Time spent on level

Greetings fellow students, お元気ですか。

I’m trying to level up semi-efficiently, as I can’t be doing reviews every other day, but I have pretty much all day to do them, so I thought; is it smart to do new lessons at lik 9am, then 4hrs later at 1pm and then at like 9/10 pm in the evening?

3 Likes

Yes

5 Likes

That’s pretty much what I do, except an hour or two earlier. I do about twenty lessons a day, and frontload radicals, so I level up every seven or eight days.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve been just doing them at random, not caring about time and also doing 8 days a lv, but I kinda wanna up the pace a little, if it’s possible or at least have some kind of rhythm in what I’m doing. So I do all lessons of a new lv in the morning, then head on following the SRS. I’ll postpone a great bunch of lessons to the morning so I can do it more efficiently as well? I guess that’s true haha

1 Like

This guide advocates something like what you consider.

5 Likes

I’ve also written a similar guide about this.

I would personally start a little bit earlier in the day, because you have to in order to get 7 day level ups.

On Saturday at 7am, I start the level:
Saturday 7am… Learn all new Radicals/Kanji
Saturday 11am… Review 1
Saturday 7pm… Review 2
Sunday 7pm… Review 3
Tuesday 7pm… Guru

At this time the last kanji is release and I learn them immediately.
Tuesday 7pm… Learn Kanji
Tuesday 11pm… Review 1
Wednesday 7am… Review 2
Thursday 7am… Review 3
Saturday 7am… Guru

And Level up, and Repeat. I alway do lessons at 7 am, and I always split vocab up equally among the mornings between vocab releases on Saturday and Tuesday, so every day I only have about 150 reviews.

5 Likes

ahh ok This seems doable, except for the 7ams haha I’ll probably drag them to 8.30am haha! Thank you so much for the guide and tips!

1 Like

So Wicchi, let’s say I start my new level at sunday; I’ll just do ALL my lessons which are available then, then I do all reviews available at 11am, then all reviews available at 7pm , right? Or do I have to do 20 lessons EVERY morning, no right?

Do you recommend your way? So divide lessons? And I’ve read your posts on some filter thing, I’m not sure what that is or how it should be used but I guess I’ll have to try it?

I prefer not to do all my lessons at one time.
On level up about 100 items are released. about 5 radicals, and 25 kanji, and 70 vocab. It’s easy enough to do all 30 radicals/kanji on Saturday for example. 8:30. Then I personally save the 70 vocab for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday mornings.

Then when I guru the radicals/kanji on Tuesday (Or Wednesday in your case) I have another 100 or more vocab to deal with. I normally divide the under by four.
Tuesday night I’ll due 1/4, in this case 25(making sure to complete the newly release kanjis.) I split the rest over Wed, Thurs, and Friday mornings. So I have zero left when more items are Released upon level up.

This method getting to 0 lessons before the next batch is release gives me around 20-25 lessons a day. THIS IS more than enough to stretch your brain to near breaking in my mind. But because of this I also have a steady number of reviews, about 150 a day. I never have days that are more or less than this. I never have days with 0 reviews, but I have never ever had a day with more than 200, except I think once.

4 Likes

I highly recommend my way. It let’s you get 7 day level ups, but also no day has more reviews then any other. I promise when you have enlightened/master/and Guru 2 reviews come back around, and leeches, 150 is the max I like to do per day.

I also highly recommend you look around for APIs that you like

1 Like

@wicchi pretty much nailed it. The main reason to spread them out is that they accumulate.

:point_up_2: This quote from that thread sums it up.

4 Likes

Listen to this guy lol @LeonVerr I got to 60 in over 2 years very inefficiently

3 Likes

I follow pretty much the same schedule :partying_face: I level up on Wednesdays though, so I get the bulk of vocab during the weekend, when I can spend more time learning it.

Works really well!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, I’ve spent 4 hours going through all scripts and guides etc., so now I have an idea of what to do; my reviews and lessons are still all over the place, but I guess I’ll start doing 20 lessons a day when I start the new level; which is in like 2 days and if you want to answer any questions I have then, I’d be really grateful!

I hope to see you around the forums some more, you helpful saint!

1 Like

flashback to WaniKani Wednesday…

4 Likes

I’m sorry to bother you once more, but I unlocked lv 5 right now; it’s 15.45 right now, so I guess I’ll postpone the new lessons untill I’ve guru’d everything from level 4 and then start with the new “schedule”? First doing the lessons, I’ll use the filter to do all the kanji/radicals first and then go on with a nice schedule for the vocab using your guidance :stuck_out_tongue: I WILL have to do Wanikani reviews and lessons 3x EVERY day right? Let’s assume I’ve guru’d all my lesson 4 vocab at Tuesday night, then, Wednesday I’ll start lv 5 and do ALL available kanji and radicals, then again at 12.30pm, then again at 8.30 pm, then the next morning; I will do 20 vocab lessons at 8.30 am, these 20 again at 12.30pm and then the 20 vocab PLUS the rad/kanji at 20.30; then next day another 20, 20, 20(from “yesterday”) and the next day I’ll get the same but then i’ll guru the rads and kanji, and from there on I’ll have a good schedule i think O.o

Sorry I tend to overthink things sometimes T_T

oww, that looks consistent haha!

Oh, also consider using:

Under the items tab you can easily check total number of items per level, and then divide it by the number of day you want the level to take. For instance level 4 has 184 items so 20 items a day will get you a 9.2 day level. etc. You’ll figure out the best way to split the vocab. You should experiment with different systems.

1 Like

handy stuff, dang!

So If you do lessons at 8:30, the lessons will be available at 12:00. If you complete them at 8:59, they’ll be ready at 12:00.