Tool for recognizing/comprehending vocab from kana/pronunciation?

Hello everyone! I’m wondering if there is an app out there to test our comprehension of a vocab from its kana spelling, or if better, from its pronunciation. I see we’ve already got WaniKani to test vocab comprehension from kanji, KaniWani for recalling the vocab. And now if there is an app that test comprehension from kana or pronunciation, it will be very effective and useful when you listen to other people speaking or do listening comprehension test, since you can catch the keyword there. In an app like this,  for words that sound the same, you can pick one meaning to answer, and then check all the vocab that sounds that way - so you can learn the group of words that have the same pronunciation but different meaning! Even better if it uses Wanikani user’s API so you only test what you’ve learnt! In short, this kind of app will help you recognize words while listening and learn the words that sound the same! Kana vocab can also be learnt through this app, too!

For example, say you’ve learnt through WK the sound かえる has two meaning: 変える (to change) and 帰る (to return). When you are asked what かえる means in the app, you can either enter “to change”, or “to return”, and then click to check all the other words that sounds this way. So the full list should be: 変える, 帰る, 孵る (to hatch out), , かえる (frog). This way, you can expect these vocab when hearing かえる next time, and can also learn new words, like the word 孵る, which is less common than other word in the group. You can also learn kana vocab, like かえる (frog), using this app

Another example for the need of this app is: while  you are doing listening comprehension, you hear the keyword ふかい. Now, can you respond immediately (in milliseconds) that it means deep (深い), or you have to take time to think about it for a while (like me)? That’s why I think there should be an app focusing on training us to comprehend the meaning from the kana. It will be crucial for listening skill.

So do you know any apps that can do this? If there hasn’t been anything like this yet, can you make an app for this purpose? Thank you! Let me know what you think below!

/t/Is-WaniKani-not-hard-enough-for-you-listening-comprehension/1148/1

Also, not what you asked for, but to recall from the English:
/t/Another-Wanikani-Recall-App-Chrome-App-For-Writing/3377/1
/t/Vocab-recall-app/3365/1

EskimoJo said... /t/Is-WaniKani-not-hard-enough-for-you-listening-comprehension/1148/1

Also, not what you asked for, but to recall from the English:
/t/Another-Wanikani-Recall-App-Chrome-App-For-Writing/3377/1
/t/Vocab-recall-app/3365/1
 Awesome! Thank you very much! I have to download Chrome and try this out!

Houhou

Beghaus said... Houhou
 Yes, I am actually using it for this purpose although customizing the vocab is not a very pleasant task

Not sure it this is what you asked for, but If you want to recall vocab via listening. You could always try delvinlanguage.com
It has you listen to a video, and spell out with kana one word in the sentence you just heard. Then translate it.
I also try to translate the whole sentence in my head for some extra challenge. I can’t recommend this more.

kwecky said... Not sure it this is what you asked for, but If you want to recall vocab via listening. You could always try delvinlanguage.com
It has you listen to a video, and spell out with kana one word in the sentence you just heard. Then translate it.
I also try to translate the whole sentence in my head for some extra challenge. I can't recommend this more.
 Ohh I love that the words have been split into groups. Definitely seems more useable now. thanks for reminding me

I have recently found http://delvinlanguage.com and loving it… Good find…

Geez, delvinlanguage.com is sure a very awesome website! Thank you for all of your recommendation, I’ve found good tools today!

@ivanpellegrin: Hmm, thanks for reminding me of the keyboard input! It’s like looking up a dictionary and you’ve got the list of words that match the reading, not only vocab but also conjugations as well! It’s a really handy tool and it works the same way as it does on Mac.