Translation of this Japanese sentence

[実は、先生に折りに入ってご相談したいことがありまして。。。]

I understand the general meaning of the sentence. The person wants to ask someone (in this case a professor) for advice.

But what exactly is 折りに入って supposed to mean? The pronunciation (furigana) is おりにいって.

Thanks!

折り入って means “earnestly”, the only difference is that the に particle was included

So it’d be something along the lines of, “Actually, there was something I really (earnestly) wanted to discuss with the professor…”

3 Likes

Okay, thanks. Do you know why the particle was included? Is that a grammar point I just haven’t learned yet or a uncommon choice by the author?

Since I can’t find 折りに入って used anywhere when searching for it, I’m assuming it’s just a choice by the author :thinking:

1 Like

My girlfriend thinks it’s a mistake. Where did you find it?

1 Like

A crime novel called ホームズ亭の事件簿. I can’t even find this book anywhere on Google (many other Holmes books of course but not this exact title). It probably is a mistake… I’m just going to ignore the に and hope there aren’t too many other mistakes in the book.

Thanks everyone.

@Felisto (Sorry for hijacking the topic,) :pensive:

For the same sentence can anybody explain how does ご fit in this sentence. I mean wouldn’t the sentence mean the same thing without it.

It just adds to the politeness of 相談

1 Like

So it’s just like お but for abstract concepts. Like consultation etc?

お is just for kun and ご is for on. お尻 uses kun so it has お and ご覧 uses on so it has ご.

2 Likes

Why are you being so polite to people’s 尻 ?

Because its always has to deal with so much shit I have quite a bit of respect for it.

6 Likes

It’s not quite that clear cut, unfortunately. For instance, お勉強 and お茶. But yeah, お is the kunyomi of the character 御 (level 39 here) and ご is its onyomi. It can get used in mixed readings though.

Yeah, it isn’t free from the fact that every god damn concept in japanese has some exceptions, but its a general rule that will give you a pretty good guess. There is also exceptions to the statement that it just makes it more “polite”, like お湯 where it actually changes the nuance of the word.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.