Things not to do when studying with WaniKani

I cant imagine getting a 98% on a third of that number of reviews :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

I’m still at level 5, can’t imagine the pain if i don’t do reviews for a week at your level tho xD

thats one big screen you got there :slight_smile:

Perhaps you can try to take some time thinking berfore answering? I’d probably got only around 75% if i’d spend only an hour instead of two… or maybe almost three. Just don’t rush it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Watch chinese variety shows.

Started typing in the chinese reading (sadly not the expected 音読み) for some items. :person_facepalming:

2 Likes

Here’s the reviews I currently have scheduled for the next week (or next six days anyway).

Note that Wednesday and Thursday went up from 270/207 to 322/246 since my earlier post. Those numbers always go up over time due to doing lessons and Apprentice reviews, and likewise, that means that even the final number of reviews shown for the upcoming day the night before (322 in this case) is far less than the actual number of reviews I’ll be doing that day.

For comparison, the actual number of reviews I did over the last week is 2406, an average of 343 reviews per day! Of course, if I were to take a week off and stop doing any lessons or reviews, those numbers wouldn’t be as high because there’s no new items, no doing multiple reviews for apprentice items or items I missed, etc. So if I were to completely ignore Wanikani for six days, I’d come back to only 1236 reviews, as shown in the screenshot.

2 Likes

Don’t let the uncertainty of the pandemic knock you off your feet, sending you into a months-long pattern of not doing your damn reviews or learning many new kanji (or honestly learning much grammar, either). 0/10 would not do again

3 Likes

How RUDE

I use Arch with ibus. The ibus plugin I use for typing Japanese is Google’s mozc.

If you have time to kill, then you should really try Arch. You’ll learn a lot of invaluable sysadmin skills, even if you eventually hate it and uninstall :slight_smile: (My flock of machines are a mixture of Fedora and Arch).

4 Likes

I couldn’t get ibus to work under Sway (i.e. Wayland), but fcitx with mozc works at least in Firefox, which is enough for me for now. For my config, search for the mentions of “fcitx” in this file.

(Cave-at: There’s a bug in that as well. The startup script is starting fcitx before Sway itself, so it doesn’t set itself up properly. I have to rerun fcitx -r after login to make it work. Should be simple to fix, but I’m lazy.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.