Torii - SRS learning application for vocabulary

The adding synonym feature might be broken but I’m also pretty sure that the wk vocab meaning page specifies that 一日 should use いちにち to specifically refer to “one day” and ついたち to mean “first day” and that those readings are not interchangeable or synonymous…

1 Like

Maybe this is how the update will handle it, but is/will there be a way to study by JLPT level and exclude WaniKani vocab?

In other words, I want to be able to “Study all N5 vocab, except what I’ve learned on WK” or “Study all N4 vocab, except what I’ve learned on WK.”

Basically, I’d rather learn other vocab by JLPT order (including kana-only), rather than by WK’s order. That would make this the absolute perfect tool I’ve been looking for!

5 Likes

@Walter-it btw I forgot to mention that you can click on the thumbs up button (or hit Escape) to ignore your last answer. Just in case you’ve missed it :slight_smile:

@Welteam In 10k and JLPT Mode, the vocabulary is ordered by JLPT level. In WK Mode it’s ordered by WK’s level of the kanji.

@Adrian0121 Currently there’s no way to do that. I agree tho, memorizing too many similar words in a row can be quite a pain… I’ll figure something out to make them appear more randomly ^^

@lollipophuho @soltris yeah afaik both いちにち and ついたち can mean “first day (of the month)” but only いちにち can be “one day”. that’s what jisho suggests as well.

@therr That’s a great idea, why didn’t I think of that before? :smiley:

After considering your comments, I plan to tweak study modes quite a bit. What I have in mind:

• add a kana-only mode
  • add an option to include/exclude kana-only words from all study modes
  • add an option to include/exclude WK words from all study modes

Implementing these changes will take a while. I’ll release an update in 1-2 weeks most likely.
Let me know if you have more ideas :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This looks pretty amazing, thanks for creating it and making it public.

It has already been mentioned, but I think getting the synonyms to work correctly would be an amazing feature for those of us that add our own language vocabulary to the list :smiley:

I love that it feel just like wanikani.

Again, thanks!

1 Like

A minor update is now live!

Mac users: You will have to download the update manually. Currently the auto updater only works for windows and linux systems, sorry ^^

Android users: It could take some more hours until the update becomes visible on Google Play…

New features

• Option to “ignore” words you already know in depth to permanently keep them from appearing in the reviews
  • Reset your progress (Settings → General Settings)
  • Improved the Kana converter (now つ can be typed as ‘tu’, ち as ‘ti’ and many more)

Bugfixes

• Synonyms that contain whitespaces were falsely taken as wrong answer
  • entering the meaning of 何 - なん and a few other words won’t crash the application anymore
  • certain characters in custom notes caused the application to crash
  • notes are now visible when reviewing
  • when adding notes while reviewing, the space-key doesn’t collapse the info pane anymore
  • macOS: the heavy flickering of the app at startup is gone
  • some more minor fixes
17 Likes

I’m so glad to be back to typing tu, ti, and si, it was really throwing off my reviewing groove–thank youuu

But now I’m having a new problem, and I can’t tell if I’m just an idiot or if I’m having an actual issue. After I updated and opened the program, the screen told me I had 20 reviews (expected) and that I was done with lessons for today (unexpected). I hadn’t even touched the program today, let alone done any lessons since yesterday. Am I glitching out, or is the lesson thing done on a literal 24 hour basis, so I can’t do any lessons until it’s been 24 hours since my last lesson session?

I hope that made sense, I’m hopeless at explaining myself

1 Like

Good question! Currently, the daily study limit resets at midnight CEST (UTC+2) for everyone.
I guess that can be a little inconvenient for some people and that it would be a good idea to let every user decide for themselves at which time exactly they want their daily study limit reset… That is something I will consider for the next update.

2 Likes

Hi Rakantor,

First of all, thanks for the app - this seems like exactly what I would love to have.

Any reason the app is not available on the Japanese Google Play store? Got excited after looking at the Windows version, but that doesn’t work on my office PC :frowning: Maybe if not feasible, would it be possible to just link the APK as well somewhere?

Also if I may just second twktg’s suggestion regarding synonyms. That is one of those things that drive me insane which are highly specific to language learning so general SRS tools are incredibly bad at handling that.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Would it be possible to add audio to reviews? Maybe a setting for both reading and meaning? The reinforcement is helpful for memorization, I find.

Again, still loving the app!

1 Like

That sounds like a lot of work that I would love to volunteer for. I’m just a low-level student with a full time job tho :smiley:
That needs many hours of laborious vocal work…

Anyway, I’m glad I didn’t miss this, this is going to help me out immensely. Putting aside the concept of working for you, I’d love to pay you @Rakantor

1 Like

Wow, I absolutely love the design of the application! Looks nice and clean. :smiley:
I downloaded the application for Android and Windows. Registration as well as login is fast and works without problems.
There are three little things you could do to improve Toori:

1. it should be possible (in the settings) to change the study deck. There only seems to be possibility to reset everything while losing the whole process. In my opinion it would be better not to wipe the process, so changing to a different deck means to continue studying where you left off. Take any jlpt n level deck as example, those words are also included in the 10k deck. So if one were to study the 10k deck for some time but then wants to switch to jlpt n3, the words encountered in the 10k deck should not be displayed as entirely new items.

2. While typing hiragana, it’s not directly displayed in the typing field. Well, I can get used to that but I’d suggest that it would be a smoother review experience if it’d be possible to just type and already see the hiragana being displayed in the field. :slight_smile:

3. Add a small plus sign to the review interface that allows you to add the word in question to a custom list to review them as many times as you want.

That’s all I had to say. Usually I don’t write reviews (it at all) but this application has a lot of potential in my opinion and it’s probably gonna be a popular learning tool in the future! Thank you so much for putting so much dedication in this project and sharing it with us. :smile:

1 Like

Well, I’ve only done 20 lessons, but all of them have had audio. So I’m assuming there’s audio for everything, I’m talking about having it play in reviews as well as lessons.

But I agree, I’d pay for this @Rakantor! If you set up a donation page I’ll give what I can.

1 Like

@develin What’s the reason it doesn’t work on your office PC?
I understand your frustration regarding synonyms. It’s just a ton of work to do. Someone (preferably a native/fluent Japanese person) would have to manually go through all the words in the database one by one, figure out all the alternative readings and add them to each word… That exceeds the limits of a single person ^^

@Adrian0121 Audio can be played anytime by clicking on the Kanji or Japanese sentence (there’s no audio for context sentences in the “Examples”-tab). Kana can also be hidden/shown by clicking on it. I didn’t mention these things anywhere yet, so I guess a lot of people don’t know about it haha ^^ I’ll post a short list with tips & tricks the other day.
An option to auto-play audio when doing reviews will be added with the next update.

@LCrosszeria Thanks for your feedback!

1. That’s planned for the next update :slight_smile:
  2. Torii is actually not designed for typing in Kana directly (eg by using a Japanese IME as input method). I’m not sure if there’s an easy way to achieve what you’re asking for ^^
  3. A “custom review mode” to review certain items (leeches) at any time and as many times as you want is also planned for a future update :slight_smile:

I should probably make my to do list public, so people can check what’s planned for future updates :stuck_out_tongue: gonna do that as soon as I find the time for it.

3 Likes

@Rakantor I never had a single review wrong, yet my progress says otherwise.

Haven’t had the chance to get one wrong or use the ignore answer (thumbs up button). The vocab I’ve encountered so far is just quite easy. One of these days, I guess. Just wanted to let you know.

@mztik hmm that’s odd. According to the db you reviewed 八つ 5x but answered it correctly only 4x (which appears to be an error since that’s your only word with 5 reviews, all the others are at 4). I wonder how this could happen… Gotta have a look.
Anyway, I corrected that for you ^^

Anyone else having the same issue?

In my last session, I had an app error after submitting my answer for an item. I wonder if it was that one and it was repeated later on. I should’ve taken a screenshot. If it ever happens again, I’ll be sure to take a screenshot of it.

1 Like

Hello! I got another bug. I tried going into a study session but received this error.

java.lang.Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.torii.srs.RestClient$9$3.run(RestClient.java:698)
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl3.Lwjgl3Application.loop(Lwjgl3Application.java:153)
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl3.Lwjgl3Application.(Lwjgl3Application.java:111)
at com.torii.srs.desktop.DesktopLauncher.main(DesktopLauncher.java:43)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.torii.srs.RestClient$9.handleHttpResponse(RestClient.java:668)
at com.badlogic.gdx.net.NetJavaImpl$1.call(NetJavaImpl.java:204)
at com.badlogic.gdx.net.NetJavaImpl$1.call(NetJavaImpl.java:169)
at com.badlogic.gdx.utils.async.AsyncExecutor$2.call(AsyncExecutor.java:58)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Details:
I had just finished a study session when it got closed out by this error.
I recently changed my daily limit to 25 words
I closed Torii and went back in to try to fix the problem to no avail.

1 Like

Hey! Please try again and let me know if the error is gone now.

1 Like

Error is gone :slight_smile: Thank you!

1 Like

@Rakantor
Error on my office PC is regarding OpenGL - Java version is limited to 1.8 right now and wouldn’t be surprised either if the drivers are an issue or if the permissions have been too restrictive.

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007fec63a16ec, pid=12136, tid=0x0000000000003104
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_141-b15) (build 1.8.0_141-b15)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.141-b15 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [lwjgl_opengl.dll+0x116ec]