Those New Lessons in Your Queue

Tests for time can be a right pain. I still like to reread Falsehoods Developers Believe About Time every so often.

1 Like

Cool!

At my current rate, I’ll get around to these new lessons in 2019.

Cheers!

Can you give examples of kanji which should be unlocked?

The kanji unlocks when

1. All the component radicals reach Guru and
  2. You have reached the Kanji level.

If the above conditions are met and the kanji isn’t still unlock we can take a look into it.

The adjustments were done processing for a while now.

Damn son, I got 68 new lessons. But I have 107 reviews…

Just to follow up, not knowing the exact details, I did an initial scan on your account.

At level six, you have all forty kanji eligible for unlock. All of them but one are in your reviews right now. The lone Kanji which is not in your reviews is 歩, which should be in your lesson queue.

All kanji below level 6 are already unlocked and in your review queue already. Many of them are at the Guru, Master, or Enlighten stage.

I can provide more details if you allow me.

2 Likes

Thank you for your trouble. I didn’t expect such a detailed investigation.

Today I had indeed kanjis in my lessons. I don’t know how to see the lesson queue, but 歩 and 室 show up as ‘locked’ on https://www.wanikani.com/lattice/kanji/status. I thought that means they will not be in the lesson queue, as they first need to be unlocked.

Thanks for your help though, I am sure everything is fine now.

Ahh okay. Looks like we need to update the naming of the states. Sorry for the confusion.

2 Likes

As ever, thanks for all the hard work! As a programmer, I can totally appreciate the quiet ahem that we hear from another part of code that is determined not to be overlooked. Then, suddenly, it’s as if the “Oh, and one more thing…” gets stuck on a loop for a time. I wasn’t affected by this - as I’ve managed to unlock everything, but this means I won’t have to face this in the future as I climb the kanji ladder! Thanks much!

1 Like

that would be really nice; new little badge for those items waiting in the lesson queue too. :slight_smile:

on the side note: is this bug connected to the issue where a bunch of items from the previous level showed up in the new unlocks list with a back-date?, like they where unlocked 2 weeks earlier but they were nowhere to see at that time

Well since this bug fixed and i feel like the number of Reviews has decreased significantly , others reported the same ?

I’m not sure what you mean. You think there are items that should have appeared for review but haven’t? Like what? Reviews totals fluctuate on a day-to-day basis.

see i use WaniKani in a specific time of the day , so usually i get around 50 - 70 each morning , and 40’s in the evening , this time it is way less.

it is just an observation no solid prove.

Just sounds like normal fluctuation. It happens. Some days I don’t get much either and other times I get 318 coming in the next day and a half (which is what I have to look forward to)

You can check when items will come up for their next review on the individual item page. And if you install the Ultimate Timeline script, you can get a clearer view of the upcoming week

Right now you have 88 apprentice items, so from that you can assume you’ll see those 88 items again some time in the next 2 days, but beyond that it just comes down to how things ebb and flow with the higher level items.

There doesn’t seem to be anything related to this bug that would cause a bug like you’re saying exists. So if it does exist, then I don’t know that here is the right place to bring it up.

Finally!!! After all these years of pain, misery, and endless Japanese I guru’d+ all 60 levels of WaniKani. I truly, honestly can’t believe thi—

• You now have twelve new lessons due to a glitch in our services.

NoooOoOooOooOoOoOOooOoooojdindjeiiindjdjdjjekiseudjdoZJJjiiIUUSUSJDIDIDDJDDKKOOOOOOOOOO

4 Likes

Yes this addresses it.

We started recording milestone events a few months back. A lot of this new data is being exposed in the new API we are working on. Slowly since implementing the recordings we have been updating the app to make use of these timestamps.

The root issue was, under certain conditions, not all records were getting their “unlocked_at” timestamp when they were suppose to. We identified the problem area, patched it, and sat on it a bit to make sure the problem didn’t persist. After that we had to figure out how to backdate the affected records.

Originally we used the record’s creation timestamp as the representative “unlocked_at”, but switched to using a different attribute to remove the dependency on the creation timestamp. The “unlocked_at” timestamp is the datetime when the item is first available in the lesson queue. We started to query for its presence to populate the lesson queue.

We had to identify records which were legitimately unlocked (the table is very large), but not timestamped, and then figure out the appropriate backdate to fill in for the timestamp.

Figuring out the backdate took a little work, but isn’t hard to figure out. It is the maximum datetime of the following:

1. The maximum passed_at timestamp (when the item reached Guru in the srs stage) of the all its components. This is used if the item is at or below the user level at the time when the user passed all of the item’s components.
  2. The unlocked_at timestamp of the level progression data matching the item’s level. This one can get tricky if the user resets. This is for the case if the item in question is at a higher level than the user when they passed all of its components. It follows that the item was unlocked the moment the user reaches the level.

We wanted to be sure we were backdating the unlocked_at timestamp correctly.

Lots of details. But hey, hopefully someone learns from this.

Sooo THAT’S how those 107 lessons popped out outta nowhere. This will be a fun trip :3

I have not logged in for DAYS - and yet, this activity log was on my home page.

Your last session activity was about an hour ago

This has me concerned. Should I be?

Since it says you first joined the forums 49 minutes ago, and posted 47 minutes ago, you don’t have anything to worry about.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.