Third time is the charm

NHK News Easy is a good place to go. I used (and still use) an app called Tangoristo on my iPhone that gives you easy access to NHK News Easy, NHK News, and a bunch of fairy tales. The best part of the app is that you can simply tap any kanji to show the furigana, then tap again for a vocab definition. You can also show/hide furigana by JLPT level. Also also, since NHK updates daily, you’re never starved for content. I can’t recommend the Tangoristo app enough - it was a huge help in keeping my practice up while I was on the go for work and school.

The forums have several book clubs at varying levels. The most beginner level is currently reading なぜ?どうして? You can find that club here. The forums also have a Japanese only section that’s good to peruse, even if the reading content isn’t “native”. And Kanae or Mami will correct your posts if you decide to respond to a prompt! \o/

You can also get graded readers, which are an excellent start (but I’ve never used them, so I’m not sure which ones to point to…).

Finally, I definitely have had a lot of fun reading this:

It’s a cute little web comic about a cat and their owner and their various hijinks at home and around town. The grammar and vocab are simple and cute, and it’s good practice reading a more handwritten font. And, if you scroll all the way to the bottom, you can see other comics on the site (although this one is probably one of the simpler ones).

8 Likes