Translation Help - Quilting instructions

Under 全てカラフルに
端切れ(はぎれ)で with odds and ends (scraps of cloth) 充分(じゅうぶん)作れます you can make it sufficiently
I think the next line is ??色で楽しみましょう

1 Like

Is it 色々色で。。。 If so, how delightful!

1 Like

I don’t think so… but still trying to figure out the first kanji!
EDIT: found it! 配色 はいしょく colour scheme

2 Likes

We’re in the same time zone, but it’s well past my bedtime, so おやすみなさい。

2 Likes

That looked like 2 characters, not one - well done! (really must go to bed…)

2 Likes

Thanks for the input everyone! It was great practice on my end as well!

Here’s just one more page (split in to two):

I wonder if I’m even better than google translate, but here goes.

Monthly Sew/Sue (September)

– Moon viewing –

Way of making it
Copy the bottom drawing on the front side of the foundation cloth and do applications in order.
Make a mark on the front side of the application cloth that goes on top, leave a sewing margin of 0.3 cm and cut.
On top of the applied cloth, it’s not necessary to apply where the next cloth will be.

1. Put applications on the the foundation cloth in order (following numbering)
  2. Combine the front side, quilt cotton and backing fabric in three layers, then quilt. (the surrounding of the application is dropped quilt) what?
  3. Finish by doing a piping process on the surrounding with straight bias cut to be 3.5 cm.

Second image:
Kit content:

• foundation cloth (up) 14 x 21.5 cm * backing fabric 21.5 x 21.5 cm
  • ground cloth 20 x 10 cm * piping 29 x 27 cm x 1/2
  • articulation 5 x 6 cm x 2 types :red_circle: * thread
  • // 6x6 cm x 5 types :large_orange_diamond: (no orange circle available :confused:)
  • // 7.5 x 8.5 cm x 2 types :large_blue_circle:

There’s no quilt cotton inside.

The fabric was selected to be as close as possible to the specimen, but since the kits are made from recuperated items, there may be some small differences. Thank you for your understanding.

(On the bottom right: contact info of the shop)

2 Likes

Nath you a legend, but we need to introduce you to some fundamental sewing terms! :joy:
アップリケ: An appliqué is ornamental needlework in which pieces of fabric in different shapes and patterns are sewn or stuck onto a larger piece to form a picture or pattern.

刺しゅう糸 is embroidery thread (different to regular thread)

3 Likes

Yeah, I figured I was going to get things very very wrong. I am learning a lot :slight_smile:
baby kilt

3 Likes

I googled 落としキルト
ピースワークやアップリケをした縫い目の際にするキルティングのこと。表から見えないようにキルティングをしますが、モチーフが浮き上がって見えるので、陰影を出す効果があります。
So it seems you outline the motif without the stitches showing.

2 Likes

I thought of mentioning a couple myself, but I’m actually having a hard time ('cause my Japanese bites the big one) of understanding the gist of some of this (plus OP might not need my ‘translation’).

Sewing margin = seam allowance
quilt cotton = cotton batting / quilt batting / wadding

That said, there are dialectal differences within English - my Aussie teacher kept talking about ‘cotton’ or ‘sewing cotton’ - took me an AGE to realise she meant ‘thread’!

Edit: She calls it this even when the thread is polyester!!!

3 Likes

@JessDoubleThink I found a couple of pages with Japanese sewing terms, these may be of interest to the lady who gave you the documents to translate, if she regularly gets materials from Japan.

2 Likes

:joy: Yes, this is what i grew up with! I guess the materials change faster than the language. The same way we still “hoover” while using some other brand of vacuum cleaner.

2 Likes

I followed your link and quickly saw the list is origanlly from a French blog - I can see you are determined to transform Nath into a trilingual fashion designer!

3 Likes

I cannot access the original French blog, though :frowning:
There’s another one at the bottom, but I could only find articles on how to make various clothing articles, rather than a comprehensive word list.

Anyway, I can confirm I know nothing on the topic. I didn’t even know how much I didn’t know :smile:

表: right side
裏: wrong side

WHAT?

3 Likes

PDF of Japanese sewing terms from Kyasurin’s link above - there’s a lot of katakana!

1 Like

Like origami paper, fabric is usually printed one side, and the back is much lighter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I understood that from the previous parts of this thread. I’m just amazed by the English words for those. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

A printed or textured fabric has a right (correct) side and a wrong (unprinted/ less- or differently-textured side) - you need to make sure you have the fabric laid out correctly (usually wrong-side up) when you are laying out your pattern pieces before you cut the fabric up.

Edit: Kyasurin is both more succinct and a faster typist than I!

2 Likes

I could access it when I first tried, but now I can’t - maybe try again later??

1 Like