This word really didn't look useful

I keep learning new words in Wanikani and then seeing them on the NHK Easy site.

Today’s unlikely word was 荷物. I really wouldn’t have expected to find that word anywhere—certainly not on a news site.

1 Like

I can’t understand if you are being sarcastic or not.
荷物 is a very common word.

19 Likes

If you do any travelling, it sure does come in handy.

Along with 旅券、お手洗い、地図、切符、郵便局、予約。。。

Tourist Japanese is still useful Japanese.

1 Like

荷物 also refers to more than just things that travelers use to carry their things on trips. Even though the main meaning given is “luggage.” Your backpack, boxes, bags that someone is carrying while shopping, etc. If people can carry it around (with more than trivial effort, so excluding small things, though my thesaurus actually says size is not a factor, but anyway), it’s probably 荷物.

And お荷物 can refer to a person (or other thing) that is a burden on someone else. So, a figurative meaning.

14 Likes

I did not know that. How passive aggressive. Tea. :joy:

2 Likes

I mean, actually it can be any kind of thing that is a burden as well, not just people, but yeah. It is kind of passive aggressive.

2 Likes

Like “emotional baggage”? Because that’s a common-ish phrase in English.

3 Likes

Yeah, we do say that in English. I think お荷物 is broader, but yeah, it’s similar.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s sort of easy to discard words you learn here as something you’ll never see in the real world only to have them pop up immediately somewhere else.

For me, level has been full of that experience. I’ve been trying to read the web-novel くもですが、何か?and, given how it’s essentially a narrated videogame, it’s full of videogame words. So when I learned the kanji “耐” (endure/resist) & accompanying words I didn’t think they’d be useful any time soon…

Until I found them literally an hour later in the novel, as the character reveals her skills include resistance to poison and acid, 毒耐性, 酸耐性, and so on.

Same goes with starve/starvation! 餓 and 飢, both appeared within the opening pages. I thought I’d see it in the news, maybe, one day… but nope, くも has me covered.

So yeah. Don’t discount WaniKani vocab!

9 Likes

No, I wasn’t being sarcastic.

I figured it would be a common enough word in person, but I didn’t figure on seeing it from where I am, far from Japan.

2 Likes

Sorry to say, but of all the words on WK, 荷物 is one of the most useful, and probably the first one you learn when you get off the plane in Japan. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, I can see that. It makes my whole post look foolish, I know. Nevertheless, I stand by it: it wasn’t what I expected to see from where I’m standing!

In any case I know that there aren’t really any useless words. Every word has its place, and surprises you when it turns up. When I study languages I really enjoy learning very specific words, like the names of insects or birds, just because it makes me feel so competent when I can refer to them or understand a reference.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.