Thinking about stuff that already happened

I got an interesting correction in Japanese today. I wrote
「犬を見て、かわいかったと思った」
This was corrected to
「犬を見て、かわいいと思った」

The correction makes sense. It’s perfectly logical. At the time, I didn’t think “that dog was cute.” It’s also absolutely not how we do it in English. https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/65854/past-or-present-tense-in-sentences-regarding-thoughts

I’ve been googling around and it seems present dictionary form is generally how you do it when recounting things that you thought in the past (with omou in the appropriate past tense). Anyone ever “thought” about this before? Any articles on point?

9 Likes

You probably found this in your googling around, but in case you didn’t, it’s generally called “the sequence of tenses.” I don’t know enough about Japanese to say anything about how it works there, but I know that it varies between languages, and I believe most western languages involve moving the verbs in the dependent clauses into past tenses.

Edit: I should say, under the right conditions they move into past tenses. Again, it depends on the language when things shift.

7 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for. Very interesting! Thanks.

1 Like

Today was the first time I read a sentence and understood the SENTENCE, not the words making up the sentence.

Motivation+3

3 Likes

おめでとう!:champagne::+1::partying_face::tada::confetti_ball:

1 Like

May I suggest the title “Remembrance of Things Past” for this thread?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.