Translating "WaniKanian English" into English thread

As a Russian-speaker, I can feel your pain. We don’t have articles in our language at all so it has always been confusing me, and especially annoying when doing reviews in WaniKani. I know for sure that 世界 means “world” and getting it wrong only because i didn’t put an article is infuriating. Ignore script helped a lot though, I do not care about using articles when translating Japanese and if I ever will do that, I will translate it into Russian, so cba remembering it.

1 Like

Can someone explain the difference in the articles in the phrases “middle of the night” and “late at night”? I.e. why in the first case there is “the”, but in the second there is no article.

There’s no reason for it. Just two different phrases that ended up two different ways.

Not sure if this will help. Technically, that’s a variation of the claw radical when it’s a top component. WaniKani / Radical / Claw Another component variant is 爫 The claw radical is only listed as being in the claw kanji, but it’s actually in a lot of kanji. Knowing its variations should help you remember their meanings.

It’s just one of the difference between the articles “of” and “at”.

“at” normally only has “the” after it for places, and not times. (eg. at the football game, at the club) / (at night, at 2pm)

“of” can be used for time only in relation to defined events or nouns, when we need to use “the”, and pretty much always in these phrases (the start of the ‘concert’, the middle of the ‘game’, the end of the ‘day’)

1 Like

I see, makes more sense now.

Can’t wait for my blue book of grammar to arrive.

An eddy is a circular current of water, so I’m not sure how you could dig one… but think of the little whirlpool that forms when you move your hand or a paddle through the water.

Difference between a spring and a fountain?

I believe “spring” is just a natural source of water.

Difference between…

Inquiry and Enquiry. You must notice this if you use No Cigar.
WaniKani / Vocabulary / 諮問
Difference Between Enquiry and Inquiry | Difference Between

About spelling, I also noticed another one. Embarrassing has two ‘r’. However, WaniKani / Vocabulary / 辱める mistakenly have one ‘r’.

Again, appears in No Cigar.

What is ‘Suspension of Indictment’ (起訴猶予)? What is the difference from ‘Suspended Sentence’ (執行猶予)?

What should I add as a synonym?

“Suspension of indictment” is when you have been accused of a crime, but the trial is delayed until later (for example, because they can’t locate you).

“Suspension of sentence” is after you are found guilty, and your punishment is delayed to give you a probation period instead.

I don’t know of any good synonyms.

2 Likes

In French “hégémonie”, “bureaucrate”, “instiguer”, “piété“ and “filial”… Definitely not words you use everyday but not completely unusual (“bureaucrate” is probably the most common).

I sometimes use “antépénultième” but not many people understand it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.