Translation of 彼は気をシャンと取りなおし、家に入っていった。

So, I’m continuing to learn grammar by going over different grammar points of a large sentence sample.

So far so good, but I encountered this sentence and I’m not entirely sure how to interpret it.

It is given as such:
JP: 彼は気をシャンと取りなおし、家に入っていった。
EN: Trying to pull himself together, he let himself into the house.

So, my specific questions are:

1. What is シャン or シャンと… is that supposed to be シャント (shunt) ??? If that’s the case why is it written with both kata-hira-gana and what the hell does it do in that sentence?
  2. What is 気 there for?

I would really appreciate if someone can help me parse that sentence and figure out nuances of its construction.

Sometimes onomatopoeia/mimetic words are written in a variety of ways.

気をしゃんとする means “to pull yourself together”.

As a level 60 on WK, I’m sure you know 気 has many meanings.

1 Like

So THAT’S what it was… and I did search the jisho before posting obviously, but it didn’t show me this entry for some reason… I guess because I was typing it in katakana.

Thank you for sharing. Now it makes sense. I just have to learn this specific phrase as a fixed expression then.

Just to be even more clear grammatically. しゃんと is only an adverb here. It’s modyfing 気を取り直す, which is the part that means “To put oneself together”.

3 Likes

Ah, yeah, しゃんと can take する but it’s not here, woops.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.