Thursday May 4 2023 Content Updates

Radicals

(13) - Updated the meaning mnemonic.

Kanji

(6) - Added “leader” to the block list.

(13) - Added “ten million” to the block list.

(24) - Added “completion” to the allow list.

(23) - Added “ratio” to the allow list.

(23) - Added “surpass” to the allow list.

(23) - Added “actor” to the allow list.

(24) - Added “unfold” to the allow list.

(24) - Added “warrior” to the allow list.

(25) - Added “slip out” to the allow list.

(27) - Added “tie” to the allow list.

(27) - Added “sleep” to the allow list.

(27) - Added “sane” to the allow list.

(28) - Added “attack” to the allow list.

(28) - Added “amass” to the allow list.

(29) - Added “draw near” to the allow list.

(29) - Added “examine” to the allow list.

(52) - Removed れふ from the on’yomi.

Vocabulary

当たる (5) - Updated the reading explanation.

作家 (7) - Updated the meaning explanation.

作者 (8) - Updated the meaning explanation.

(8) - Updated the meaning explanation.

交わる (9) - Added “to intercept” to the block list.

部屋 (9) - Updated the reading explanation.

角度 (9) - Updated the meaning explanation.

当て字 (10) - Updated the meaning explanation.

速度 (10) - Updated the meaning explanation.

整理 (13) - Updated three collocation translations.

表情 (13) - Added “expression” to the allow list.

全治 (13) - Moved “healed,” “fully recover”, “fully recovered”, “healed completely”, “heal completely”, “completely cured”, “fully cured”, and “fully healed” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and moved ぜんじ to the reading warning list.

女神 (13) - Moved じょしん to the reading warning list.

折角 (14) - Added “at great pains” to the allow list.

出席 (17) - Added “presence” to the allow list.

紀元前 (17) - Added “before the modern era” and “before modern era” to the block list.

自愛 (17) - Moved “selfishness” from the allowlist to the warning list and added “narcissism” to the warning list.

お持ち帰り (19) - Added “carryout” and “carry out” to the allow list.

(22) - Moved あたい to the primary reading, moved ね to the alternative reading, updated the meaning explanation, updated the reading explanation, and fixed an error with a context sentence (the Japanese sentence and its translation were mistakenly inputted in the wrong order).

副題 (22) - Updated the meaning explanation.

現れる (23) - Updated the meaning explanation.

(23) - Updated the meaning explanation.

現す (23) - Updated the meaning explanation.

触る (24) - Added “to irritate” to the meaning warning list.

置き場 (24) - Moved “location to put something,” “place to put down,” and “location to put down” to the allow list, and added “place to put” to the allow list.

対策 (24) - Added “measure” to the allow list.

発展する (24) - Added “to unfold” to the warning list.

鮮魚 (25) - Updated the meaning explanation.

優れる (25) - Updated the meaning explanation.

金属 (25) - Updated the meaning explanation.

含意 (25) - Updated the meaning explanation.

効力 (25) - Updated the meaning explanation.

天候 (25) - Updated the meaning explanation.

絞める (25) - Updated the meaning explanation.

効く (25) - Added “to work effectively” as the alternative meaning and updated the meaning explanation.

絞殺 (25) - Added “murder by strangling” as the primary meaning, added “strangling to death” as the alternative meaning, moved “death by strangling,” “strangled to death” and “strangling” to the allow list, added “kill by strangling” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

属する (25) - Updated the meaning explanation.

所属 (25) - Moved “affiliation” to the primary meaning, moved “attached to” and added “belonging to” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

独立 (26) - Added “self-reliance” to the allow list.

誘惑 (27) - Moved “seduction” to the primary meaning, moved “temptation” to the alternative meaning, added “lure”, “enticement”, “entice”, “seduce”, and “tempt” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

濃度 (27) - Updated the meaning explanation.

精度 (28) - Updated the meaning explanation.

修士 (28) - Added “master’s” to the allow list.

見極める (29) - Added “to identify” and “to make sure of something” to the allow list.

誘惑する (29) - Moved “to seduce” to the primary meaning, moved “to tempt” to the alternative meaning, added “to lure” and “to entice” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

越える (30) - Updated the reading explanation.

幾度 (31) - Updated the meaning explanation.

(34) - Updated the reading explanation.

躍動 (39) - Moved “throb” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

傾ける (40) - Added “to lean something” as the primary meaning, added"to tilt something" as the alternative meaning, moved “to lean” and “to tilt” to the alternative meaning, and updated the meaning explanation.

泥沼 (43) - Added “quagmire” as the primary meaning, moved “bog” to the alternative meaning, added “morass” to the alternative meaning, moved “marsh” to the allow list, added “mire” to the allow list, and and updated the meaning explanation.

(44) - Added “cabinet” as the alternative meaning.

〜狩り (47) - Moved かり to the reading warning list.

輝度 (48) - Updated the meaning explanation.

緯度 (53) - Updated the meaning explanation.

Movements

• Level 13: 畐 Scarecrow (radical) - moved up to level 15.
  • Level 13: (kanji) - moved up to level 15.
  • Level 12: 田代島 (たしろじま) - moved up to level 13.
  • Level 13: 福島 (ふくしま) - moved up to level 15.
  • Level 17: 自覚 (じかく) - moved up to level 20.
  • Level 25: 時限 (じげん) - moved up to level 38.
19 Likes

3265eba18f76720319456868403c559d

2 Likes

Thank you to the WK team for the meaning updates that have been added lately, providing context for when a given word would be used and how it differs from other words with the same/a similar meaning. They’re quite helpful, and just about every week, when I read through these content update notes, I get insight into why I see a given word at one point and another similar one at another (所 vs. 場所, for example, or why I see “speed” written in kanji here and only in katakana when I’m reading Japanese stories). Since I’m using WaniKani to learn how to read Japanese, not just memorize kanji, these additions are really important, in my opinion.

4 Likes

A tiny one:

The kanji (こん) has a primary meaning of “navy” and an alternative of “dark blue”. The vocabulary item (こん) has a primary meaning of “navy blue” with alternatives “deep blue” and “navy”.

Today I got a shake warning answering “deep blue” for the kanji because that was the vocabulary meaning, not the kanji meaning.

It seems very odd to me to accept “dark blue” for the kanji, but expressly not “deep blue”. I understand wanting to emphasize the distinction between vocab/kanji for many single-character vocabulary, but in this case the kanji meaning and vocabulary meaning are identical, no?

If there is a difference I don’t comprehend it. “Navy”, “dark blue”, “navy blue”, and “deep blue” all mean pretty much the same exact color don’t they? A blue that isn’t quite indigo.

2 Likes

Thank you for spotting this! I’ve fixed the meanings of each subject to be identical. (I ended up adding/moving “deep blue” to the allow list for both).

4 Likes