Transitive, Intransitive Verbs, and Kaniwani

さげる さがる あげる あがる つく つき まじる まぜる etc…
I’m newly using Kaniwani, and not to mention the issue that you can’t use synonyms to answer even though some words are exactly the same in English (think temperature: おんど、きおん)
but my main issue here is transitive and intransitive verbs…I ALWAYS get them wrong!
the verbs in the first line…how do you know which one is “to raise”, and which is “to rise” for example?

Please help, this is really frustrating!

I thought you could link them together as synonyms? It’s been a while since I used it though.

2 Likes

hmm? seems interesting, I couldn’t find anything of the sort in the settings, but I’ll look within the vocabs on my next review session, thanks.

Yeah, if you go to the item page for a word, through the main menu, it has a section to add synonyms. I’m fairly sure they do work similarly to WK synonyms.

1 Like

I’ll check that…thanks a lot.

Hey!
For 下げる, 下がる, 上げる and 上がる, I associate the げ ones with “I can do to other things/people” and the が ones with “I can do only to myself”. I’m not sure if I’m being clear lol hope it can help you.

Not specific to KaniWani, but this helped me a little bit:

5 Likes

This helped me out quite a bit as well. Especially this part:

-u →-eru flips transitivity

Sometimes WK will teach you one version first and then the other. So this helps decide which version is “canonical” in your mind and which is the flipped.

1 Like

90 percent of the time, if there’s a transitivity pair, the verb with the え syllable in it is the transitive one.

The other 10 percent are exceptions that reverse the pattern, but you can remember them on a case-by-case basis. Exposure also helps, as with everything else.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, this helps a ton, and just opened up a treasure chest for me (Cure Dolly).
I spent the entire day on her vids and they help a great bunch with grammar stuff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.