Translation from grade reader

Do I translate this right?

Tonight I ate a hotdog.
Oh Oh so delicious!
From the moment it became very cold, I went to sleep.

5 Likes

I think, you translated it right, although I think, in the final sentence the から is not the “from” から、but “because” から

It became very cold – so went to sleep at once.

9 Likes

In addition to what @trunklayer said, there’s nothing here saying it became cold. It just says “it’s cold, so I went straight to bed/went to sleep right away”

12 Likes

That’s probably just because of the から confusion

2 Likes

Could be, but I noticed Trunky’s translation kept it, so I felt it was worth pointing out

4 Likes

Based on the story the dog it talking about the weather.

That much is clear from the use of 寒い, it’s just that there’s nothing in the text that describes a change in the weather. It’s cold. Maybe it just got cold, maybe it’s been cold for years on end now. We don’t know, because the text doesn’t say that, it just says “it’s cold”.

5 Likes

Dogs go to sleep because of the cold even in 30 degrees. At least the ones I knew certainly did.

1 Like

Isn’t thst how japanese works, you kind of know what it is talking about.

It became cold, so I immediately went to sleep would be
“寒いなりましたから、すぐ寝ました”

3 Likes

I don’t know what you’re trying to say here, really.

Japanese has ways to indicate a change. None were used here. The statement “とても寒い” is a simple statement of fact (or opinion, I guess), meaning “it’s very cold” - nothing more, nothing less. Nothing is said about becoming cold. Presumably it became cold at some point, but that’s not what’s being said here. At the time this story is talking about, it’s cold.

7 Likes

Not really, no. The language isn’t inherently vague, when it tells you something it’s just as precise about what it tells you as English is – it’s just that sometimes the set of things that aren’t usual to mention explicitly is different than with other languages.

Japanese has ways to say “it got cold” that are distinct from “it was cold”, and this sentence isn’t using them, so translating it as “it got cold” is wrong.

9 Likes

I think you explained why it isn’t became in this case, but I just wanted to add that I read @izildop 's translation as "the hot dog [it] became cold, because of the “became”. XD

I would translate the sentence as:

Tonight I ate a hotdog.
Ah, delicious!
Since it was very cold, I immediately fell to sleep.

4 Likes

Here the page from the grade reader.

2 Likes

And here is the reader itself:

1 Like

just asking because it seems a bit random, is there anything you’d like us to do with it? Anything you’re still unclear about or disagree with? Or are you sharing it just because?

1 Like

Oh no, it’s clear to me now, just sharing, maybe to clear things up. But I learned kara can be used as because to.

3 Likes

Which graded reader set is this? I’m always open to new books.

Oh so you think that the hot dog became cold? That would be 冷たい (つめたい), actually. 寒い (さむい) must be about the cold weather, not about cold objects.

6 Likes

That would be 寒くなりましたから

I also think it isn’t change of state, of describing the having of 寒い state, which the Kanji / vocabulary is specific to weather.

@ekg On a second read, I am not sure if you think it is really became or not. Also, in the new translation, what does it in the last line refers to?

5 Likes