Tobira study group

Thank you both! @Marifly, sending you one now!

Thank you! I got your mail and I created a group.

This subforum (Japanese Resources) is open from the internet without logging in, so if I share the link to the group here then anyone can use it. I’ll made a new thread under Campfire and shared the group link there. Only WK users see threads under Campfire.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/tobira-study-grouo-whatsapp-link/51628

1 Like

Thank you so much! I got in!
:innocent:

1 Like

Didn’t know there was a new Tobira study group. Is it too late to get involved? I’ve had a copy that has been sititng on my shelf for quite some time now.

3 Likes

Never too late, just jump in!

4 Likes

I’m so sorry I’ve not been keeping up and therefore haven’t been able to join in. Life always finds a way to get in the way :sob:

1 Like

Ho everyone! Just wanted to say sorry I haven’t posted anything, May and June were crazy hectic for me, but I’m slowly working my way thru chapter 3 currently… the kanji and grammar book exercises take me quite some time, but I will get there. Is everyone else still following along? I think we should be entering chapter 5 around this time, right?

3 Likes

I’m way behind, only now I’m finishing the exercises of chapter 2… :frowning:

2 Likes

I thought everyone might have moved from wanikani to Whatsapp (cause it’s been so quiet here, since that last poll) :sweat_smile: I’ve been quietly doing the work on my own, but lacking in doing the Grammer book. I can happily jump to chapter 5 for this week if you guys are gonna do it :musical_note:

1 Like

I am already at chapter 19 of the second genki book. I will catch up with you all soon.

2 Likes

I got busy and… completely forgot about this… T_T How’s everyone doing?

1 Like

I haven’t been doing it either, so sorry about that! I think what we mainly lacked was a defined and clear schedule. I’m talking about myself, but I think it might have been better for me if everyone had a common daily objective to work on. So for example, first day: introduction; second day: reading of the main text; and so on. I think having too broad of an objective has made everyone just work by themselves without knowing where the rest are exactly so in the end there hasn’t really been much discussion and encouragement of daily interaction. I’m participating in the Summer 2021 Reading Challenge and I can’t believe how crucial the daily posting and interactions have been and are; just having daily activity there is enough to push me to read everyday and post, with the encouragement of everyone else doing the same.

I will definitely resume Tobira where I’m at (Lesson 5) at some point, though maybe at a slightly faster pace. But I wouldn’t mind at all to still participate in the study group to review everything.

But at the same time I don’t want to be disrespectful to those who have indeed stuck with it and kept studying, so I will wait until the next round :wink: . Unless there’s no one that kept studying, in which case there’s no shame in starting over.

1 Like

I’m thinking about picking up tobira very soon and am a person who also likes this kind of structure so would be up for joining in if this happened!

1 Like

Maybe discussion has moved to the WhatsApp group? I believe one was created a while ago. I’m not in the group, however, so I have no way of knowing how much it’s being used.

I hope everyone who’s expressed interest will be able to join in for the next cycle (or perhaps jump in now if you’re at the same point as everyone else, though I don’t know what that is).

2 Likes

That might have been another factor as well. I know it has for me, as I don’t feel comfortable sharing phone numbers. I’m not trying to complain at all, though! I think it’s awesome this is having another cycle since last year and so many people showed an interest :slight_smile: I hope nobody is taking my posts as a complaint. I’m just wondering if others are in the same situation I find myself in.

3 Likes

This was exactly it for me too :sweat_smile:

Even just a handful of us on the forum should be fine to continue, right? I’ll try and make sure to work and post more here from now on! … Just gotta check the schedule again haha

3 Likes

Hi all, I’ve just started studying Tobira (on my own) and I wondered what people’s thoughts were on the Grammar Power book? I don’t have it yet, and it seems quite expensive, but I’m concerned about the lack of practice, even taking into account the worksheets available online. It’s a shock after Genki!

So, if you don’t have it, how have you found retaining and using the grammar points? If you do have it, has it been helpful?

2 Likes

Today I finished the second Genki book and started the Tobira book. I don’t expect to ever catch up with you all but I will work hard every day.

2 Likes

I have the exact same impression. It’s a bit of a shame the core book doesn’t have more exercises, but I’m trying to go through all the question sections and exercises and answer using the newly learned grammar structures. I’m also taking a ton of notes. To some extent it’s working for me :slight_smile: .

I might be able to do 1 chapter per 2 weeks, but since I’m still on chapter 2, I don’t think I’ll be able to catch up, obviously.

On the other hand, at this point it’s probably a good idea to do 50:50 with some regular reading materials.

3 Likes

Personally, I find that exposure to lots of examples sentences is far more helpful, and for that matter, when I use Tobira, since I’ve already encountered most of the grammar in anime, my main focus is to read the example sentences after skimming the explanations to see if I need to adjust my understanding. My objective is to summarise and retain the gist of what each structure does as opposed to memorising huge chunks of information and long explanations.

3 Likes