Toxic kanji learners

There are a few hierarchies. The ALTs and Eikaiwa Teachers seem to be a miserable bunch though. :joy:

Same for a lot of us here. The language may attract navel-gazers, but that doesnā€™t mean all of us are navel-gazers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I admire Japanese greatly as a ā€œlego languageā€ that incorporates even some software engineering philosophy.

6 Likes

Iā€™d say Japanese is the hardest to read /write cause of the multiple reading of the kanji but speaking is fairly easy if you already are bilingual/ speak an Asian language. Chinese probably harder to speak and Korean is apparently the most easiest to learn of the 3.

3 Likes

Personally I dont interact with any other Japanese learning community outside of Wanikani because they seem to be very elitist in general and unwilling to help with any question that seems too dumb to them. You will find that in any group though.

19 Likes

The Wanikani community is great because you can ask literally anything and people half the replies will be answers to the question and the other half will be people saying they have had the same problem.

22 Likes

Iā€™m disappointed this isnā€™t a thread about people who chose to learn ęƒ exclusively.

31 Likes

Literally the answer to every JLPT kanji question

1 Like

There seems to be an unusually high population of programmers / software developers in this community. You can throw a rock and hit one on these boards.

7 Likes

:woman_shrugging: Iā€™ve never found a community that was entirely free of toxicity, but since Iā€™ve come to embrace the Block button as my friend itā€™s been a lot easier to deal with.

3 Likes

Oh, I just know how to make them all come out of the bushes.
clears throat

JAVASCRIPT

17 Likes

:frowning:

I find this post offensive.

16 Likes

ECMAScript 6 + TypeScript

7 Likes

WebAssembly

8 Likes

With that in mind please do not throw rocks on these boards.

5 Likes

Throw beans instead. Coffee and cocoa are prefered.

8 Likes

Donā€™t forget Babel

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to steal this and put it on my motivation board at home

ā€œDonā€™t compare yourself to others, but only to the person you were yesterdayā€. - Thofte '20

14 Likes

When I read the title, I thought that it would be about those who like to punish themselves by studying kanji but in a lil more durtverted way :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

You know isnā€™t that just anyone in life? They always want to one up someone else. Just do you and ignore it. Iā€™d probably shrug. Iā€™ve been learning Japanese on and off for years and now I can finally go to college and study Iā€™m getting serious because there is an actual chance I may get to go. Admittedly Iā€™m a bit put off by the main cities if there are these typesā€¦ they probably give foreigners a bad nameā€¦

Just donā€™t worry about it, youā€™ll find this sort of behavior in virtually every single field or activity. Some of them are doing it maliciously, to discourage newcomers (a nasty form of gatekeeping), some are just doing it to boost their ego and ease their insecurities, and others are doing it because they see others speaking in that way and they feel like if they express honestly how difficult it actually was / is for them theyā€™ll appear stupid and lose credibility or be ostracized. You will ALWAYS find these types of people that downplay how much effort and time they actually had to invest to do something, or people who donā€™t even have the knowledge / skill and downplay how much effort it would take to get it either because they just donā€™t know or to make themselves feel better. So you just need to not compare yourself with others. If you want a reasonable timeline of how long something will take or much effort it will require, try to find a neutral authority figureā€¦ like say, the creators of Wanikani who have created a system to help you learn kanji as quickly as possible.

3 Likes