Participation Poll
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ve already read this chapter
  • I won’t be reading this week, but I’m planning to catch up later
  • I just like polls

0 voters

5 Likes

Just read the chapter - another fun one

One sentence confused me initially but it got straightened out later; will put it here with an explanation in case anyone else was similarly confused:

Page 12

運転席から「お前 この車山捨ててこい」鍵渡すポーズ…
^ This is the sentence that had me confused. Mainly because there’s like no particles in there. Had no idea what 山 was referring to - until I realised there was probably a missing に (meaning that they’re going to throw it away in the mountains)

5 Likes

Hi, I’m joining super late, but when I saw the manga, I really wanted to read it. I’ll try to catch up with all of you. I was wondering if you will continue on with the the other volumes after this one?
thanks

3 Likes

I love the dance class. :joy:

page 11

Tatu says: 組長に木刀 で派手にど突かれた後のポーズ … !

My interpretation: “after-being-showily-stabbed-twice-with-a-wooden-sword-by-your-yakuza-boss pose … !”

Did anyone get something different from that? And also does anyone know what this references? Some kind of yakuza punishment?

Time to continue reading the yoga class. The vocab list would be pretty helpful about now …

@Wildjinjer Were you able to fix the vocab sheet so we can fill it in? Another option could be to continue using the old spreadsheet, just adding more pages. I think the Yotuba club does it that way.

5 Likes

Welcome to the club! :blush: Feel free to ask questions in the previous threads if you need a little help as you’re catching up!

I’m not sure if anyone knows how far we’ll read as a group … I think it just depends on if there are enough people who want to keep going and are willing to keep up with the logistical aspect of a book club. It’ll probably become clearer the further we get into this volume.

3 Likes
pg 11

That’s how I interpreted that line too

I can’t answer your other question though, a lot of the yakuza-specific references go over my head in this lol, but I also initially figured it was some sort of yakuza punishment? Except now I’m trying to look up if it’s something specific but basically all that’s coming up is a wooden sword from the Yakuza games. So it might just be Tatsu referencing something that happened to him

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

2 Likes

I’m hoping the vocab sheet gets fixed soon so we can add to it, but for now I’ve written down some of the vocab to post here. It’s definitely not everything, just what I looked up and could find an answer for

Vocab :-)
Kanji Kana Meaning Page Notes
週一 しゅういち once a week 6 short for 週一回
キャンペーン promotion; marketing campaign 6
無料体験 むりょうたいけん free trial 6
リズミカル rhythmical; well-paced 8
木刀 ぼくとう wooden sword 11
すき spade; plow 11
指詰める ゆびつめる to do the yakuza finger-cutting ritual 12 jisho only shows an entry for 指詰め, but I assume 指詰める is the verb form of that word. also means to jam your finger in a door
覚悟を決める かくごをきめる to prepare oneself (for the worst) 12
たま bullet 12
はだ skin 13
肌に合う はだにあう to be compatible; to get along well 13
汗を流す あせをながす to work hard 13
以来 いらい since; henceforth 13
縛る しぼる to tie 16
埋める うめる to bury 16
なり or 16
沈める しずめる to sink; to submerge 16

When it’s able to be edited I’ll transfer this to the Week 1 spreadsheet

Also, a question about page 13:

So Tatsu says: 昔 事務所にダンプ突っ込んできて以来やなぁ…
I’m a little confused what he means by this, mostly because I’m not sure of which meaning of 突っ込む this is (jisho lists a bunch).

My best guess is something like:
“It’s been a long time since I went and [ダンプ(を?)突っ込む] at the office.”

Other than the missing part of that translation, does that seem about right? And does anybody know what ダンプを突っ込む would mean?

6 Likes
Page 13

So looking in dictionaries all I can see for ダンプ is “dump truck”. It’s also worth pointing out that that’s the second half of the sentence started in the speech bubble:
「こんだけ汗流しは」
こんだけ - to this extent/this much
汗 - sweat
流し - ます stem of 流す I believe - not sure exactly why it’s the stem though
then let’s look at the rest of the sentence:
「昔 事務所にダンプ突っ込んできて以来やなぁ…」
Think this should be somewhat more straightfoward now that we know what the topic is (making him sweat to that extent) and that ダンプ means dumptruck. Another thing worth noting is that 突っ込む is in て form with きて after it, implying that it came towards the speaker while doing the action of 突っ込むing
With all that in mind I’d hazard that it means (and I’ll caution that this is a very loose translation) something along the lines of “I haven’t sweat that much since a dumptruck came crashing into the office”

5 Likes
Apparently that’s something that Yakuza do…

Tokyo: Dump truck rams yakuza office in Adachi

6 Likes

Done!

@meagstudies Thanks for the vocab list! It was especially nice for the last page, to be able to read the punchline with even a little bit of speed. :joy:

I enjoyed the yoga poses, and Tatu’s massive over reaction to walking into the women’s locker room, but the dance class was definitely my favorite part of this chapter!

4 Likes

Uh… Yes, I have finally done this.
:scream::pleading_face::tired_face::poop:

3 Likes

I interpret the にど part differently:

派手に flamboyantly
ど~ a prefix that strengthens the following word.
http://static.kansaibenkyou.net/node/312

3 Likes

Thank you! Sorry!!
I have saved all of these words to the vocabulary sheet, which is now editable!

3 Likes

The verb stem is a noun, and can be used in the grammatical position of a noun (i.e. as the topic of the sentence). In fact, I’d say the noun is 汗流し。

I interpreted that sentence the exact same way. It’s a weird thing to happen, but this is 龍。

2 Likes

That’s the conclusion I came to as well - though I don’t really know how to translate 派手 in either case. I’m just not sure how you hit someone with a wooden sword “flamboyantly”.

In monolingual dictionaries, the meaning seems to be focused on being exaggerated and/or attention-grabbing, so maybe it’s not really translatable as an adverb, and it’s more to convey the boss makes a show of it (presumably in front of other people, to drive the point home that others shouldn’t be the dumbass you are, basically)?

I’m basically pulling that one out of my ass, though.

4 Likes

@Wildjinjer Interesting … You’re right, 派手に would be the adverb … On the page you linked, though, I didn’t see any examples of ど prefixing a verb, only nouns and adjectives. I’m hesitant to assume that it could prefix a verb, but I don’t have any alternative option, so perhaps I’m just being overly conservative …

@yamitenshi Dictionary.goo.ne.jp has a definition of 派手 as 行動などが大げさなこと。and shows an example use of 派手な with 殴り合い → fist fight. In this case I feel like a 派手な殴り合い might be a fight between people who are making a big show about it (like you said). But my thought was that it’s not necessarily with an audience, they could just be being really macho, acting extra tough, or making a big point of punching the other person for specific reasons, if that make sense. So Tatu’s old boss was maybe making a big point about stabbing Tatu as a punishment for something he did wrong. Again very similar to what you said, but just not drawing any conclusions about the existence or lack of an audience.

So then I google image searched 派手な殴り合い and found this article: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/8286ec814d0b9a7cbe3d9d0562e997dff6a9eebe , which uses the phrase ド派手な勝ち方 (NB using the ど prefix!) in the headline. I’m thinking that the use of 派手 in Japanese might be one of those things that you just have to figure out as you go. It does seem fairly untranslatable, as you said.

Sorry for being so rambly!

Edit to add: Orrrr ド派手 = very cheesy; very flashy; extremely gaudy​, according to jisho. I give up.

3 Likes

That’s just the superlative of the normal meanings of 派手, isn’t it?

What you’re describing makes a lot of sense, especially with the example. I guess it just implies that whatever comes next is loud, big, exaggerated, colourful, that sort of thing - doesn’t really matter what quality it has, as long as it’s a bit over the top. Goo makes that a little bit clearer than what I’ve seen, which does include things like “行動などが、大げさで目だつこと” but that once again explicitly mentions drawing attention (and the example give is 派手に散財する, which makes sense in that context - spending a lot of money to show off).

Jisho’s translations for vague terms like ド派手 can be a bit lacking at times (actually, not just Jisho’s, but translations in general). But it’s possible that in most cases it’d mean “very cheesy”, etc. - but not necessarily.

Monolingual dictionaries don’t seem to have a separate entry for ド派手 at least, so that implies to me that the meaning of 派手 doesn’t change in that construction, and it really is just the prefix ど in front of it, for which Goo says:

まさにそれに相当するものであることを強調する。

Or it could be used to indicate derision from the author’s perspective:

ののしり卑しめる意をより強く表す。

But that doesn’t make much sense in this context, I guess. I do think in this case it means “flashy”, as in he’s preparing a killer technique for a very flashy win. Not sure how common showboating is in MMA but it doesn’t seem exceedingly unlikely at least - there’s the infamous case of that one guy who got knocked out while doing a little dance mid-fight for instance :smile:

4 Likes

I noticed that, too.
This page also specifies that it prefixes nouns and adjectives:
http://www.romajidesu.com/dictionary/meaning-of-ど.html

I feel like I’ve come across it prefixing a verb before, though. I’ll look out for it.

3 Likes

Interestingly enough, Goo does only mention it attaches to nouns and adjectives: どの意味 - goo国語辞書

(it’s the bottom entry)

And considering ど突く gets its own dictionary entry, maybe it’s not quite the same thing? ど突く(どづく)の意味 - goo国語辞書
Not sure about that though

4 Likes