・・
The ending that everyone desires.

In the video they seem to pronounce 終幕 おわり, which is close, but what’s the matter? Should there be 終わり in place of 終幕 in the subtitles? Why do they quote it? Is this a made-up spelling?

It seems like an unfinished sentence. Is there an obvious continuation? Like:

The ending that everyone desires… (I’ll reach)

いつか僕が見せてあげる光り輝く世界を
Someday I’ll show you a world that shines in the light.

More like “a shining world” probably, but “a world that shines in the light” is probably also okay.

Well, some of the above are questions, some are things I’m not sure about (which you’re free to comment on). I could probably add more, but this much will probably do for now.

2 Likes

Does my brain have a reason to retain any of this information going forward?
こめんなさい

If you decided that I’m going to teach you something new, that’s unlikely. I’m rather asking for help. Anything that helps me better understand the lyrics.

In other words, I’m not sure I understand you.

AHHHHHH oh ok, sorry I thought you were sharing (sorry I can be a ****).
It is possible the artist omitted particles for rhythm.

This kanji is describing the final act of a play or movie (pronounced しゅうまく), where I believe 終わり is just “the end” but this is also a common thing in music where the lyrics and the word might be different but its to convey that kanji’s meaning. I have seen a few songs where they have 彼女 in the lyrics but its read きみ(君) or something like that.

2 Likes

No big deal. But you might say I was also sharing (see my first link). If you decide to check it out, I’m interested in what you think. I’m experimenting with what needs a beginner (or a non-native speaker) to understand (read) a Japanese text.

I think just like in English songs, songwriters take some creative liberties with grammar if it makes it flow better

This also means that dissecting Japanese song lyrics is probably something to do once you have a good grasp on grammatical rules, so that you can better understand when and why they’re broken. Imagine a non-native English speaker diving straight into Beatles lyrics or something

5 Likes