Trouble finding a very specific, common word

Hi WK. I’ve been trying to find a verb or verb phrase that equates to the English “to take care of” or German “pflegen.” You know, like how your parents take care of you or you take care of a dog.

I have found 庇う but that’s more like maintain a machine. I found 担う on WK but that’s like accepting a responsibility. 扱う too is more like handle something which sounds slightly burdensome. And I’m not sure if 飼う carries a similar nuance with pets.

I feel like because it’s a relatively common concept, it is either a verb phrase that i can’t find or the nuance is carried in a similar verb.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

世話をする?
面倒を見る?

I mean, I don’t know if there’s something that is both like a parent caring for a child and someone caring for a dog, because to me those feel different, but you didn’t mention those so I figured I’d toss them out.

1 Like

Those are my first two guesses, but on the off chance they’re wrong…

世話を焼く??
手当てする
手助けする
手伝う???
助ける??????
養う?!

edit: wait I misunderstood what OP wanted lol

1 Like

Thanks guys. I normally use 世話をする but my tutor said that was inappropriate when talking about taking care of a friend for a long period of time, so i was wondering if there was another verb. Maybe i should have explained that as well.

So your tutor told you not to use 世話をする but didn’t tell you what to use instead? That’s not very helpful!

1 Like

Yeah, she said she was gonna get back to me cause it racked her brain. She’s a native but she’s elderly so she does that sometimes. But $10 an hour beats the $50 or $60 people charge

What specifically do you want to say? For the general case, 世話をする and 面倒を見る are the most common I think. But then you bring up a different situation and start talking about long-term care. Do you mean nursing care like 介護 or just generally helping out like 手伝う? Without any further information I’d suggest the latter. It sounds like you’re helping out your neighbor.

扱う is used for pets in my experience. In the same way one would say “I have a dog” in Japanese you’d say “I’m raising a dog” using this verb. For children it would be 育つ. If I were performing some care for my children and didn’t want to specifically say what I’m doing (like changing a diaper) I might say 子供の面倒を見ています (so I’ll call you back in 5 minutes).

1 Like

It’s more like take care of a friend’s kids so 子供の面倒を見ています。

1 Like

Let us know what your tutor says. This page explaining what a nanny does, uses both these words. And 子育て as well.

ナニーは子どもたちと一緒に子ども部屋で寝起きをし、洗顔から朝食など一日中面倒をみる。テーブルマナーから口のきき方、身のこなし、部屋の後片付けの面倒などをみる。子どもに家庭教師がつけられるか、学校に行くようになるまでの重要な時期に子育てをする

イギリスの金持ちの子どもの世話をするのは、ナニーとガヴァネスに分けられる。

1 Like

I’ll run it by her but this passage matches what I’m describing!

Thanks all, she said 面倒を見る was more appropriate because it was more temporary.

1 Like