Torii - SRS learning application for vocabulary

That actually surprised me, but I’m pretty glad about this. Improving active vocabulary is always so much harder, having the two be side-by-side yet separate really feels like the best way to do it.

1 Like

I can open the application from one computer and not the other. I am getting the error: "The application “Torii SRS v1.4.5” can’t be opened. I made sure java was installed but it’s still now working.

The problem was I didn’t have the latest version installed.

I have no idea how I managed to study on Torii 19 hours last week and go to college, but developers, thank you so much for making such a nice program free! Much appreciation. @Rakantor

4 Likes

Just purchased lifetime. Looks like a really cool app that beats anki in it’s simplicity. Thanks to the dev for all the hard work.

Thanks for your support!

If you want to start a web version, I would be happy to help out.

1 Like

I’d like to also show my support for a web version. I’d definitely be able to lend a hand.

1 Like

Stupid question, but if I add custom vocab, how do I add them to the review queue? I would like to have SRS for them.

they should get added to the review queue automatically

edit: though they might not appear there instantly

1 Like

I just tried out Torii for the first time, and I’m puzzled by the fact that the study quiz involves EN → JP exercises. Is there any way to disable this? I went through all the settings, but I couldn’t find anything related to it.

You can manually select whether you want EN->JP, JP->EN, or both, right below the review button.

Underneath “Next Review N/A” on the front page, it says “JP → EN”, but I’m still getting EN → JP challenges.

thanks, oh my savior.

1 Like

I really like using Torii and I love the design. It just seems really buggy on my Mac. I don’t know if that’s my system or the application itself.

However, whenever I use it I get almost constant crashes to desktop and error messages.

These error messages range from syncing issues to connection issues.

I’m not too mad because it’s a free application, but it doesn’t work very reliably on my system.

This is probably a dumb question, but does Torii have and option to drill the readings of the words? I just started using it but it only asks me the English meaning of the words.

Edit: ignore this question, after a few days it started that type of drills strayed showing up lol

Hi, does Torii have a feature where it doesn’t accept a misspelled answer? While it’s really helpful in other reviews, I often type an answer close to the spelling of the correct answer, but isn’t entirely correct, if you know what I mean.

1 Like

I plan to use Torii in addition to Wanikani. Wanikani would have the priority. I’m considering doing JLPT levels in tori or Wanikani mode (which, as I understand, is 10 K without Wanikani words). Which one should I choose?

Doing JLPT levels would have the benefit of having fewer words (for example N5 has only 130 words when I exclude Wanikani words). This would give me a sense of accomplishment. Also, I don’t know if I ever do the JLPT test, but doing JLPT levels in Torii would be easy way to track my progress.

Is there any benefit of doing Wanikani mode instead of JLPT levels? I got the impression that Wanikani mode in Torii teaches words using the same kanjis that I have learned in Wanikani. Does this make learning/remembering words easier? If so, then I can start doing Wanikani mode instead of JLPT level.s

1 Like

I’ve also used Torii in addition to WK, in WK and kana-only mode. Though frankly the workload on WK became so large that i didn’t get far in this additional SRS. Now, having reached level 60, i’d like to continue, though personally i’d prefer to have my cards in Anki now.
Just keep in mind that the workload on WK will go up very quickly.

The problem of JLPT mode is that it will repeat vocab that you have learned or will learn through WK. And if you haven’t learned it on WK yet, you won’t have the mnemonics or Kanji for it, so learning it through Torii may be inefficient.
Maybe you can do JLPT5 which is about 610 words, then switch to WK or kana-only mode.
I did kana-only mode for a while, because that’s what WK vocab is lacking the most, kana-only words. (WK teaches some words that are usually written kana-only but have a Kanji form, but that’s only few).

I’d personally recommend kana-only or WK mode.
You can also switch study modes from time to time, then click on “Complete” to still get reviews from all the lessons from all study modes you did already.

2 Likes

Thanks. Actually, Torii has an option to exclude WK words from JLPT levels, and I would do so if I choose to do JLPT levels. For example, JLPT5 is only 130 words when you exclude WK vocab.

But doing WK mode would have the advantage to learn faster because I have seen kanjis in WK?