These last 2,684 days went by fast

First visit to Japan: June 2016
Signed up for WaniKani: August 2016
Lifetime subscription purchase: December 2016
Level 60: December…2023

Several times I took several month long breaks, and I must’ve restarted about 5 times (not always back to level 1 but about 20-25 levels back from wherever I was at the time). The biggest hurdle to overcome was just lack of motivation as I knew that most of levels 50-60 are words and kanji my N3 level ass is never going to need or remember. But it’s a great feeling to finally reach the mountaintop.

45 Likes

Well done!

I think you were right to push for level 60 anyway, while the kanji post level ~40 become increasingly uncommon, they’re still common enough that I encounter many of them even in casual reading. Just yesterday I had to look up 智 (level 56) become it came up in a game I’m playing.

4 Likes

Great work!

2 Likes

Welcome to the mountaintop! It’s always there for everyone, no matter how long it takes, whether it be 353 days or 2,684! Everyone deserves cake, so congratulations!

cakechop

-Nick at WK

5 Likes

Awesome!!!

Nice to meet someone who believes that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

3 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Congrats! Weirdly my first ever trip to Japan was June 2016 as well, can’t believe how quick time has gone, glad to see you made it to 60, gives me some inspiration and motivation to get through the rest of the levels🙏