Thursday March 23 2023 Content Updates

Kanji

(3) - Added “1000,” “1,000,” and “one thousand” to the block list.

(7) - Added “first name” to the block list.

(13) - Updated the meaning mnemonic, meaning hint, reading mnemonic, and reading hint.

(14) - Added “wish” to the allow list.

(18) - Added “torment” to the allow list.

(19) - Added “passage of time” to the allow list.

(22) - Added “display” to the allow list.

(22) - Added “duplicate” to the allow list.

(22) - Added “princess” to the allow list.

(28) - Added “degree” to the allow list.

Vocabulary

左右 (2) - Added a new context sentence.

〜回 (5) - Added “counter for times” and “times counter” to the allow list.

未来 (7) - Updated two context sentences.

ナポレオン三世 (7) - Added “Napoleon,” “Napoleon The 2nd,” “Napoleon 2nd,” “Napoleon 2,” and “Napoleon II” to the block list.

この前 (8) - Added “the other side” to the block list.

要求 (10) - Added “request” to the allow list and updated the meaning explanation.

〜位 (11) - Removed “counter” from word type.

要求する (12) - Added “to request something” and “to request” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

仏典 (16) - Updated the meaning explanation.

事典 (16) - Updated the meaning explanation.

急行 (16) - Added “hurrying” to the allow list.

治す (17) - Added “to wash” and “to wash something” to the block list.

〜達 (18) - Added “plural” to the allow list.

姿 (22) - Added one context sentence.

各〜 (22) - Added one context sentence.

勢い (22) - Added one context sentence.

費用 (22) - Added one context sentence.

各々 (22) - Added one context sentence and updated one context sentence.

外観 (22) - Added two context sentence.

反応 (22) - Added two context sentence.

評価 (22) - Added two context sentence.

区域 (22) - Added “territory” and “domain” to the allow list.

罰ゲーム (22) - Added “punishment game” to the allow list.

典型的 (24) - Added “stereotypical” and “prototypical” as alternative meanings and updated the meaning explanation.

特徴 (26) - Added “feature” to the allow list.

突く (26) - Added “to make” to the block list.

過程 (28) - Added “progress” to the block list.

越す (32) - Updated the meaning explanation.

永久 (32) - Added とこしえ, とこしなえ, とことわ, とわ to the reading warning list.

吐く (34) - Added “to spit” as an alternative meaning, moved “to barf” and “to vomit” to the allow list, added “to spit out” and “to spit up” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

甲斐性 (41) - Added かいしょ to the reading warning list.

擦れる (43) - Added かすれる to the reading warning list.

土砂 (44) - Moved どさ from the reading allow list to the reading warning list.

小舟 (45) - Added おぶね to the reading warning list.

擦る (45) - Added さする, かする, なする to the reading warning list.

21 Likes

Thank you for all that you do!!

6 Likes

I’m confused as to why “Napoleon” is a blocked synonym for ナポレオン三世 - in English, if someone were to say Napoleon, I would always first assume they were talking about the historical figure, not some other meaning that would require a blocked synonym

4 Likes

I assume because the purpose of the vocab is not to practice ナポレオン, but 三世. After all, the vocab is there to reinforce the kanji :wink:

1 Like

IME in English if somebody says “Napoleon” they mean Napoleon Bonaparte, born in Corsica, leader of France in the Napoleonic Wars, and loser of the battle of Waterloo. ナポレオン三世 is Napoleon III, who was the nephew of the guy everybody thinks of if you say “Napoleon”. So that’s probably also part of why it’s blocked :slight_smile:

(Personally I think ルパン三世 would be better vocab for teaching 三世 :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

As @NeoArcturus said, we are using this vocabulary to help remember the word 三世, and someone requested to add these incorrect versions to the block list. But I see your point, so I moved “Napoleon” on the warning list instead of the block list.

@pm215 Thank you for your explanation and suggestion. ルパン三世 is now added to the future vocab consideration list.

3 Likes

Oh! I didn’t realize Napoleon III was actually different than Napoleon Bonaparte, so I understand it being blocked now, thanks, that makes a lot of sense now

Given my initial misunderstanding, I don’t think that’s necessary anymore, but I appreciate the timely response!

3 Likes