Tobira study group

Thats the reason why I’m still on Chapter 2. I just got Animal Crossing and I can’t stop :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I saw this thread last week and was interested but since I was going to cram for N3 I wanted to focus on that instead. Now that the test is canceled I think I will join this Tobira study group. I will have to catch up, but hope to join soon.

4 Likes

Just jump right in!

1 Like

Well’ll start chapter 4 tomorrow! The thread is here.

1 Like

I just started this a few weeks ago and am now on chapter 2, will try my best to catch up! Happy I’ve found this group since trying to self study is difficult.

1 Like

Perfect! Yes, Self study is difficult. It’d easier to work together. Just use the earlier chapter threads if you want!

1 Like

This week, I’ll start working on chapter 3 with my iTalki tutor and chapter 4 with this study group. I may post questions in both the chapter 3 thread and the chapter 4 thread. Please remember that even if you’re behind the group, you can always post in that chapter’s thread to get help or ask questions!

1 Like

So i just started using Tobira and I am so confused on how to use the book. Can someone give me tips on how to approach the book.

1 Like

Read the text, read the dialogues, do the exercises, read the grammar points, translate some of the text, ask questions in the threads here… The more you work with the book, the more you learn!

3 Likes

If you’ve already used another textbook you can use this one in a similar way! Otherwise what Marifly said :slight_smile:

Each chapter starts with some light pre-reading to introduce the content of the main reading. There are also vocab lists, (which I just use like a dictionary when needed), exercises and conversation practice (both of which I have been skipping… :sweat_smile:)

If it helps, you can break up the chapter into smaller daily sessions to fit it all in over the week. Marifly also puts links to the Tobira website, where you can find extra resources (audio files, videos and worksheets) – I use these on the second week, along with the Tobira path on Bunpro.

3 Likes

I posted the thread for chapter 5 yesterday here. As always, please feel free to post in the threads for previous chapters too if you want. I hope that this set of threads can be a resource both for the study group we have going on now and for those who want to study with Tobira in the future. The threads stay open for a long time!

If you’re behind (like me!), don’t worry. We’ll spend 2 weeks on chapter 5 now and then take 2 weeks break before we start working on chapter 6. You have lots of time to catch up!

3 Likes

Yessss the break. I’m also behind, couldn’t find much time for とびら. Good thing you put it in the schedule! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi folks!
I finally decided to start using Tobira, which really looks like a nice resource to reach N3 in grammar. I’ll be starting in the coming weeks, don’t know if I’ll be able to catch up with the group but I’ll make use of the existing threads!

3 Likes

Welcome!

Perfect! That’s what they are there for!

2 Likes

@anon1067447, I saw in another thread that you’re working on Tobira with a private tutor. Please feel free to jump in here too if you want! I’m also working on chapter 3 with a private tutor and chapter 5 with this study group.

2 Likes

No new thread today. As planned, we’ll have two weeks for break and catch up June 29 to July 12.

Please post in the threads for the first 5 chapters if you have some comments, if you want to try to translate something, if you do the grammar exercises, anything!

2 Likes

The break is over, time to pull out Tobira again! The chapter 6 thread is up. Tobira study group - chapter 6

4 Likes

I’m kind of glad, because I wasted the two-week break not catching up on my Tobira-Bunpro path :laughing: At least I get something done when we’re on a schedule!

3 Likes

You sound like me! :grin: I sort of didn’t do anything on my Tobira-bunpro path for a week… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My exams are finally over, and I’m waiting for the results now, so I might start Tobira again. I’ll be on chapter 8, but I’ll probably be taking my time since I’ll want to keep watching my anime series. Guess this means I’m finally (sort of) joining you all in this group.

3 Likes