This is why we don't slack off people

13%20PM
I get that feel bro

12 Likes

Generally speaking, in the U.S. the grading system is roughly (with a little bit of leeway): 92-100-A,
85-91-B, 77-84-C, 70-76-D. At least that has been my experience in the multiple school districts I’ve worked in around the country. Although, it really wouldn’t surprise me if the scale is getting lowered in the last few years since I retired.

Um wtf no. 70-79% is a C. 60’s would be D

6 Likes

That’s why there’s vacation mode. I took a year off and only got between 200 to 300 reviews when I came back.

As to grades in the US, no wonder so many people say that they’re failing. Getting 50% in other countries would be a bare pass but not so in the US, it seems. That would be a precursor to failing, wouldn’t it?

haha
the US system keeps changing
(ignoring the +/- systems)

When I was in school as a kid it was easy
 you pretty much only had to be breathing to get a C
yet there were the handful of problem kids that did get bad grades

90-100 A 80-89 B 70-79 C 60-69 D and < 60
you fail

GPA was A=4.0, B=3.0 C= 2.0, D=1.0 and well again you fail

Then later after I graduated high school ages ago
they then started weighting the scores for the Honors/AP classes (which I took but wasn’t given these same things)
A=5.0 B=4.0 / Don’t know if C and D got bumped up
but in any case
they keep changing the targets
(even though I was in these classes it never seemed fair to those students that didn’t quality for the GATE/HONORS/AP programs to be stuck with a measly 4.0 and others with a 5.0
if someone is comparing their grades they are already at a disadvantage (on paper anyway)

College depends on the class, sometimes its graded on a curve so you hope for a C
and if you are the one to mess up the curve (would be me or one of my friends) you didn’t tell anyone that you actually did your homework and studied
right? hehe

now with all the new teaching stuff core curriculum or whatever it’s called its changed further
honestly I have no idea what they are doing now
all I know is that my friend who is also an engineer cannot teach his daughter how to do math because ‘it’s wrong’ that way even though the method is perfectly fine and the answer is correct

I say learn however you learn best and as long as you know the material well enough to explain it to someone else then you know it
that’s all there is to it :wink:

Answering wrong or not answering doesn’t make a difference in your score. Usually they’re designed so you can’t solve all the problems in the allotted time, so getting things wrong is it’s own “punishment” because you’re wasting time.
It also depends on the exam, because they’re leaving themselves some wiggle room in grading. If everyone did too well, they’ll raise the %'s to lower the average.

1 Like

What type of tests are designed for you to fail? They way my teachers in uni and high school told us they wrote the test is they did it themselves, then doubled the time and that’s how much we had. We don’t grade on a curve here.

1 Like

Exams can get quite stressfull and the very few that don’t do it that way are always appreciated, but I’m used to it, so it doesnt really seem all that strange to me
 :sweat_smile:

I did basically the same thing earlier in the year :slight_smile: Definitely feels good to get it done in one go. I’d imagine once you get into the higher levels, it’s probably better to focus on other aspects of learning Japanese so it might be good to take a break from Wanikani at some point.
https://community.wanikani.com/t/time-for-some-fun/34855/7?u=peterwhite

1 Like

Here in Romania we don’t get graded with letters, we get points, usually on a 1 to 10 scale (for some subjects you can get points from 1 to 100 but then it gets divided by 10 eventually). For most exams, the passing grade is 5 so it’s a static standard. What’s grading on a curve(did I get that right)? I’m having trouble following your conversation.

1 Like

Grading on a curve means that everyones grade is boosted

It’s grading so that the grades follow some predetermined average, like a gauss curve.
If everyone did too poorly, they’ll raise the grades. If everyone did too well, they’ll lower the grades.

2 Likes

Hmmmm, I think I’d prefer the objective grading standard I’m used to. So then, the A, B, C etc grades are what exactly?

One reason it’s done that way is because the difficulty of exams varies from year to year. Someone getting a bad grade on a tough exam could have gotten a good grade on an easy one, had he taken it a year later.
Not trying to say it’s necessarily better, but I feel like every system has it’s ups and downs :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t speak for the A to F scale because we don’t use it here either, I only used A to imply the best score attainable.

15 sec per answer is a lot tho!
It should click immediately, 2-4 seconds to type it in

A is 90 -100%
B is 80- 90
C is 70 - 80
D is 60 - 70
F is 60-

American grade system is weird

2 Likes

I don’t really agree with this :stuck_out_tongue:
Usually you’d want your SRS intervals to be right at the point where you’re starting to forget things, so no hesitation for all of them would mean the intervals are too short for you.

Also, depending on how long he didnt do his reviews, some of those will have longer intervalls than usual. If you wouldn’t even have to think about those, with the interval being extended by a week or so, they’re again most likely too short for you.
The fatigue of doing reviews three hours straight deserves a mention as well

1 Like

That’s interesting. I didn’t know that sort of system also existed! Generally students here are always supposed to be able to finish the test and maybe even have time to look over it once more if they’ve learned and understood everything. Sometimes teachers put in a bonus question or something, for students that study outside the curriculum. But in that case usually this points don’t count towards the maximum, so it’s possible to get 105% or something like that.

2 Likes

It might just be my major. With most topics, especially math and physics, the better you understand something, the faster you are. Partially because you don’t hesitate as much, but mostly because there’s so many ways to get to the solution and one approach being way faster than the others.

I’ve certainly taken exams where I could have solved every problem, but didn’t manage in time because I didnt practice enough. Professors here feel quite strongly about time as a factor in scoring.

It does kind of make sense, but I’m not sure if I like it or not :thinking:
I always thought everyone did it that way :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Australian grading system is:

85-100 = High Distinction
75-85 = Distinction
60-75 = Credit
50-60 = Pass
-50 = Fail, but if you’re juuust under fifty and do well in some aspects, you can get a Conceded Pass (though, looking at my uni website, they apparently discontinued that a few years back. Aww. Also, there’s Unsatisfactory Fail, in which you got a high enough mark to pass, but didn’t meet a required aspect, like lab attendance, or you missed the exam or something, so you fail overall.)

At least, that’s how it works at my university. It’s possible that other universities have slighty different numbers.

1 Like