Trouble with a sentence in a manga (地縛少年花子くん)

I think I have the gist of this sentence, but I feel like I’m missing something here. (It’s from Ch 46 if you’re familiar with the series):

「あんまり見てると行きたくなちゃうから」「もうどこにも行かないって決めたのに」
(these are two speech bubbles spoken by Hanako-kun to Nene)

My literal interpretation is:
If I’m not seeing much, I don’t want to go, so I already decided I’m not going anywhere

It sort of makes sense given the scene (Amane seems resigned, as if he knew his fate from being Hanako-kun) but I thought I would ask for a second opinion.

2 Likes

Tbh I think you’re right… It would be something he said before.:skull:

あんまり見ている means “looking too much,” it’s not negative

行きたくなっちゃう means “I end up wanting to go”

5 Likes

Aye, to break this one down a bit, it’s 行きたい in adverbial form + なる in て-form + しまう in casual form.

5 Likes

しまう

1 Like

That’s what I said, isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What they said. Also, the next part is “even though I decided” (決めたのに) rather than “so I decided”

6 Likes

The answer to this one is already above my post.

On the other hand, there’s no answer yet for this one.
もうどこにも行かない=I’m not going anywhere.
って=I said, or like in this case: another way of saying とこと. They added 決めた right afterwards, so it functions as a quote from an event before ‘right now’.
決めたのに=despite being decided.

So in full, もうどこにも行かないって決めたのに=even though I already decided to not go anywhere.
You need the previous sentence in order to have a full sentence, but since others already helped you out with that one, I skipped it here.

1 Like

Well, not exactly - in this case it means “I decided”. って is the casual quotation particle, but it doesn’t literally mean “I said” - here it’s quoting what the decision was. もう「どこにも行かない」って決めた - I already decided “I won’t go anywhere”.

3 Likes

Also, I thought the title of the manga strange, so I googled it, and it turns out it’s 地縛 not 地爆 :stuck_out_tongue:

I… thought I answered that. Was I not clear? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

My IME gave me a super wacky reading and I didn’t have the book in front of me, eep! :weary:

1 Like

Yashiro asked him to look at the stars and he said he’s fine with not looking. “If i look i, might end up wanting to go, and i’ve already decided not to go anywhere.” That’s what i took it to mean.

Also i’m really surprised to find someone else reading hanako besides me! How do you like it so far? I’ve just finished Volume 13 yesterday and i’m completely in love with it (if you can’t tell from the profile pic :joy:). Also the arc your on right now is awsome. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s kind of like a straight Cardcaptor Sakura, but I have enjoyed it. I read a little bit of the manga from a BookLive preview, then I saw the anime, then I binge-read vol 1-9 in English. (I read the first volume in Japanese but for some reason it was a slog. The typography doesn’t help.) I bought vol 10 a couple of days ago and this arc is hurting my heart.

1 Like

its also a long arc so be ready from more heartache, up until volume 12 at least.

Please read my post more carefully before correcting me with the correction I already provided before your correction.

You only explained what 決めたのに means, not the full story.

What did this part mean? What is とこと?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve read over the post three times, and I still can’t see the correction I was supposed to have corrected before I corrected the correction.

Ah, so I guess I was not clear, then.
OP had already shown understanding of the rest of that sentence, so I didn’t feel the need to talk about it.

and

ーーーーーーーーーーーー

Turns it into a noun.
もうどこにも行かないって→the thing
決めた→I decided.

It’s not that difficult to understand the explanation if you read it in full!

You’re saying that もうどこにも行かないって is equivalent to もうどこにも行かないとこと? Which is a noun phrase?

2 Likes