Thursday August 31 2023 Content Updates

Radicals

Horns (4) - Added “thorns” to the block list.

(35) - Added “tame” to the warning list.

(40) - Added “congratulations” to the warning list.

Kanji

(9) - Updated the reading mnemonic.

(18) - Added (29) to the visually similar kanji list.

(20) - Added “construct” to the block list.

(27) - Added “be perplexed,” “perplexed,” and “perplexity” to the warning list.

(32) - Added “long ago” to the warning list.

(32) - Added “into” as the primary meaning, added “included” as the alternative meaning, moved “crowded” to the warning list, updated the meaning mnemonic and hint, and updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(37) - Added “put up” to the warning list.

(53) - Added “ratify” as the alternative meaning, and added “quasi,” “allow,” “grant,” and “permit” to the allow list.

(60) - Removed らん from the on’yomi reading.

Vocabulary

下げる (1) - Added “to raise” and “to raise something” to the block list.

一年生 (4) - Added “freshman” and “first-year student” to the allow list.

右手 (4) - Added “left-hand side” to the block list.

先々月 (4) - Updated the translation of a context sentence.

三日月 (5) - Updated the reading explanation. Added みかずき to the warning list.

二斤 (7) - Added “2 loaves,” “2 bread loaves,” and “2 loaves of bread” to the allow list.

近々 (7) - Updated the reading explanation. Added ちかじか to the warning list.

通り (9) - Added どおり, とうり, どうり to the warning list.

去る (10) - Added “to pass” to the allow list.

根本 (12) - Added “roof” to the block list.

賞金 (13) - Added “prize” to the warning list.

(14) - Updated the meaning explanation.

合計 (15) - Added “sum total” to the allow list.

美術館 (16) - Updated a context sentence.

手洗い (20) - Updated the reading explanation.

実際 (21) - Added “real” to the allow list.

伝統的 (24) - Updated the meaning explanation.

現す (25) - Updated the meaning explanation.

過ごす (26) - Added “to surpass” to the block list.

屈む (27) - Added “to produce” to the block list.

込む (32) - Added “to get into” as the primary meaning, added “to go deep into” as the alternative meaning, added “to go into” to the allow list, moved “to be crowded” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

華々しい (33) - Added “glorious,” “splended,” and “spectacular” to the allow list.

込める (34) - Added “to load something” as the alternative meaning, moved “to load” to the allow list, added “to put something in” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and updated the reading explanation.
飛び込み自殺 (34) - Added “suicide by jumping,” “suicide by throwing oneself,” “committing suicide by train,” “committing suicide by throwing oneself,” and “committing suicide by jumping” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and updated the reading explanation.

詰め込む (34) - Added “to pack,” “to jam,” and “to crowd” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

人込み (34) - Added “a crowd of people” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation and updated the reading explanation.

書き込む (34) - Moved “to write in” to the primary meaning, moved “to fill out” to the alternative meaning, added “to jot down” as the alternative meaning, added “to write,” “to fill in,” “to type in,” and “to jot down in” to the allow list, added “to fill” and “to enter” to the warning list, updated the meaning explanation, and updated the reading explanation.

申し込む (34) - Added “to propose” as the alternative meaning, added “to make a proposal,” “to offer,” “to propose something,” and “to offer something” to the allow list, added “to request,” “to ask for,” “to challenge,” and “to enter” to the warning list, updated the meaning explanation, and updated the reading explanation.

核実験 (36) - Added “nuclear experiment” to the allow list.

恥知らず (37) - Added “shameless” and “unabashed” to the allow list.

依頼人 (38) - Updated the meaning explanation.

還元 (38) - Added three context sentences, added one common word combination, and updated the meaning explanation.

踏み込む (38) - Added “to step hard on,” “to intrude,” and “to delve into” as alternative meanings, moved “to rush into” to the allow list, added “to break into,” “to step in,” and “to step hard” to the allow list, moved “to step on” to the warning list, updated the meaning explanation, and updated the reading explanation.

吹き込む (42) - Added “to breathe into” and “to imbue” as the alternative meaning, added “to infuse,” “to breathe,” “to inspire,” “to blow,” “to blow into,” and “to record” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and updated the reading explanation.

駆け込む (42) - Added “to run into,” “to seek safety,” “to seek help,” “to take refuge,” “to rush in,” “to hurry in,” and “to run in” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and updated the reading explanation.

首班 (48) - Updated the meaning explanation.

殴り込み (50) - Added “make a raid,” “making a raid,” “raiding,” “attack,” “assault,” “attacking,” and “assaulting” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and updated the reading explanation.

15 Likes

These are typos. May want to double check the corresponding entries in the allow list

3 Likes

Thank you for spotting them! Fixed both the post and the content. :bowing_woman:

7 Likes

Seeing the tofugu logo in your avatar, made me remember playing Monkey Island 3 yesterday, where Guybrush Threepwood stuffs a huge block of tofu into his pants. XD

sorry not sorry for sharing!
4 Likes

Hmm, actually, I only highlighted the one letter ‘b’, but in reality there are two letters different between ‘subside’ and ‘suicide’. :flushed: :man_facepalming: Might want to double-check again! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This is for a radical. How is it possible for a radical to have on’yomi reading?

3 Likes

Please add the vocabulary 博士

5 Likes

Horns (4) - Added “thorns” to the block list.

You probably wrote the full word because there’s no character for that radical. But if I might suggest something: I think the combination of " `´ " looks very much like that radical.

3 Likes

Just guru’d this today, lovely

6 Likes

Thank you, but no new kana vocabulary? :frowning_face:

1 Like

Careful, you might incite a war

2 Likes

It’ll be fiiiine

4 Likes

@mamimumason -san, Could we make a minor change to 墓地 (31) to swap the primary and secondary definitions? Primary to ‘Cemetery’, and Alternative to ‘Graveyard’. (I summarize the minimal changes below, including a slight modification to the meaning mnemonic and possibly to the context sentence. Also, see edit below for a possible way to distinguish them in terms of their usage.)

Rationale

Currently both 墓地 (31) and 墓場 (33) have exactly the same Primary and Alternative meanings. This is normally not a big problem for using WaniKani per se, but it does make it difficult to distinguish between the two on a ‘reverse WaniKani’ app like KaniWani, where you have to produce the Japanese kana answer from the English meaning(s) list.

Normally I would solve this by looking up the meanings (say, on Jisho) and adding my own ‘disambiguation’ User Synonyms to the items on WaniKani. Within about a day, these additional alternative meanings will show up on KaniWani, allowing me to use them as clues to help decide whether to answer 墓地 or 墓場.

However, looking on Jisho, there are no additional obvious meanings to help disambiguate them. What Jisho does do is exactly what I’m asking for:

• 墓地 (Jisho) has its meanings listed with ‘cemetery’ first: “cemetery; graveyard​”
    • Furthermore, it also links to a ‘Wikipedia definition’, which is the Wikipedia page for ‘Cemetery’ (in English), and ‘墓地’ (in Japanese). So it appears that at least according to the Japanese–English word-association used for Wikipedia (and also Jisho), 墓地 is more closely associated to the word ‘cemetery’ than to ‘graveyard’. Also, 墓地 is more closely associated to the word ‘cemetery’ than 墓場 is.
  • 墓場 (Jisho) has its meanings listed with ‘graveyard’ first: “graveyard; cemetery​”
  • As some additional evidence that there is at least some disambiguation beyond just swapping the order of meanings, 墓地 is listed as a JLPT level N1 word, whereas 墓場 does not have a JLPT level associated with it. [On Jisho, at least! I’m not 100% sure that the Jisho JLPT level listings are always up-to-date with the most current JLPT standards.]

I know this distinction is probably subtle and may not actually map directly to Japanese. But for the purposes of disambiguation of nearly-synonymous words in a ‘sister app’ like KaniWani, it would greatly reduce frustration! :pray:

Summary

To summarize, I think I can identify the minimal changes necessary to make this modification:

1. On 墓地 (31):
    • Move “Cemetery” as the primary meaning, move “Graveyard” as the alternative meaning.
    • Update the meaning mnemonic. I suggest simply swapping the order of mentions from “This is a graveyard, or cemetery.” to “This is a cemetery, or graveyard.”
    • Reading mnemonic: No change needed! :partying_face:
    • (Possibly) Update the context sentence to use ‘cemetery’ instead of ‘graveyard’: “Our garden is adjacent to a graveyardcemetery.”
  2. On 墓場 (33):
    • (Possibly) Update the context sentence to use ‘graveyard’ instead of ‘cemetery’: “If you live next to a cemeterygraveyard”.

Of course, if you or anyone on the WK team happen to know of a more authentically accurate way of disambiguating these two vocabs – for example, maybe one is more ‘formal’ than the other, or whatever? – then adding such information to the Meaning Explanations would be great. But for the minimal disambiguation I’m requesting here, it is not strictly necessary. :slight_smile: Cheers!

Edited to add:

Ah! I seem to have discovered a possible way of disambiguating them, using Jisho alone. If you search for #sentences using those terms, you see that the usages are a little bit different.

• 墓場 #sentences - Jisho.org tend to be a bit more on the metaphorical side, such as “From the cradle to the grave.” or “What is learned in the cradle is carried to the tomb.”
    • So, I added “The Grave” and “The Tomb” as User Synonyms to this one.
  • 墓地 #sentences - Jisho.org tend to be literal references to physical cemeteries/graveyards, like “He was buried in this graveyard.” and “J.F. Kennedy was buried in Arlington Cemetery.”
    • I temporarily added “Cemetery (N1)” as a User Synonym, based on the earlier discussion, but will probably delete it later.
1 Like

All good, thanks again!

1 Like

Oops, good catch.
I just moved it to the kanji section.
(cc: @TofuguNico Could you update Notion page?)

2 Likes

On our list!!!

1 Like

Thank you for your advice :smiley: :+1: