Translation of this Japanese sentence

[実は、先生に折りに入ってご相談したいことがありまして。。。]

I understand the general meaning of the sentence. The person wants to ask someone (in this case a professor) for advice.

But what exactly is 折りに入って supposed to mean? The pronunciation (furigana) is おりにいって.

Thanks!

折り入って means “earnestly”, the only difference is that the に particle was included

So it’d be something along the lines of, “Actually, there was something I really (earnestly) wanted to discuss with the professor…”

Okay, thanks. Do you know why the particle was included? Is that a grammar point I just haven’t learned yet or a uncommon choice by the author?

Since I can’t find 折りに入って used anywhere when searching for it, I’m assuming it’s just a choice by the author :thinking:

My girlfriend thinks it’s a mistake. Where did you find it?

A crime novel called ホームズ亭の事件簿. I can’t even find this book anywhere on Google (many other Holmes books of course but not this exact title). It probably is a mistake… I’m just going to ignore the に and hope there aren’t too many other mistakes in the book.

Thanks everyone.

@Felisto (Sorry for hijacking the topic,) :pensive:

For the same sentence can anybody explain how does ご fit in this sentence. I mean wouldn’t the sentence mean the same thing without it.

It just adds to the politeness of 相談

So it’s just like お but for abstract concepts. Like consultation etc?

お is just for kun and ご is for on. お尻 uses kun so it has お and ご覧 uses on so it has ご.

Why are you being so polite to people’s 尻 ?

Because its always has to deal with so much shit I have quite a bit of respect for it.

It’s not quite that clear cut, unfortunately. For instance, お勉強 and お茶. But yeah, お is the kunyomi of the character 御 (level 39 here) and ご is its onyomi. It can get used in mixed readings though.

Yeah, it isn’t free from the fact that every god damn concept in japanese has some exceptions, but its a general rule that will give you a pretty good guess. There is also exceptions to the statement that it just makes it more “polite”, like お湯 where it actually changes the nuance of the word.