Thursday December 1 2022 Content Updates

Kanji

(21) - Added “acknowledge” as an alternative meaning, and updated the meaning mnemonic, meaning hint, reading mnemonic and the reading hint.

(30) - Made “the next” the primary meaning, “the following” an alternative meaning, moved “next” and “following” to the allow list, and updated the meaning mnemonic, meaning hint, and reading mnemonic.

Vocabulary

中古 (3) - Added “2nd hand” to the allow list.

先ず (4) - Added “first” to the allow list.

投げる (8) - Added “to drop something” to the block list.

​​虫歯 (12) - Added “dental cavity” to the allow list.

能力 (14) - Added “capacity” to the block list.

殺人者 (15) - Added “murder” to the block list.

係わる (16) - Made “to be involved” the primary meaning, made “to be related” and “to be connected” alternative meanings, moved “to be involved with”, “to be connected with”, “to have to do with”, and “to be affected” to the allow list, added “to be related to” to the allow list, and updated the meaning and reading explanations.

認める (21) - Made “to acknowledge” the primary meaning, and updated the meaning and reading explanations.

締結する (27) - Added “to retire” to the block list.

翌日 (30) - Updated the meaning explanation.

翌月 (30) - Updated the meaning explanation.

呪う (45) - Added “to accuse” to the block list.

Additions

Movements

• Level 3: (kanji) - moving up to level 10.
  • Level 3: 公用 (こうよう) - moving up to level 25.
  • Level 5: 公社 (こうしゃ) - moving up to level 23.
  • Level 57: (kanji) - moving up to level 58.
22 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

1 Like

Gut.
Thanks.

1 Like

I found a couple more context sentences that could be corrected.

I am not completely sure about the first one, but in the context sentence for 「勘弁」the ending is 「してちゃぶ台。」I have never heard of this before, so I thought it may be a colloquial saying or some sort of joke perhaps, but I was unable to find any resource that supports that. Is this a mistake? Usually して頂戴(ちょうだい)is used for that kind of sentence.

Secondly, this is a minor thing, but in the first context sentence for the word 「漂う」the kanji for smell「臭い」 was used. This kanji is used mainly for unpleasant smells; however, the sentence is talking about a tasty smelling miso soup. I think this kanji 「匂い」is more appropriate regarding the nuance of the sentence.

Thank you for the updates Jenny :smile:

2 Likes

@Ruinbat

Thank you for your questions!

勘弁してちゃぶ台 is indeed a play on words; it’s a comical way of saying 勘弁してちょうだい by replacing ちょうだい with 卓袱台(ちゃぶだい). It sounds like a random grandpa joke and it’s not a common one, though. I agree it’s confusing for learners, so I just updated it to 勘弁してよ.

And you’re right that 臭い isn’t suitable there! I’ve just updated it to 匂い. Thanks. :blush::+1:

2 Likes

Today’s idle thought.

Has WK ever thought of adding images to some meanings?

Today, for example, I finally broke down to figure out the difference between (たわら) and (ふくろ). Both have a meaning of “sack” on Wanikani, but they are very different things:

vs.

Pictures won’t work for abstract concepts, but at least for concrete and uniquely Japanese things (like 俵、下駄、お守り and the like), a picture would be worth a thousand words.

(For those like myself mystified by that image of a tawara “sack”, it’s mostly used to hold rice.)

One more:

(つづみ)

(“hand drum” didn’t quite suffice for me)

4 Likes

For those that follow sumo, tawara should be familiar as they are used to form the ring of the dohyou. The NHK World commentators use that word frequently.

1 Like

Again never noticed the additions but everything seems good at a glance.

Still waiting on lifetime subscription deal being released this month.