Translation of わたしから隠れられるものか。

As before, I’m continuing to learn grammar by going over different grammar points of a large sentence set.

And yet again there’s a sentence that I’d like to get second opinion about. So, I just wanted to confirm if my assumption is correct.

It is given as such:
JP: わたしから隠れられるものか。
EN: You can’t hide from me.

The way I tried to parse it in my head is:
わたしから = from me
隠れられる = can hide (potential form)
ものか = as if

So, I would think it is along the lines of “as if you can hide from me”.

1 Like

ものか doesn’t seem to have a meaning in itself, and it seems to flip the sentence’s meaning to be the opposite of what’s written, like what you gave for your example. That being said, I don’t think your translation’s wrong at all. It’s pretty much the same thing, just worded differently. Depending on the context and the personality of the speaker, I think either translation would make sense.

Personally, I’d be more likely to translate it the way you did. While “You can’t hide from me” is correct I don’t feel it captures the nuance of the original Japanese as well as “As if you can hide from me” does. I feel that there’s a sort of incredulity implied in the sentence, like “Do you really think you can hide from me?”.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.