Translating Pokemon Black (Until First Gym) - 100% Done

With this, I re-played all the Pokemon games post-Nintendo DS in Japanese which means that I covered all the regions/generations.

Hello everyone,

I am back with another challenge and this time I will stick to it until the end.

I always try to find fun ways to learn Japanese. I tried to do this challenge with a JDrama but it was way above my level which made it just impossible.

Basically, one of my favorite ways to practice my Japanese reading skills is to re-play old Pokemon games. You get to choose between Kana or Kanji but I have always chosen Kana. Now I am more comfortable with those and I can read a good amount of Kanji so I started enabling the Kanji feature. I also use Jisho a lot to discover new Kanji that I didn’t know how to read before using their “radicals” feature.

I think Pokemon is a great game to practice Japanese because it’s made for a young audience so it’s not too complicated and you don’t need a console to play it (emulator baby…don’t tell anyone). I also noticed that they don’t use Kanji everywhere so you have some words in just Kana. I don’t know why I guess because young people don’t know all the Kanji so they just display the ones they have studied so far? Maybe…it’s always funny how you spend 3 hours playing but you discover that you are still in the same village haha.

Anyway, enough of the rant. It’s time to take action! So I will try my best to translate as much as possible but I hope you can help me at least with the grammar parts or some of the Kanji that I can’t read. Someday, I might make a website where people translate games/anime/manga for those who want to learn Japanese if I get enough motivation.

The goal of this whole thing is to improve my Japanese grammar/typing skills and inspire some people to practice Japanese even more. If you’ve been kind of lazy with Japanese lately this is your chance to start working on it again and be part of this amazing journey!

If you have any idea for this challenge don’t be shy, any advice can be useful!

Things You Need To Know:

1. My translations will be fixed depending on the answers I get so they might not be 100% right (the goal is to have something understandable not perfect).
  2. When Images are placed in a row it means that it’s a long sentence(sometimes it’s just more convenient for me).
  3. Special Remarks/Questions are in bold so the goal is to have the least amount of bold characters in the translations.
  4. The Kanji that I can’t read/find is replaced by a ?.
  5. You will have a LATEST UPDATE! among my translations to indicate where I added my last translations.
  6. You have Coming soon above the content that is not translated yet.
  7. I try to add New content has been added in my comment whenever I add new content to the original post so it’s like my own way to notify you.

PS: Not everything gets translated in one sitting so feel free to check older parts and see if some parts weren’t translated completely/correctly.

The series ends after beating the first gym (around 500 Screenshots overall).
Needless to say, I will avoid checking the original translations until the project is finished.

Okay, our journey starts here :

Main Screen // 4 screenshots

ポケットモンスターブラック → Pokemon Black

No Kanji for the moment because we aren’t in-game yet.
さいしょからはじめる → Start from the beginning
ふじぎなおくりもの → Mystery Gift
Wi-Fiせってい → Wi-Fi settings
マイクテスト → Microphone test

ゲームで つかう もじは ひらがな・カタカナに しますか? Do you want to use the game in hiragana/katakana letters?

それとも 漢字に しますか?Or do you want to use kanji?

The Professor's Speech // 44 screenshots

ハ—イ!-> Hi!

ポケットモンスターの 世界へ ようこそ!-> Welcome to the Pokemon world!

わたしの 名前は アララギと いいます → My name is Araragi.

みんなからは ポケモン博士 と 呼ばれているわ → Everyone calls me a Pokemon professor/expert.

そう! この 世界には ポケットモンスター → Yes! In this world, Pokemon…

ちぢめて「ポケモン」と呼ばれる 不思議な 生き物が いたる ところに いるの! → We call them “Pokemon” in short, these mysterious living creatures that are found everywhere!

不思議な 力を 秘めている ポケモンは 姿かたちも 暮らしている 場所も さまざま → The Pokemon who hold mysterious powers take on different forms and live in various places.

そんな ポケモンたちと わたしたち 人間は 仲良く暮らしているの → Those pokemon and we humans, we live in harmony.

いっしょに いることで お互い 満たされたり 力 を 合わせ 助け合い 大変な 仕事を こなしたり → While living together we complement each other. We join forces and help each other when handling difficult tasks.

なかでも 人気なのは ポケモン同士を 戦わせて きずなを 深める ことね → Among all, a popular thing is that Pokemon fellows fight to deepen their bonds.

で わたしは ポケモンたちを 研究している ってわけ → That’s why I research on Pokemon.

さて わたしの 話は これぐらいに して・・・・・・ → So, that’s the extent of my story.

あなたのことを 教えてくれるかな → Can you tell me more about yourself?

あなたは 男の子? それとも 女の子?-> Are you a boy? Or a girl?

男の子 なのね? → You are boy, right?

名前も 知りたいな → I would like to know your name as well.

あなたの名前を 教えて! → Tell me your name!

ヌレディン → Nuredin, inspired by my real name Noureddine “read as Nooredin”, Nour for short. (FML I just realized that I typed Ti instead of Di…).

ヌレディンくん でいい? → Nuredin is fine? (ignore the typo mistake for “di”, I will fix it).

ヌレディンと いう 名前! そごく すてき だよね!-> So you are called Nuredin, it’s so wonderful, right?

それでは あなたと いつも 一緒に いる お友達を あらためて 紹介するわね → Alright, let me introduce again the friend that you have always been with.

こちらの 男の子は チェレン → This guy is Cheren.

気難しい ところも あるけれど まっすぐな 男の子 → He has a moody side too but he is a straightforward guy.

こちらの 女の子は ベル → This girl is Beru.

ちょっと マイペース だけど がんばリやの 女の子 → She sometimes does things at her own pace but she is a hard working person.

これから あなたたち 3人を 見込んで 大事な 大事な ポケモンを プレゼントします → From now on, I count on you 3 and I will gift you very precious Pokemon.

旅の パートナーとなる ポケモン 選んだ その 瞬間から あなただけの 旅物語が 始まります → Once you choose your future partner, your own personal journey will start.

この 旅で あなたは 数多く ポケモン いろんな 考えの 人と 出会い 触れ合うでしょう! → In this journey you will meet countless Pokemon and will come into contact with people with different views/ways of thinking.

その 様々 出会いから あなただけの 大切な ものを ぜひ みつけてほしい・・・・・・ → Thanks to those encounters, I want you to find your own important thing/goal.

そう! たくさんの 人々 ポケモンと 触れ合い 自分自身を 成長させる → Indeed! You will be able to improve yourself by meeting a lot of People and Pokemon.

それが この冒険の もっとも 大きな 目的です → That’s the real/biggest goal from this adventure.

それでは いきましょう! ポケットモンスターの 世界へ!-> Alright, let’s go to/towards the Pokemon world!

First Village (カノコタウン) - Part 1 // 63 screenshots

ヌレディン → Nuredin (My name), this is part of my old screenshots, ティ is fixed to ディ

アララギ博士に 聞いたけれど ポケモンを もらえるんだって? → You asked professor Araragi, and she said we will get a Pokemon?

ベルは また•••••? → Beru is late again?

あのう ごめんね また 遅くなちゃった•••••• → Hmm…I am sorry, I am late again.

ねえ ベル きみが マイペースなのは 10年も 前から 知っているけど 今日は アララギ博士から ポケモンが もらえるんだよ → Say Beru, even though I have known that you do things at your own pace for as long as ten years, you knew that we will receive Pokemon from Professor Araragi.

はーい ごめんなさい ヌレディン チェレン → Yes! I am sorry guys.

で ポケモン どこなの? → So, where are the Pokemon?

ヌレディンの 家に 届いたんだし 選ぶのは ヌレディンからだよね → Since it has been delivered to Nuredin’s house, he should choose first.

もちろん → Of course.

その プレセントボックスの 中 ポケモンが 僕たちを 待っている → Inside that present box, there are Pokemon waiting to meet us.

さあ ヌレディン 一步 踏みだして プレセントボックスを 調べてよ はやく ポケモンと 会いたいんだ!-> Alright Nuredin, let’s take one step forward and check out the present box, I can’t wait to meet the Pokemon!

ヌレディンは プレセントボックスを 開けはじめた → Nuredin started opening the present box.

••••••この 手紙と いっしょに さん匹の ポケモンを 届けます きみと きみのともだち とで 仲良く 選んでね それでは よろしく!アララギ → This letter comes together with the Pokemon. You are choosing the Pokemon with your friends. I am counting on you. Araragi.

ポケモンを 選ぼう → Let’s choose a Pokemon.

じゃ! あたし この ポケモン! チェレンは このコ ね! → Then, I pick this Pokemon! Cheren picks this one, right?

どうして きみが ぼくの ポケモンを 決めるのさ••••••? → Why are you choosing my Pokemon?

まあ 最初から ポカブが ほしかったけど → Well, I wanted “Pokabu(Pokemon)” from the beginning anyway.

みんな じぶんの ポケモンを 選んだよね. ねえねえ! ポケモン勝負 しようよ! → Everyone got a Pokemon right? You know what? Let’s battle!

あのね ベル まだ 弱い ポケモンとはいえ 家の 中で ポケモン勝負は ダメだよ → Let me tell you something, Beru. Although our Pokemon are still weak, having a Pokemon battle inside a house isn’t good!

だいじょーぶ だって まだ このコたち 弱いんでしょ? → But it’s fine, they are still weak right?

戦わせて 育ててあげないと** というわけで ヌレディン!ポケモン勝負 はじめようよ! → We have to train them by letting them fight. That’s how it is, Nuredin. Let’s start a Pokemon fight/battle!

ふええ → Sigh

ヌレディン•••••• あなた すごい トレーナーに なれるんじゃない? → Nuredin, I think you might become an awesome trainer.

あたし そんな 気がする → That’s what I feel.

ベル、周りを 見れば?-> Beru, why don’t look around you?

うわあ! な なにこれ!? → Ohhhh! What…what is this?

ポケモンって すごーい! こんなに ちいさいのに! → Pokemon are so awesome! Even though they are so small!

あたし ポケモンに 出会えて よかった! → I am glad to have met them!

••••••あっ ヌレディン ごめんね → Ah…I am sorry, Nuredin.

••••••まったく しょうがないな きみは ほら! きづついた ポケモンの 回復を してあげるよ•••••• → Seriously…it can’t be helped. Come here! I will heal your injured Pokemon.

チェレンは ベルの ポケモンを 回復させた → Cheren was able to heal Beru’s Pokemon.

ヌレディンの ポケモンも 元気に してあげないと → Let me heal Nuredin’s Pokemon as well.

チェレンは ヌレディンの ポケモンを 回復してくれた → Cheren healed Nuredin’s Pokemon.

ねえねえ!チェレンも ポケモン勝負 してみたら? → Hey, why don’t you try to fight Cheren as well?

詳しいから あたしのように しっちゃかめっちゃかに することなく 上手に 戦えるでしょう! → Since he knows a lot about it he will be able to fight without getting as messy as me.

もちろん•••••••! → Of course…

ぼくの 知識が あれば これ以上 部屋を 汚すわけないし → With my knowledge, there is no reason to make the room any dirtier than this.

ないなより きみたちだけで ポケモン勝負を 楽しむのは フェア じゃないよね → More importantly, it’s not fair that you are the only ones having fun.

とういわけで 相手してもらうよ → That’s how it is, this time I will be your opponent.

さあ ぼくたちの 初めての ポケモン勝負 ぼくが きみの 強さを ひきだすからね ポカブ!-> Since it is our first Pokemon battle, I will bring out your strength, Pokabu.

初めての 勝負で 思わぬ 不覚を 取ったけれど → Although I had a defeat in my first battle.

この 感動•••••• ようやく トレーナーに なれたんだ → This excitement/feeling…I finally experienced what it feels like to be a trainer.

••••••じゃなくて 部屋のこと きみの ママに 謝らないと いけないね → No, I mean…I have to apologize to your mom about what we did to the room.

あっ あたしもー! → Ah, me too!

First Village (カノコタウン) - Part 2 // 51 screenshots

騒がしくして 本当に すみませんでした → I am really sorry for making a lot of noise.

あ あのう おかたづけ•••••• → Ummm, the cleaning up…

かたづけ? → Cleaning up?

いいの いいの! あとで あたしが やっておくから → It’s fine, it’s fine! I will clean it later anyway.

それより アララギ博士に 会わなくて いいの → Other than that, shouldn’t you visit professor Araragi?

はい! では 失礼しますね → Yes, I am going/I have to leave then.

じゃあ アララギ博士に お礼を いいに いけないと → Then, give her my regards.

ポケモン研究所の 前で 待ってるよ → I will be waiting in front of the Pokemon laboratory.

あっ! あたし 一度 家にもどるね → Ah, I have to return home once.

おばさん どうも おじゃましましたあ → I am sorry for disturbing you/I have to go, aunt.

ヌレディン → Nuredin.

ポケモン勝負って ものすごーく にぎやか なのね! → A Pokemon battle is a very lively thing right?

下まで ポケモンの 鳴き声とか 聞こえてきたわよ → I could hear the Pokemon cries even from down here.

思い出しちゃうなー 初めての ポケモン勝負!-> I remember my first Pokemon battle…

そうだ! 勝負をした ポケモンを 休ませて あげないと → Ah, since the battle is over, let me heal your Pokemon.

ポケモン 元気に なったわね! → Your Pokemon feels better now.

あと でかけるなら ライブキャスター わすれないでね → Also, if you are going out don’t forget your “live caster”.

ヌレディンは ライブキャスターを 手に入れた → Nuredin obtained/received the “live caster”.

ヌレディンは ライブキャスターを 大切なものポケットに しまった → Nuredin “added” the “live caster” to the important/precious objects pocket.

あなたも 博士に お礼を いうんでしょ!? じゃ いってらっしゃい! → You are also going to thank the professor, right? Then, take care!

だめだめだめーっ!! → Nooooooooooooooooo!!!

あたしだって•••••• ポケモンを もらった 立派な トレーナー なんだもん → Even I…received a Pokemon, I am also a splendid trainer?

冒険だって できるんだから! → I can even go on an adventure!

あっ → Ah.

••••••大丈夫だよ ••••••大丈夫-> …it’s fine…fine.

それじゃ あたし 研究所の前で まってるからね → Then, I am waiting in front of the laboratory.

さ! 博士に 会おう → So, let’s meet the professor.

ハーイ! → Yeeeeees/Hiiiiii!

まってたわよ ヤングガールに やングボーイ! I have been waiting for you, young girl, young boys.

あらためて 自己紹介 するね → I will introduce myself again.

わたしの 名前は•••••• → My name is…

・・・・・・アララギ博士?名前は しっていますよ → Professor Araragi? I do know your name.

もう! チェレンったら ちょっと クールじゃない? → Come on! Can you chill a bit Cheren?

きょうは 記念となる 日でしょ かしこまったほうが いいじゃない? → It’s a celebration day today, what’s wrong with listening more attentively?

では あらためて・・・・・・ → So once again…

わたしの 名前は アララギ! → My name is Araragi!

ポケモンという 種族が いつ たんじょうしたのか・・・・・・ その起源を 調べています → When were Pokemon born…I am investigating that origin.

あっ すごーい! もう ポケモンしょうぶを したのね → Ah, so cool! You already had a Pokemon battle!

それでかな ポケモンたちも きみたちを 信頼し始めた・・・・・・ そんな感じ! - > So I wonder if you and your Pokemon started building trust…or something like that.

ところで ポケモンに ニックネームを つける? → By the way, will you give nicknames to your Pokemon?

なるほどなるほど ニックネームは つけないんだ ま それも ありだよね → I see…I see. So you didn’t give them a nickname. Well, that’s acceptable too.

さて きみたちに ポケモンを あげた 理由だけど ・・・・・・ → Well then, the reason I gave Pokemon to you is…

ポケモン図鑑 ですよね → The Pokédex right?

ポケモン図鑑・・・・・・? → Pokédex?

First Village (カノコタウン) - Part 3 // 63 screenshots

すごいすごい! さすが チェレン! → So cool! As expected from Cheren!

ポケモンの ことを よく 勉強しているわね → I see that you’ve been studying Pokemon very well.

ということで! あらためて 説明させて もらうわね → Considering that, let me give you an explanation once again.

ポケモン図鑑 とは・・・・・・! きみたちが 出会った ポケモンを 自動的に 記録していく ハイテクな 道具なの! → The pokédex…will automatically record the Pokemon you meet. It’s a high-tech tool.

だからね ヌレディンたちは いろんな ところに でかけ この イッシュ地方 すべての ポケモンに 出会ってほしいのッ! → That’s why I want you to go to different places and meet Pokemon in all kind of regions.

では お聞きしまーす → Now, please listen.

ヌレディン! チェレン! ベル! → Nuredin! Cheren! Beru!

ポケモン図鑑を 完成させるべく 冒険の 旅に 出かけるよね → You will go on an adventure in order to complete the Pokédex right?

はあーい じゃなくて はい!-> Yeeeeeeeees. No, I mean yes.

ありがとう ございます → Thank you.

おかげで 念願の ポケモントレーナーに なれました → Thanks to you, I am getting used to the fact that I want to be a Pokemon trainer.

ありがとッ みんな! 最高の 返事よね → Thanks everyone, you gave me the best answers.

ヌレディンは ポケモン図鑑を 手に入れた! → Nuredin received the Pokédex!

では 次のステップね ポケモンと 出会う 方法を 教えるから 一番道路に 来てね! →
For the next step, come to road number 1 so that I can teach you how to meet Pokemon.

あっ あたしたち 博士に 頼まれたから 冒険しても いいんだよね? → Ah, since the professor asked us, it is fine to go on an adventure, right?

自分の やりたいことを 探しても いいんだよね? → Is it okay to look for the things that I want to do?

ああ 図鑑を かんせいさせながらなら 好きなように 旅すれば いい → Yes. In that case, it’s fine to travel wherever you want while completing the Pokédex.

おうい! ヌレディン 待ってよう! → Hey! Wait for me Nuredin!

いたいた! で 博士の 話は どうだった → There you are! So, how was the Professor’s presentation/story?

I still don’t know how to do these points… they are more square than this ••••••

ポケモン図鑑の 完成を お願い されたんだ すごーい!! → She asked you to complete the Pokédex? Awesome!!

なーんてね → Just kidding…

じつは ママ その話は すでに しっているんだけどね とういわけで あなたたち この タウンマップを 持っていきなさいな → I actually already knew the story. Please take this town map.

ヌレディンは タウンマップを 手に入れた ヌレディンは タウンマップを 大切なものポケットに しまった → Nuredin received a town map. Nuredin added the map to the precious items pocket.

はい チェレン → There you go Cheren.

大切に 使います → I will make good use of it.

ほら ベルも → You too, Beru.

あ ありがとうございます! → Than…thank you!

あと ヌレディンの 部屋は あたしが かたづけて おくから べるたちは 気にしなくて いいのよ → Also, I will clean Nuredin’s room so you don’t have to worry about it.

ねっ ヌレディン → Say, Nuredin.

それにしても ポケモンって 本当に すごいのね! → All things considered, Pokemon are really awesome!

こんなに 可愛いのに 部屋を ふきとばすほどの とんでもない パワーを 秘めているんだもの → Even though they are so small, it’s unexpected that they can blow away the room to that extent. They know how to hide their power.

そんな ポケモンと 一緒なら どこに 行くのだって 安心よね! → As long as they are with you, I won’t have to worry about you wherever you go.

あなたたちの パパや ママには あたしから 伝えておくから! → I will communicate everything to your parents.

ポケモンだけ じゃなくて イッシュ地方 すてきなところ いっぱい いっぱい みつけて ステキな 大人に なるのよ! じゃ いってらっしゃい!! → You won’t only discover a big variety of lovely places, you will also become dependable adults. Take care!

タウンマップを 使えば 自分が どこにいるか わかる•••••• これは うれしいね → If I use the town map I can know where I am…this makes me happy.

じゃ 一番道路に 行こうか 博士が 待ってる → So, should we go to road number 1? The professor is waiting for us.

あっ 待ってよう ヌレディンも はやく 来てね → Ah wait, Nuredin hurry up.

ヌレディン こっち だよ! → Nuredin, this way!

ベルが 旅をはじるなら 最初の一步は みんな 一緒が いいって → Since Beru started, let’s do our first step together.

ねえ ヌレディン! → Hey, Nuredin.

みんなで 一緒に 一番道路に ふみだそうよ! → Let’s take the first step to road number 1 together!

じゃ 行くよ! → Let’s go!

せーの!! → One…two…three…go!

Going To The Second Village (一番道路) // 59 screenshots

ああ なんだろう どきどき ワクワク しちゃうね → Aaa…I wonder why my heart is beating so fast. I am so excited.

そうだね さ 博士が まってる → That’s what I feel as well. Come on, the Professor is waiting.

アララギ博士 お待たせ しました → Thanks for waiting, Professor Araragi.

それでは 説明を 始めますね! → So, let the explanations begin.

ポケモンと 出会うことで ポケモン図鑑の ページが 自動的に うまっていきます → When you encounter a Pokemon the Pokédex will fill itself with information automatically.

そして! ポケモンを 捕まえることで さらに 詳しい 情報が 得られるように なっているの! → When you catch a Pokemon, you will acquire more detailed information.

ということで わたしが 実際に ポケモンを 捕まえてみせまーす! → On that note, I will show you how to really/practically catch Pokemon.

今の 見てくれた? → Were you able to see it?

ポイントを 解説すると まず ポケモンの 体力を 減らすこと! → The point of this explanation is to decrease the Pokemon’s stamina first.

元気な ポケモンは つかまえにくいのよね できれば 自分の ポケモンの 技で 捕まえたい ポケモンを ねむらせたり まひさせると いいわ! → Catching a healthy Pokemon is hard. If possible, it would be good if your Pokemon’s move can make the Pokemon that you want to catch fall asleep or paralyzed.

それでは きみたちに モンスターボールも プレゼント! → Moreover, I will gift you Pokéballs.

ヌレディンは モンスターボールを 手に入れた → Nuredin received Pokéballs.

ヌレディンは モンスターボールを 道具ポケットに しまった → Nuredin added the Pokéballs to the tools pocket.

その モンスターボールは ポケモンを 捕まえたり 捕まえた ポケモンを 連れて 運ぶための 道具なの! → These Pokéballs allow you to do things such as catching Pokemon. They are tools to carry the Pokemon you catch along with you.

では わたしは この先 カラクサタウンで 待ってまーす! → Well then, I will go ahead and wait for you at “Karakusa” town.

ちなみに ポケモンが 飛びだしてくるのは 草むら さ じゃ ぼくも カラクサタウンに 向かうよ → By the way, Pokemon come out of the grass. Anyway, I will also go towards “Karakusa” town.

うん 賛成! → Yes, I agree!

それに 隣町まで 行かないと モンスターボールを 買えないし → Also, you can’t buy Pokéballs until you go to the next town.

ちょっと 待って! → Wait a second!

ねえねえ!ヌレディン チェレン あたし いいこと おもいついたんだけど → Hey Nuredin, Cheren. I thought about something good.

さあ 行こうか 博士も 待っているだろうし → So, let’s go. The professor is probably waiting as well.

ちゃんと きいてよ なんなよう もう! → What’s your problem? Listen to me properly!

どれだけ ポケモンを 捕まえたか みんなで 競争しようよ? → Let’s compete and see how far our Pokémon can go.

アララギ博士から もらった ポケモンも ふくめて たくさん ポケモンを 連れている 人が 勝ち ね! → The person who brings along a lot of Pokemon wins, including our starters.

なるほどね そういうことなら おもしろいな → I see. If that’s what you wanted to say it’s quite interesting.

図鑑の ページも 埋まるから 博士も 喜びだろうし → The professor will probably get happy if the Pokédex pages get filled with information.

ぞうだね それでは カラクサタウンに 着くまで ポケモンの 回復で 自宅で よろしく → That’s right. Well then, feel free to go to the Pokemon center when you arrive at “Karakusa” town.

あたしと ミジュマルの コンビが 一番に 決まってるもん → Me and “Mijumaru” (Pokemon) will become the best combo for sure!

どう? ヌレディン → What do you think? Nuredin.

どちらが たくさんの ポケモンを 連れているか くらべる? → Should we compare and see who has a lot of Pokemon?

えええ! まだ ツタージャ 一匹なの!? → What?! You still only have Tsutaja (Pokemon)?

••••••ほかの ポケモンを 捕まえないと ツタージャが さみしくないかなあ?-> Won’t he(Pokemon) feel lonely if you don’t catch other Pokemon?

ちなみに ポケモン図鑑を チェックすれば いままでに みつけた ポケモンの 数や 捕まえた数が わかる → By the way, if you check the Pokedex you can see the Pokemon we discovered and those we caught so far.

じゃあ カラクサタウンに 行くよ 博士が 待っている → Then, let’s go to “Karakusa” town, the professor is waiting for us.

ヌレディンは ライブキャスターを つなげた → Nuredin answered/opened the live caster.

ハーイ! みんな 元気? → Hi! How is everyone?

そろそろ ポケモンと 仲良くなった ころでしょ! → It’s about time you started getting along with Pokemon.

あっ 博士! いま カラクサタウンの ポケモンセンターに いるの! 案内してあげるから みんな はやく おいでよ! → Ah, Professor! We are going to “Karakusa” town now! Since you are guiding us we are coming there as soon as possible.

わかりました! ポケモンセンターですね! オッケイ! それじゃーねー! → Understood! Pokemon center it is! Okay! See ya!

••••••だってさ じゃ 先に 行くよ → You heard her…so I will go ahead.

Second Village (カラクサタウン) - Part 1 // 51 screenshots

ハーイ! ヌレディン!! → Hi! Nuredin!

ポケモンと ともに 道を行く! これが トレーナーの 喜びだよね ということで! トレーナーにとって 一番 大切な 施設を 教えるから ついてきてね! → Traveling along with your Pokemon! That’s the joy of every trainer. Anyway, I will show you the most important institution/facility to a trainer. Follow me!

ここが ポケモンセンター! なんとなく 落ち着くでしょ? → This is a Pokemon center! It somehow calms you down, don’t you agree?

それでは 案内しまーす! → Well then…I will be your guide!

あっ あたしも! → Ah, me too!

ポケモンセンターの すごい ところ! → The place the Pokemon center is known for!

それは なんと! ポケモンの 回復が できること! しかし 無料なの!トレーナーの 味方だよねー! → What a place! It’s possible to heal your Pokemon! On top of that, it’s free! A true ally to the trainer.

ほら ヌレディンも ポケモンの 回復を してみて! → Come on, you too Nuredin. Show me how you do it.

おつかれさまです! ポケモンセンター です → Thank you for coming! This is the Pokemon center.

ここでは ポケモンの 体力回復を します → We let Pokemon recover their stamina here.

あなたの ポケモンを 休ませて あげますか? → Should I make your Pokemon rest?

それでは お預かり いたします! → Then, I will take care of them.

おまちどうさま! → Sorry for the wait.

お預かりした ポケモンは みんな 元気に なりましたよ! → All of the Pokemon you left under supervision are fine now.

またの ご利用を おまちしてます! → I am waiting for your next visit!

オーケイ! ポケモン 元気に なったわね! → Okay! Your Pokemon were healed!

じゃ 次は ポケモンセンターの パソコンについて 説明でーす! → So, next you will have explanations concerning the computer.

これは パソコン!トレーナーなら だれでも 使えるの 連れている ポケモンを 預けたり
逆に パソコンに 預けている ポケモンを 引き出せるわ ちなみに ポケモンを 6匹 連れているときに 新しく 捕まえた ポケモンは 自動的に パソコンに 転送させるの! → This is a computer. Any trainer can use it to do things like deposit Pokemon from his current team. On the contrary, it’s possible to withdraw deposed Pokemon. By the way, you can only have 6 Pokemon. Every new Pokemon you catch is automatically transferred to the computer.

すばらしいでしょ! びっくりでしょ! → It’s amazing and surprising, right?

あと 博士のパソコンを 選べば わたしが 図鑑評価 しまーす!-> Also, if you choose the professor’s computer I will evaluate your Pokédex myself!

博士•••••• → Professor…

「だれかのパソコン」って だれの パソコンの こと••••••? → “Someone’s PC” what does it mean by that…?

まぁ べる! よく きづいたね! すっごく いい 質問よ → Oh Beru! Well noticed! That’s a very good question.

といいたいところ だけど 今は 気にせず 使えばいいわ! → Is what I would like to say but for now don’t worry about it too much. It’s fine if you use it.

だれか というのは パソコンでの ポケモンを預かりシステムを つくった 人の ことでね きみたちも いつか 出会うわよ! → This “someone” is the creator of the deposit system. You’ll meet him one day!

じゃ 次ね! → Let’s move on!

こちらは フレンドリィショップ! → This one is a friendly shop!

役立つ 道具を 買ったり 要らなくなった 道具を 売ったり できるの! → It’s possible to buy useful items and sell those you don’t need anymore.

おにいさんが 笑顔で 対応して くれるわよ! → He (the seller/cashier) will give/show you an unmatched smile!

さてとッ! → There you go!

これで きみたちに トレーナーの 基礎の 基礎は おしえたわよ! → With this, I told you the most basic stuff about trainers.

それでは わたしは カノコタウンに 戻ります → On that note, I will go back to “Kanoko” town.

最後に ひとつ!-> One last thing!

サンヨウシティに 行ったなら 発明家の マコモに 会いなさい わたしの 古くからの 友達で 冒険を 手助けしてくれるわ それでは がんばって! → Since you are going to “Sanyou” city you should meet the inventor “Makomo”. She is an old friend of mine, she will assist you with your adventure. Anyway, good luck!

きみたちの 旅が 実り多いもので ありますように! → I hope you will have a lot of rewarding experiences during your journey!

なに 買おうかなあ やっぱり キズぐすり とか モンスターボール 大事だよねえ → I wonder what should I buy…definitely things like potions! Pokéballs are important, right?

Second Village (カラクサタウン) - Part 2 // 67 screenshots

なんか 広場で 始まるらしいぞ! → It looks like something big is going to happen around here!

んじゃ ちょいと 行ってみるかね → Then, I will go and check what’s going on.

ヌレディン こっちに 来なよ → Nuredin, come here.

ワタクシの 名前は ゲーチス → My name is Geechisu.

プラズマ団の ゲーチスです → I am a member of team plasma.

今日 みなさんに お話しするのは ポケモン解放について です → Today, the story that I want to tell you is about releasing Pokemon.

われわれ 人間は ポケモンと ともに 暮らしてきました お互いを 求め合い 必要としあう パートナー そう思っておられる方が 多いでしょう → We humans have been living together with Pokemon. Partners who yearn for and need each other. Many of you have certainly thought so.

ですが 本当に ぞうなのでしょうか? → But is it really the case(that we support each other)?

われわれ 人間が そう 思い込んでいるだけ•••••• → It is only we humans who have been thinking this way…

そんな ふうに 考えことは ありませんか? → Have you ever thought about that?

トレーナーは ポケモンに 好き勝手 命令している•••••• → Trainers have been ordering their Pokemon as they please…

仕事の パートナーとしても こきつかっている••••••• → Even though they are our colleagues/partners we are making them work too hard.

そんなことはないと だれが はっきりと 言い切れるでしょうか → Could anyone affirm, clearly, with certainty, it is definitely not so?

いいですか みなさん → Is it okay with you everyone?

ポケモンは 人間とは 異なり 未知の可能性を 秘めた 生き物 なのです → Unlike humans, Pokemon are creatures that have a lot of potentials.

われわれが 学ぶべき ところを 数多く 持つ 存在なのです → They are beings who hold many secrets for us to ponder.

そんな ポケモンたちに対し ワタクシたち 人間が すべきことは なんでしょうか → What should we do as humans regarding those Pokemon?

そうです! ポケモンを 解放することです!! → Exactly! I am talking about releasing Pokemon!

そうしてこそ 人間とポケモンは はじめて 対等になれるのです → Humans and Pokemon will become equal for the first time as well.

みなさん ポケモンと 正しく 付き合うために どうすべきか よく考えてください → I want you all to think very deeply about what you should do in order to get along with Pokemon properly.

というところで ワタクシ ゲーチズの 話を 終わらせて いただきます ご清聴 感謝いたします → That’s all for me, my story ends here. Thank you for your attention.

今の 演説•••••• わたしたちは どうすれば いいんだ? → That speech…what should we do?

ポケモンを 解放って そんな そんな話 ありえないでしょ! → Releasing Pokemon…that story doesn’t make any sense!

キミの ポケモン 今 はなしていたよね•••••• → Your Pokemon just spoke right now…

••••••ずいぶんと 早口なんだな それに ポケモンが 話した•••••• だって? おかしなことを いうね → You speak very fast…also “The Pokemon just spoke”? You say some weird things.

ああ 話しているよ そうか キミたちにも 聞こえないのか•••••• かわいそうに → Ah, he is speaking. I see, you also can’t hear him…poor Pokemon.

ボクの 名前は N(エヌ) → My name is N.

••••••ぼくは チェレン こちらは ヌレディン → I am Cheren. This is Nuredin.

頼まれて ポケモン図鑑を 完成させるための 旅に でたところ もっとも ぼくの 最終目標は チャンピオン だけど → We ended up taking a request to go on a journey in order to complete the Pokédex. That being said, my final goal is to be a champion.

ポケモン図鑑ね•••••• そのために ポケモンを モンスターボールに 閉じ込めるんだ → The pokédex huh? For that reason, you are shutting in Pokemon inside Pokéballs.

ボクも トレーナーだが いつも 疑問で しかたない ポケモンは それで シアワセなのか って → Although I am a trainer as well, I can’t help being doubtful all the time. I wonder if Pokemon are happy like this…

そうだね ヌレディンだったか キミの ポケモンの 声を もっと きかせてもらおう! → Your name was Nuredin right? Let’s hear your Pokemon 's voice even more!

モンスターボールに 閉じ込められている かぎり•••••• ポケモンは 完全な 存在には なれない → As long as they are shut in Pokéballs they will never be able to reach their full potential.

ボクは ポケモンという トモダチの ため 世界を 変えねば ならない → In order to become friends with Pokemon, I need to change the world.

••••••おかしな ヤツ だけど 気にしないで いいよ トレーナーと ポケモンは お互い 助け合っている → What a strange guy…but don’t pay too much attention to it. Trainers and Pokemon help each other equally.

じゃあ ぼくは 先に行く 次の街•••••• サンヨウシティの ジムリーダーと 早く 戦いたんだ → Well then, I will go ahead. The next town…I can’t wait to fight “Sanyou” city’s gym leader.

きみも ジムリーダーと どんどん 戦いなよ トレーナーが 強くなるには 各地に いる ジムリーダーと 勝負するのが 一番だからね → You should also hurry up and fight against him. The best way for trainers to become strong is to fight the various gym leaders. That’s why this should be your priority.

Going To The Third Village (二番道路 // 42 screenshots)

ヌレディンは ライブキャスターを つなげた → Nuredin turned on the “live caster”.

ヌレディン! ママです そっちは どう?-> Nuredin! It’s your mom, how is it there?

ポケモンと 仲良くなって 旅の 楽しさを かみしめている ころかしら? → I wonder if you are having fun during your trip and getting along with your Pokemon.

ちょっと 用が あって 連絡したんだけど 一度 ライブキャスターを きるわね → I called you to tell you something but I will turn off the “live caster” for a moment.

ヌレディン やっと 追いついた•••••• もう ここまで きたのね → Nuredin I finally caught up with you…you already made it here.

「おそらく 今ごろは サンヨウシティに むかってます」って アララギ博士に 聞いてね → “He is probably heading towards Sanyou City right now” is what I heard from Professor Araragi.

で ママから また プレゼント! ヌレディン! これを 履いて いきなさい → So, mom is here with another present. Nuredin! Wear those shoes.

ヌレディンは ランニングシューズを もらった! → Nuredin received running shoes.

ランニングシューズを 履いていれば どこに行くのも あっ というま!-> If you wear them, you can go faster everywhere.

では 取り扱い説明書を 読むから 聞いてなさいね → Well then, listen to what I am reading from the user’s manual.

ランニングシューズは Bボタンを 押すことで 今までより 速く 走れるように なります! → By pressing the B button, the running shoes will allow you to run faster than usual shoes.

ランニングシューズを 履いて おもいっきり 走りまくろう!-> If you wear the running shoes you can run as much as you want without any problem.

ですって ••••••買ったまま しまっておいたのを かたづけを していて みつけたの ••••••たまには かたづけも するものね → That is what it says. I bought the shoes as they were…I finished tidying up your room and found them. It’s one of the things that happens when you clean up.

ヌレディン あなたは 一人じゃないの わかっているでしょ? → Nuredin, you aren’t alone. You are aware of that right?

いつも ポケモンと 一緒だし 友達も いる それに ママだって いつも あなたのことを 想っているから → You always have your Pokemon, your friends are there too. Also, your mom is always thinking about you.

それじゃあ 旅を 楽しんでね! → Well then, have fun with your journey!

トレーナーと トレーナーの 目が あうって ことは•••••• ポケモン勝負の 始まりさ! → When two trainers look at each other…a Pokemon battle starts!

アタシ ポケモン勝負が とっても 大好きなの! だって かわいい ポケモンが さらに かわいく がんばるんだもん!-> I love Pokemon battles a lot! I mean cute Pokemon become even cuter when they try their best!

ヨーテリー ヨーテリー ぼくの ヨーテリー! ゴー! → Yoteri(Pokemon), Yoteri. My Yoteri! Go!

おうい! ヌレディン! ねえねえ! ポケモン勝負 しようよ! → Hey! Nuredin! Come on, let’s do a Pokemon battle.

新しく 捕まえた ポケモンも ちょっと 強くなったし! じゃ はじめるよ! → Especially that I just caught new Pokemon as well and made them a bit stronger. So, let’s start!

ふわあ やっぱり 強いんだね! ヌレディン あたしも 負けないように ポケモンを 育てるね! じゃあ バイバーイ!! → Wow, you are still strong Nuredin! I will also train my Pokemon so that I won’t lose next time.

Third Village (サンヨウシティ・ポケモンジム) // 79 screenshots

ポケモンが 毒を 受けると 戦っている あいだ どんどん 体力が 減る → When a Pokemon gets poisoned, it’s physical power/hp decreases quickly while fighting.

ただし 体力が 減るのは 戦っているとき だけ ね•••••• → That being said, it’s hp decreases only while fighting.

やあ ヌレディン ジムリーダーを 探しに きたのかい? → Hey Nuredin, are you looking for the gym leader?

さっきまで ここで ポケモンの タイプについて 話していたけどね•••••• → He was here just now talking about Pokemon types.

すれ違ったんじゃ ないか? → Did you just miss each other?

ところでさ ヌレディン ぼくと 勝負してくれないか 勝負のとき どれだけ 道具が 重要か 試したいんだ → By the way Nuredin, won’t you fight me? Since our last fight, I’ve been wanting to try a tool and see how important it is.

さて 道具の 効果が どれほどが•••••• あるいは 道具なしで どれだけ 戦えるか 試すか →
So, let’s see how effective this tool is…or I can see how long I am able to fight without it.

もちろん 室内での 勝負 荒らすことなく 戦うよ → Of course, we will fight without breaking anything inside the class.

やはり 道具を 使いこなすのは 大事だね そうだ ヌレディン この きのみを あげるよ → As expected, it’s important to learn how to use this tool. That how it is Nuredin, I will give you this tree fruit.

ヌレディンは オレンのみを 手に入れた! ヌレディンは オレンのみを きのみポケットに しまった → Nuredin received an orange fruit. Nuredin stored the orange fruit in the tree fruits pocket.

ポケモンに きのみを 持たせておけば 戦って 体力が 減ったとき 勝手に 食べてくれる → If you give your Pokemon a berry in advance, it will make use of it once it’s hp decreases.

34|690x107,50%

もっとも きずぐすりの ように 人が つくった 道具は 持たせておいても 使えないけどね! じゃ がんばってよ → Furthermore, similarly to potions, people can’t use the used tools that were held by Pokemon. Well then, good luck.

••••••え? ぼくが この街の ジムリーダー ですけど きみは••••••? → Huh…? But I am this town’s gym leader. What about you…?

そうですか ジムに挑戦 それで きみ•••••• 最初に 選んだ ポケモンは なんですか? → I see, you are a new challenger. In that case, which Pokemon are you going to choose first?

ツタージャか•••••• なるほど ほのうタイプが 苦手なんですね きちんと 対策しておいたほうが いいと おもいますよ → Tsutaja(Pokemon)…I see. It’s weak against the fire type. I think it’s better if you come up with a good plan to deal with it.

それでは 中で 待っていますね → Well then, I am waiting for you inside.

どうも! 自分は ポケモンジムに 挑戦する トレーナーを ガイドする ガイドーと いいます → Hello! I guide challengers, my name is Gaido.

ジムに 挑戦 ありがとう ございます 記念に これを さしあげますよ → Thank for coming here. To celebrate that, take this.

ヌレディンは おいしいみずを 手に入れた! ヌレディンは おいしいみずを 回復ポケットを しまった → Nuredin got “delicious water”. Nuredin stored “delicious water” in the recovery pocket.

ようこそ いらっしゃいませ サンヨウジムへ! ここでは 勝負の 基本を 味わって いただきます → Welcome to Sanyou’s gym! In this place, you will get a taste of the basics of Pokemon battles.

サンヨウジム 自慢の トレーナー フルコース! 2人めは わたくしで ございます → Sanyou’s gym’s proud trainer, Furukousu! I am the second trainer here.

ようこそ こちら サンヨウシティ ポケモンジムです おれは ほのうタイプの ポケモンで 暴れる ポッド! → Welcome, this is Sanyou City’s gym. I fight with fire Pokemon, my name is Poddo.

みずタイプを 使いこなす コーンです 以後 お見知りおき を そして ぼくはですね くさタイプの ポケモンが 好きな デント 押します → I am good at using water Pokemon, my name is Kon. Besides that, I am pleased to meet you. // Finally, my turn. I am the grass Pokemon lover, Dento.

あのですね•••••• ぼくたちは ですね どうして 3人 いるかと いいますと•••••• → The thing is…I will tell you why we are 3 here…

もう! オレが 説明するッ! オレたち 3人はッ! 相手が 最初に 選んだ ポケモンの タイプに あわせて だれが 戦うか 決めるんだッ!-> Come on! I will be the one doing the explanations. We are 3 people. The person that will fight you will be decided based on which opponent matches your starter Pokemon.

そうなんだよね そして あなたが 最初に 選んだ パートナーは くさタイプ なんだよね → That is right. Also, the starter that you’ve chosen is a grass type Pokemon.

ということで ほのおタイプで 燃やしまくる オレ ポッドが 相手をするぜ! → That’s how it is, I will burn/fight you with fire Pokemon. Me, Poddo, I will be your opponent!

イヤッホー! 兄弟で 一番 強い オレさまと 遊ぼうぜ! → Let’s go! I am the strongest guy here. Let’s fight!

うわーッ! オマエ すげえ!! ポケモリーグの 決まりだ この ジムバッジを 受けっ取ってくれ → Damn! You are amazing!! Please accept this badge, it’ll help you with Pokemon League regulations.

WE FINALLY GOT IT!!!

LATEST UPDATE - THE CHALLENGE IS FINISHED!

I Finished The Game In Japanese

31 Likes

Challenge revoked?

1 Like

I just got 0 answer after an hour so I think no one is interested. I was thinking about continuing it on my own xD

1 Like

This is a forum, though, not a chatroom - the conversation isn’t expected to happen live. You post, you go away, you come back later and find replies. An hour of waiting is no time at all.

6 Likes

I just know this forum is active so I thought I would get at least an answer. My bad. You win. I flagged the post so hopefully it’ll be back soon.

2 Likes

You can undelete your own post.

2 Likes

Well … you posted the images with hiragana only, so not much to comment there on the Kanji department :man_shrugging:

In any case since you mentioned doing this in a emulator maybe you will find this tool for recognizing kanji via OCR helpful

good luck with the proyect… catch them all! … those kanji I mean…

6 Likes

Oh wow! I didn’t know I can do that, just found it now! Thank you :heart_eyes:

@Ncastaneda What is this? It seems like a very cool tool, I will check this out and tell you more about it. Indeed, I will add some Kanji soon, you are right :joy:

2 Likes

ふじぎなおくりもの is “Mystery Gift”, incidentally. They use exactly the same term in the English games.

1 Like

I really like this initiative. I’ll be reading you, so don’t give up, please!

3 Likes

Great! You are motivating me even more. It’s time to become a legend here :sunglasses:

@Belthazar Indeed, that’s how we have always seen it. The meaning wasn’t obvious but when you know Pokemon it makes sense. Thank you btw, you started this whole thing, I was going to do it on my own.

So I updated the first part and I added a new one. I will probably spend hours just in the first village :rofl:

3 Likes

Side note here: アララギ is the Japanese Yew - it’s a type of tree. All Pokemon professors are named after types of tree, though not usually the same tree in English and Japanese (case in point: Araragi’s English name is Juniper).

Feminine sentence-ending particle, similar in meaning to よ

縮める = to shorten; to reduce; to condense; to shrink​. So in other words “Pocket Monsters - which we call “Pokemon” for short”.

Another sentence-ending particle. Probably definition 5, thogh it could also be 4.

不思議な力を秘めている is a phrase that’s modifying ポケモン, so it might make more sense to word it like a subordinate clause (as it is). “Pokemon who hide a mysterious power”.

4 Likes

This idea sounds super fun, and I’m definitely going to follow your progress, @Noursaidana!

I believe I’ll start a similar journey of my own

1 Like

I think わ is just a particle used by women at the end of sentences to give an rising intonation.

I think ちぢめて means “for short”. That is, it’s used to explain briefly what those creatures are.

I’ve read that women sometimes use の at the end of sentences to give an explanatory tone.

But now I see that Belthazar has also explained it! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the info. The more I learn Japanese the more I realize that all these anime/games names that I used to find cool are just plain/common nouns in Japanese lol.

Yes, apparently it’s used by females, at least that’s what I found. @isaacajl just confirmed it.

Yeah I didn’t read the whole line because of the line break and was confused haha.

@Mecha_Ivan Thanks for the support! Definitely consider doing one in the future!

@isaacajl Yeah lol. Thanks for the answers nonetheless!

I just added a couple of images, I will go to sleep now, I will add new ones tomorrow :smiley:

2 Likes

暮らす ← (くらす) it means to live, but like… “I live alone” not like “I am alive”

Perhaps, “The pokemon who hold mysterious powers take on different forms and live in various places.”

The last の is probably one for expressing emotion

this の is probably used for explanation like からです

Just learned this myself as I was wondering about the いる at the end of the sentence: いたるところ is a word in itself (and not ところ being modified by いたる) and means “everywhere” :slight_smile:

Cool practice idea btw! I would personally be too lazy to read every sentence carefully and try to understand everything at some point just wanting to play xD But it’s fun to read your screenshots and learn/practice this way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

From now on, I will try to translate complete sentences so you might have some pictures together. Translating a part of a sentence doesn’t make any sense especially in Japanese lol.

@Ncastaneda I was going to say you are the best…until I found that it’s only available on windows cries internally

@Shirinai This is the thing that I hate with Japanese. When the Kanji is too small there are small parts that are removed which makes it unrecognizable especially to noobs like me.

I think you are right about the translation, I didn’t read the whole thing before translating…

@Sarina Ah thanks! I was trying to translating “itaru” and was so confused haha. I used to do this for a couple of hours then give up and start playing. I would just try to read as much as possible and translate some Kanji once in a while. It did improve my speed reading with Kana a lot but my grammar still sucks. Now I am trying to be more serious and I am sharing this to be more accountable. Don’t worry, as long as you help it’s fine, I will do the rest for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really like the idea of grouping pictures together so you have complete sentences! I think it will make things a lot easier. :smiley:

1 Like

There’s a guy on youtube who’s goes through Japanese games, and explains their grammar. Kind of not relevant but I thought you’d be interested in it https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8UqIZlupjIQ3vxcAOEoNug/playlists

4 Likes