Tips for Running a WaniKani Book Club

@Mods

We’ve finally gotten this guide into a state that we’re happy with. Would you mind re-pinning it in the Book Clubs category? It’s been worked on and voted on by many leaders in the book club community.

8 Likes

Sure thing! Should be all set :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

One of the polls had an extra bit written into it that caused problems when copying and pasting the template (gave an error as if multiple polls had the same name), so I went ahead and removed the portion that was causing problems.

3 Likes

Thanks - it was in the second poll - I suspect you’ve found it already!

3 Likes

I have a random question - when posting the weekly threads, I’m not sure how to format it. Everyone else seems to have a mini copy of the post. Is it just a copy and paste or is there a particular trick to it?

2 Likes

Generally, it’s just a copy and paste and update specific information (which week/chapter you are on, end page, links to previous and following week threads, etc.)

Depending on the complexity of the manga/size of the cast, it can be helpful to have a “Characters introduced/showing up this week” section, but that’s totally up to you and not strictly necessary.

If a specific chapter has any trigger/content warnings, that is good to post as well.

2 Likes

Sorry just trying to understand your question a little better–what do you mean by a mini copy of the post? Do you mean a mini copy of the template in this guide?

If you are copying and pasting (either a template or your own personal weekly threads), be sure to click the “edit” button and copy the plain text itself rather than directly copying the post, otherwise formatting probably won’t be properly preserved.

(Sorry if you already know this, feel free to elaborate if MrGeneric or I haven’t properly answered your question yet).

2 Likes

Do you mean when people link to it to say a new thread have been posted? Do you mean like this:

The way to do that is to put the link on its own line.

3 Likes

Yes that’s what I meant! I shouldn’t post when tired. I meant when linking to the weekly post from the main post.

3 Likes

This yellow section is under the Posting advice section, but it probably shouldn’t be

FYI, there’s a [/details] missing, or rather, you can’t have two details nested

1 Like

In this case I did mean for page discrepancies to be a potential third bullet point under “posting advice”, and it’s highlighted since it won’t be relevant to all clubs. It would be nice to have an actual third bullet symbol there but I couldn’t get that formatting to work.

2 Likes

It would be nice if audiobook or read-aloud links are included in Book Club templates.

1 Like