Thursday December 8 2022 Content Updates

Kanji

(7) - Added “still” to the allow list.

Vocabulary

当たり (5) - Added “to hit” and “to guess” to the block list.

未だ (7) - Updated the meaning and reading explanations.

親展 (24) - Added “personal” and “private” to the allow list.

含む (25) - Added “to exclude” to the block list.

Additions

• Level 3: 日の出 (ひので) - sunrise
  • Level 6: 他の人 (ほかのひと) - someone else
  • Level 18: 初恋 (はつこい) - first love
  • Level 23: 町外れ (まちはずれ) - outskirts of town
  • Level 30: 節々 (ふしぶし) - joints
  • Level 40: 世に出る (よにでる) - to go out into the world

Movements

• Level 5: 万人 (ばんにん) - moved up to level 42.
  • Level 5: 作用 (さよう) - moved up to level 23.
  • Level 16: 係わる - moved up to level 25, and updated the meaning and reading explanations.
  • Level 35: (kanji) - moved down to level 15.
  • Level 35: 払う (はらう) - moved down to level 15.
  • Level 37: 支払い (しはらい) - moved down to level 16.
28 Likes

Thanks Jenny & Kumirei!

2 Likes

Thank you, Jenny and team!

This is one of those words that I’ve known the meaning of forever, but always struggle to come up with an English meaning during my reviews. I don’t envy you folks sometimes — there are so many words which are difficult to succinctly translate into English.

Since it’s definitively 名詞(めいし) (a noun), it makes sense to block “to hit”.

Except … except … except it’s such a common single-word exclamation. When used that way, it somehow feels like a verb to me (like: “[my number] hit” or “my number came up” in the context of a lottery).

Just musing to myself (definitely not suggesting any changes) but I suppose 「当たり!」 is effectively short for 「当たりだ!」which may explain why I want to think of it as verb-like. Japanese really is so predicate-centric that a single-noun exclamation like this makes me want to think of it as verb-like.

Thinking further, it seems strange that it’s more common to exclaim 「当たり!」 than 「当たった!」.

Why, Japanese people, why?!

Anyway, this is one of those words that’s easier to think about in Japanese. It hurts my brain trying to come up with an English equivalent. “A success” and “hit” are probably as reasonable as anything.

I think in English we’d most likely say something “bullseye” or “bingo” in circumstances where Japanese would say 「当たり!」— but those words aren’t ideal either (they bring in different connotations).

You folks have a tough job!

8 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

3 Likes

Thanks, Jenny!

2 Likes

Thanks, but these two vocabularies still on Level 5, cmiiw.

3 Likes

I always hate it when things move up to a very high level…

I know there’s a good reason, but it feels like they’re running away from me.

3 Likes

I had the same pause for thought as you about 当たり @Rrwrex! I think on balance it’s helpful to distinguish it from 当たる though… :thinking:

Thanks a lot for pointing that out @ayamGoreng99! They should be in the right place now.

@VisitsFromTheIsnt Haven’t you already done these though? Or do you mean in general? I do understand the sentiment!

4 Likes