Trying to understand... idiom? Slang? Not sure how to put it

In particular, the phrase ‘クソして寝ろ’. I’ve seen it translated as ‘take a shit and hit the sack’ while googling it as well as a bunch of rather grotesque caricatures but I’m not exactly sure what the phrase means, so to speak.

1 Like

There’s a pixiv dictionary entry for it: くそしてねろ (くそしてねろ)とは【ピクシブ百科事典】

The meaning seems pretty literal - really just take a dump (have a bowel movement, elongate your spine, go number 2, pick a euphemism) and go to sleep. The origin appears to be a manga, though I’m not at all sure what the context for it is. That’s probably where the grotesque image you see comes from as well.

8 Likes

According to some page unearthed by Google it means:
“Go to the bathroom and get some sleep.” It is used for people who persistently complain or ask questions. It may mean, “Your opinion is as boring as a poo,” or "You are like a child to complain so much. If you are a child, go to the bathroom like a child and go to bed.

8 Likes

According to the link you posted

便所に行って大便をし、さらに寝てしまえばすっきり忘れることができることから
古来より諦めることを促すという意味で使われてきた。

(emphasis mine)
So, it means to just stop thinking about a bad outcome.

7 Likes

Okay, this seems to be the closest for the context I’m looking for, since there it’s one character chastising another. Only problem being that it’s also a callback to a previous scene where the second character took it as genuine advice rather than an annoyed outburst…

Translating stuff can sure get involved.

3 Likes