There should be an option to change the kanji font (revived)

Previous topic was here, There should be an option to change the kanji font but it got closed because of no replies in a pretty long period.

However, I agree with this topic and the Jitai script, suggested in the only reply, only covers kanji fonts during review. I’d just like to set a site-wide font. Right now, the favored font seems to be “Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro”, but, why not give us an option to set a font we like? No harm done if we make it a font that doesn’t exist. And no userscript needed either.

Please think about it.

3 Likes

You could set the fonts in your browser settings. In chrome there is the “advanced fonts settings” extension (but by Google itself), I think it can override any setting by a website.

Ok, but isn’t that an override for all sites though?

You can at least specify the text language. Will check in a bit.

On Chrome you can change the setting per language and the font family. So if you go to different pages in Japanese you might not get what you want.

Another idea would be a style manager browser extension like Stylish or Stylus that can modify CSS (it’s a “Tampermonkey for styles”), with that it is easy to set everything up in the way you want on a per page basis.

I wrote this userscript last year while working on a project.

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Wanikani Hiragino Font
// @namespace    rfindley
// @version      1.0
// @description  Display Hiragino font on Wanikani
// @author       Robin Findley
// @match        https://www.wanikani.com/*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    var css = '[lang="ja"] {font-family: ".Hiragino Kaku Gothic Interface W5 Medium"; font-weight:100;}';
    $('head').append('<style type="text/css">'+css+'</style>');
})();

Just change it to the font you want to use.
(Even though this actually uses Hiragino, you may need to adjust the font name slightly, because I installed Hiragino in an unusual way on my system)

2 Likes

Oh if it ain’t @rfindley, to the rescue again! :smile:

Thanks! Going to test it as soon as I get back behind my desktop.

Just wanted to add my voice to this.

One thing I’ve noticed as I’ve gotten further and further into Wanikani (I’m level 38) is the comparative difficulty that I have with handwritten kanji compared to the simple blocky kanji that Wanikani uses. The difficulty is that I mostly can’t recognize or read handwritten kanji even though I’m often familiar with the kanji in the wanikani style writing. I can mostly wing kanji when it’s written in a different but relatively similar style to wanikani (as in is stylized but not traditional). I feel like being able to see it handwritten would make a vast improvement in my ability to read the many different fonts I come across as many are “stylized” versions of the handwritten text, which is fairly different from the Wanikani style to start with, making it look alien to me.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.