Tokyo Olympics 2021: WaniKani Edition (the real date, not the 2020 gun-jumpers)

Due to personal circumstances, I had/have (more or less) stopped using WK for the past two months. Haven’t been around on the forum much either.

We’ll be back in full force in May though. Gotta work to see results, だろう。 :mechanical_arm:

4 Likes

Hope nothing too serious and that its getting better. Looking forward to having you back mate. Take care.

I’ve been kind of absent from the forums lately, thanks for fixing the board for me!

2 Likes

Fair Enough. As long as youre still movin and groovin. I am only a couple of weeks out. I might slow down at the end because I have more lessons than I should. Like… a lot more than I should.

Keep at it mate. Keep at it.

1 Like

Thanks. :vulcan_salute: Some mental health issues and more recently the death of a beloved family member, so WK is 100% in vacation mode right now. But as said, we’re working on it. Good luck with those ‘final few’ lessons!

1 Like

Im really sorry to hear about that. Take care of yourself. Your mental health and happiness is way more important. Take it easy on the Golden week.

1 Like

I finally made it to level 28 :grin: Took me a bit longer than normal again, mostly because of a backlog of level 27 vocab at the start of the level. Oh well, time to start working towards level 29 :grin:

4 Likes

Level 45 now. It’s hard to actually go fast on the fast levels :sweat_smile: only one mistake and you’re out!

4 Likes

Soooo, after a mere 44 days I’ve finally leveled up again. :point_up:

6 Likes

Last level before 60. The kanji from levels 1-35 are mostly solidly in my head. 36-45 pretty okay. Ill probably be here awhile after even though im “done” to get the majority of these slammed in my head. Ill do a proper post on Friday. ON FRIDAY. Dear lord.

7 Likes

come again? when did this happen?

i missed my last update. been doing 14 days per level after resetting cos i’d rather not crash or burn out.

level 37 whoop whoop!

one (well 2 ) more for team 水
@whinette

4 Likes

Pretty much my brain is also saying the same thing. Congrats on the upgrade glad to see you still here. You helped push me to be faster, I appreciate this.

EDITED: Ill add that ill probably be here awhile. My brain recently is starting to forget what the Kanji mean in English for older Kanji. Im remembering the readings. Remembering the vocab. My brain is just like… what do you mean in English? So, im getting older stuff wrong from that from time to time.

Theres also a few where my brain is defaulting back to the meaning I knew for them when I was younger. For example, 断 I was taught it meant JUDGMENT when I was in school. And it does. But, in the wanikani system it means Severence which IS also one of its meanings… So, i just unburnt it again to relearn it as Severence.

3 Likes

The thing thats killing me on fast levels is allll the voccabbbbbb. Lots of apprentice items slowly turnin into guru items lol. To be honest the last 5 level ive gotten lazy. I let the reviews pile up to like 500 than just knock them out in 3 hours and go “Welp, lets not let that happen again” than proceed to let that happen again.

2 Likes

whooooooooo!!! So exciting :smiley:

1 Like

I’m gonna sneak in before @hasturman’s big finale tomorrow and announce a level.

2 Likes

But, heres the kicker. I live in Japan, so, I already live in tomorrow. Muhahahaha

3 Likes

That, this is sneaky. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Whoops, I haven’t updated in a while. 3 levels for 火!!!

2 Likes

And just like that. I’m level 60 (Still got to finish the items on this level!)

I can say for sure that I am not a super fast reader. But, I can also say that I am a much faster reader than I was. I can read far far more than I could before I started and I have a bigger vocabulary than I did when I started.

I have seen noticeable improvement. THe kanji that I have burnt (for the most part) I CAN read very fast. I think once I actually burn the majority of the Kanji here I will be a damn fine reader.

I had N2 when I started this becasue I got it back in 2009 before they changed the tests. But, I feel im a better reader and writer than I was back than (I passed the Kanji/Reading section by the skin of my teeth) and now feel like I would do better on the test.

I have a general plan of what to do from now. But, first, I want to properly finish all my lessons and kanji lessons that are still left before moving on to my new plan. One the time is right Ill put here what im planning to do.

Its been a pleasure. I sometimes still feel like im not getting any better like I stated a few months back. But, I feel like the more I learn the more Ill feel like im not very good. I think even if I speak like a native someday ill probably feel that way. I think its just me.

But, I can read again. And you dont know how good that feels. YOu dont realize how much it sucks to be illiterate until youre not anymore. I missed reading. I missed reading soo much. So, wanikani has given me back a gift I didnt even realize I missed. Lets hope this year is just as fruitful as last year.

EDIT: Real quick wanted to thank @Saida @Shoshinsha-Shinobi @Politeod For being great teammates and being cool when I had a nervous breakdown for no real reason. (Sometimes I have bad experiences in my everyday life where my Japaense freezes and/or someones racist to me and it busts my confidence for a while).

Also want to thank @whinette @saibaneko @uzumaki @yukinet @ashkey @cgolner for always being right on my tail. That was a helluva a lot of motivaiton. Specially Mweibel in the last 4 weeks or so. Seeing you RIGHT THERE kept me up to date on my reviews haha.

Finally @UInt2048 for making this thread that was honestly the most motivating of them all. Im on skytree and luminaries but it was this thread that kept me more consistent (- the 27 day stoppage on level 45)

If I missed someone who feels they should be thanked youre probably right and sorry I missed you.

Ill be here for a lot longer. I figure at least until the end of the olympians thread because I got a lot of burnin to do before im done.

Ended up being number 13 done on Luminaries 9 on skytree and 3rd here. Woot earth!

16 Likes

Well done :partying_face: I can understand the feeling, I’m not in japan but encounter japanese in the wild somehow here. The first time I was able to read simple thing (opening schedule of a shop), that was a real joy.
I wasn’t much present in this thread but I’m glad that my updates helped! :wink:

3 Likes