Those who completed WaniKani

I can live with it.

1 Like

Screenshot 2020-01-31 at 18.34.53

It took me a while to notice, but, it is in text form instead!
Screenshot 2020-01-31 at 18.35.35

3 Likes

there is no “completion” of wanikani there is only eternal p-pain and suf-

8 Likes

I’m a lowly level 17, but if you want my thoughts - it’s actually one of the only things that have made me a consistent Japanese student rather than someone who occasionally picked up new words and the like, as was convenient. I frequently go to Japan and in the past 4+ months of doing Wanikani, I’ve been to Japan a couple times and each time, my vocabulary as a result of WK made a lot of things more obvious or allowed me to read more signage or more communicate with people.

I couple Wanikani with taking private lessons (mostly for grammar/conversation) with a Japanese expat teacher who lives in the states, and now I can semi-comfortably read the Japanese versions of some of my favorite manga - currently I’m working through Ranma 1/2, but I still need to learn more grammatical constructs to speed up the reading. For reference I’m at the end of Genki I and transitioning to Genki II.

I can say that in the early stages of learning, which is probably where most people are in the first, say, 20-30 levels of WK, you really need to expose yourself to Japanese frequently. I guess I have kind of an unfair advantage for kanji and context switching languages in my mind, as I can speak/read Chinese and French, but I have friends who don’t use the knowledge they’ve learned from studying Japanese/WK and they aren’t comfortable using it at all or quickly forget it.

By itself, though, Wanikani is more of a supplement in my mind, as you will only know vocabulary and none of the grammar.

2 Likes

Yes, sir! Here you go, sir!
Sack, れい, へい, たわら, そし, cash, encourage, obstruction!

ああっ!そうですか。 :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.