Today's outlandish claim

Really? I’ve heard good things about italki, but this claim is straight ridiculous.

15 Likes

They get away with this stuff by just claiming that “having daily conversations is some level of fluency.” Presumably.

12 Likes

I’m trying to figure out what justifies claiming this in the ad (along with the loads of polyglot hacks and language apps that also claim something similar), and I can’t really identify anything other than to attract more users. The long-term commitment of language-learning puts off so many people, so why wouldn’t a “get fluent in Japanese in 30 days” or “learn conversational Spanish in two weeks” resonate with customers? Most of us like instant results. The people who believe that, starting from the very basics, taking a month of Italki lessons will get them fluent, are in for a harsh reality check. I’m surprised a program as legit as Italki is touting this kind of statement, but business is business.

There might be some silver lining to this kind of advertising. Maybe after someone is hooked in, they realize that sure, a month of loose study is gonna get them nowhere, but they’ve gotten into it and they’re starting to enjoy it, so maybe they’ll make the long-term commitment even after falling for the fluent-in-no-time trick.

6 Likes

And unfortunately the way you drive ‘engagement’ on these social media platforms is by using click-baity and borderline truthful titles. Otherwise what you post mostly gets buried by the algorithms.

6 Likes

It’s par for the course when most of your revenue comes from new users.

4 Likes

If that’s the bar for fluency, I’ve been fluent for over a decade.

It’s no different than coding bootcamps make you a software engineer in 3 months.

4 Likes

“Real Japanese will be telling you 日本語上手 in just one month!”

8 Likes

“Speak Japanese fluently in a month*”

* The earliest available month to be fluent in is August, 2038.

13 Likes

(Maybe the meaning of “fluent” is actually drifting…?)

2 Likes

Ahaha. Ahhhhahahahaha cries quietly

1 Like

1 Like

Are you trying to tell me that I am not a software engineer :disappointed_relieved: . (Joking). I haven’t even done a 3-month course.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.