The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!

The Original Post created by @Aikibujin, was archived.
This is now a pinned wiki! Thanks, @viet. :slight_smile:

The following is a list of Japanese resources gathered by the WaniKani community. This is a collaborative wiki post that anyone can edit, if there’s a resource you feel is missing from the list, please add it.

The vast majority of these are free. The one’s that aren’t we’ve marked with a ( $ ). The reason they are included is because they come highly recommended and are used by a lot of people (with the exception of the audio courses at the bottom.)

Table of Contents

💮 KANA

Taking your first step in your Japanese learning journey.

📚 TEXTBOOKS AND GRAMMAR

These all teach you grammar. WaniKani does not teach grammar, if you want to learn it’s recommended that you use one of these resources ~30 minutes a day when you reach level 10.

Online:

Paid online:

Physical textbooks:
These are available from Amazon, the links are to the official sites.

You will see Genki and Minna no Nihongo as the most prominent recommendation. These textbooks are commonly used in classroom situations. As a community, we usually recommend the online textbooks to self learners, learning Japanese on their own accord.

References:

㊙️ KANJI

“Learning kanji is hard.”

WaniKani community resources:

• KaniWani WaniKani reverse vocab EN–>JP, based on WaniKani API
  • KameSame WaniKani reverse vocab EN->JP using Japanese Keyboard Layout, based on WaniKani API.
  • WaniKani beyond Lv 60
  • JLPT Vocabulary vs WaniKani Google spreadsheet format. Created by script. If you are good, you can import it into Anki. --> Original thread
  • WaniConjugation - conjugate verbs and adjective by level, translate, or view the conjugations
  • Learning Kanji - Youtube channel. Goes through Kanji by Grade level, showing and explaining stroke order, giving examples of words that use it along with pronunciation. Also goes through various tests (such as the JLPT), breaking down the questions and correct answers. Mostly in easy Japanese, some English.

📘 ONLINE DICTIONARIES

Japanese to English:

Japanese to Japanese:

Alternate dictionaries:

📓 GENERAL PRACTICE

• J-CAT - Take the practice J-CAT to see where you need to improve. Good prerequisite to the JLPT.
  • LearnWithOliver - online flashcards for words and sentences (free and premium)
  • Mondly $
  • HiNative - for asking questions, getting translations, etc from Native speakers
  • iKnow $ - Smart.fm

Kitsun (paid to use):

Anki decks:

Memrise courses:

🇯🇵 RESOURCE PORTALS AND LEARNING NETWORKS

📱 SOFTWARE

• Human Japanese Teaching kana, some kanji, culture/geography, beautiful pictures, audio conversations, vocabulary, quizzes. Available as physical CDs, downloads, app or PC.
  • Duolingo Beta
  • Kakitai is a Windows 10/8.1 app for learning kanji by writing. (Tablet and pen recommended.)
  • KanjiTomo identifies Japanese characters from images.

Browser extensions:
“Translate Japanese words by hovering over them.”

• Rikaichan browser-based Japanese word search functionality for Firefox
  • Rikaikun Chrome port
  • Rikaigu - a variation of Rikaikun for Chrome with different/improved features
  • Rikaisama Firefox deluxe version (no longer supported)
  • Yomichan alternate version, includes audio
  • Safarikai Safari version
  • Kitsune a Firefox IME

Input Method Editor (IME):
Type in Japanese!

Android and iOS apps:

Android apps:

iOS apps:

Japanese Learning Games:

👀 READING

Learning:

• Japanese Graded Readers - $ Full furigana, so you don’t even need to know the Kanji. However, the instruction says – do not use a dictionary. Lv 0 -Beginner, Lv 1 - N5, Lv 2 - N4, Lv 3 - N3, Lv 4 -N2
  • Satori Reader free/$ - A series of articles with grammatical explanation on every sentences, plus you can ask moderators for more explanation. Freemium.
  • Japanese the Manga Way
  • NHK Easy - Simplified for Japanese children and Japanese language learners. Reddit provides articles translations, just be warned that the translations are done by other learners.
  • Natsume Souseki Works - Digital chapters of Souseki’s novels. Words have translation on hover and there is also audio.
  • Matcha Travel Magazine - A web magazine specialized in information for foreign visitors to Japan. You can change the language to やさしい日本語 for easier reading.
  • Watanoc - A free web magazine written in easy Japanese. Designed for all Japanese learners from Beginners to Intermediates. Has audio for their articles.

Children’s Books:

みらい文庫
  • Visit Site
    Elementary and middle school level reading. Books are also available on Amazon.jp by searching 集英社みらい文庫
青い鳥文庫
  • Visit Site
    Light novels in four levels from beginning of elementary to upper middle school. Full, or almost full furigana use.
角川つばさ文庫
  • Visit Site
    Light novels on elementary and middle school levels. Offers feathers to rate difficulty. Full, or almost full furigana use.
福娘童話集 (Folklore and Stories for Japanese Children)
  • Visit Site
    The site is a little cluttered, but the content is good. They offer online folklore stories for children and the texts have low level kanji. Most stories also have a narration provided by a native speaker. The narration pace is slow enough that it is good for beginning listeners and you can of course check your listening with the script.

News:

Manga:

• Free Online:
  • Places to buy:

Websites and Blogs:

Nippon Talk
  • Visit Site - Provides articles “written by a native speaker” and includes English transcripts and furigana.
B! Hatena Bookmark
  • Visit Site
    This is a strictly Japanese site that is a hub that can help you find other sites in your interest area. At the core, it provides a service that lets you save and share pages to view later. The home page provides a list of popular and recent articles all from other sites you can checkout. There are many topics like games, technology, news, travel, etc.
    Example: Check out エリアガイド in the footer to find interesting regional specific travel sights and events.
4Gamer
  • Visit Site
    Nothing out of the ordinary here. A Japanese site to read about video games and game news.
Livedoor
  • Visit Site
    The Livedoor main site provides articles from both news sites and blogs. This is a regular Japanese site.

Youtube:

👂 LISTENING

Free Online:

• Erin’s Challenge - This site has good content so don’t be deterred by the dated interface. The interface is in English and provides video skits of native speakers with the option to turn on English, romaji, hiragana or full kanji subtitles. They offer both Basic skits and Advanced skits and the speakers speak clearly but fast. A good source to really tune your ear better.
  • Japanesepod 101 - Free / $
  • Wasabi Read-Aloud - The read-aloud section has narrated short stories and podcasts with scripts and translations. Has option to adjust the narration speed.
  • Delvin - Delvin combines listening exercises with adaptive vocabulary review, fueled by clips from real videos.

Podcasts:

• バイリンガルニュース :green_apple: :satellite:
    News show hosted by an English and a Japanese speaker. They each speak in their own language.

• ひいきびいき :green_apple: :satellite:
    Two presenters discuss their current favourite things in a casual style. Topics cover a wide range - from curry to studying to newly released game consoles.

• そこあに :green_apple: :satellite:
    Anime themed podcast

• 荻上チキ・Session-22
    Interviews and reports on current events and issues. Called by some the “This American Life” of Japan (not quite).

• The Lifestyle Museum :green_apple: :satellite:
    Hosted by Peter Barakan, this show has short 30-minute interviews with artists, writers, world whistling champions (?) and everything in between.

• ラジオ版 学問ノススメ
    Similar to “The Lifestyle Museum”, but with longer interviews and a more in-depth cover of issues. Guests in this show include more poets, novelists, philosophers, etc.

• Rebuild.fm :green_apple: :satellite:
    Tech show hosted by programmer Tatsuhiko Miyagawa, of CPAN fame. Shows are long (1~2 hour) unstructured conversations with friends and colleagues about recent issues in tech.

Paid audio courses:

YouTube:

• Nihongonomori Japan Learn japanese grammar with native speakers. Starts at very beginner level.
  • Lets Learn Japanese Narrated in English, but does skits of native Japanese. There are transcripts and vocab provided in PDF’s in the video info. Listening is good, however, scripts are in romaji.
  • Japanese Ammo with Misa Learn Japanese from a native. Offers a wide selection of topics and subjects.
  • toco toco TV Interviews with artists (game directors, mangaka, comedians) who talk about their work and offer a guide to their local area. Later videos have English subs.
  • トップランキング and 電撃ランキング Ranking channels. Huge variety of topics but each features the top ten style familiar to viewers of Watch Mojo etc making them easy to dip in and out of.
  • jstsciencechannel Videos with scientific themes.
  • 三本塾Sambon Juku Videos in easy to understand Japanese explaining various grammar points from various levels, such as the difference between は and が. JLPT 3 to 1 each have a playlist. Also general talk videos on specific topics.

✒️ WRITING

Practice:

🗣️ SPEAKING

Online resources:

Paid resources:

🎓 TESTS

For more detailed descriptions of the tests please refer to this thread.

• JLPT - The standard Japanese proficiency test
  • J-CAT - A short computerized adaptive tests
  • J-Test - All around proficiency test offered in East Asia
  • Kanji Kentei - A kanji proficiency test
  • A Real Me Vocab Test - Online test covering vocab only

⛩️ CULTURE

Blogs:

Tofugu
  • Visit Site
    General culture and language blog. The people behind Tofugu are also the creators of Wanikani and Textfugu. Their culture blog has a lot of interesting articles about quirky things in Japan as well as a number of helpful language articles.
What Japan Thinks
  • Visit Site
    A general culture blog. This site has articles related to Japanese culture and more uniquely random statistics and surveys about Japanese people.
Metropolis
  • Visit Site
    Metropolis is an online magazine which focuses on “upcoming events and exhibitions.” There are many features about art, music, bars and festivals.
Nihon Shock
  • Visit Site
    An English blog that has articles on travel destinations as well as some language learning articles.
Japanese Rule of 7
  • Visit Site
    A blog about life in Japan, working in Japan, and learning Japanese.

YouTube:

Cultural Comparisons & Japanese Reaction Channels
  • Bobbyjudo - He is in American living in Japan and does a lot of videos in Japanese targeted to Japanese People. He does some teaching English and answers Japanese questions about culture in other countries. He also likes to discuss different words and phrases and between English and Japanese.
  • PDR - A half British/ Japanese narrator. Among other things some interesting playlists are, “Being Biracial in Japan” and “Convenience Store Stories.” The videos are in Japanese, but you can turn on English subtitles. The videos are funny and the narration is good.
  • Rachel and Jun - Narrated by a Japanese/American couple. They have a lot of videos about culture differences and there is a lot to learn. The narration is good and the videos are amusing.
  • That Japanese Man Yuta - Yuta, a native Japanese man, goes around Japan interviewing Japanese people on certain topics. Narrated in English, but interviewees in Japanese.
Life in Japan Channels
  • Micaela - Life in Southern Japan. Narrated in English. The experience of a Canadian girl who moved to Fukuoka Prefecture. Good narration and nice video shots of Japan.
  • QuickRhino - Has a “Life in Japan” playlist. This guy is a study abroad student living in Tokyo. His videos are him talking into the camera and discussing his personal experiences which is a lot of his blunders while living in Japan.
  • Sharla in Japan / Sharmander - Follows a girl who lived in Japan for 10 years. She does videos in both Japanese and English, with either subtitles. The narration is good the the videos have a lot of good shots of the shops, food and places. She does “Day in My Life in Japan” and “Getting to Japan,” which she explains how you can study and live in Japan. Sharmander is her more general station which still has videos on Japan but all in English.
  • Strawberry Mochi - The videos are in English and follow an English teacher living in Japan. Her “Travel and Hotspots” playlist has a lot of interesting tourist places and festivals with good shots of the area. These have good information for travelling and she narrates on information and history. She also has more personal playlists such as “Tips and Stories” and “Culture.”
  • Taylor R - Canadian native living in Tokyo. The videos in English. She does a lot on her personal lifestyle like workout, clothes and products and cooking. The videos and narration are good.
  • Eurodias - A British high school student’s life in Japan.
  • Gimmeaflakeman - Vlogs about life in Japan from the perspective of an American family man who has lived in the country for 25 years.
  • Tokidoki Traveller - An Australian girl vlogging about her Tokyo city life.
  • Tomoko Tomoko - Improvised Japanese lessons, cultural comparisons, and yoga videos.
  • Texan in Tokyo - Vlogs following a Texan living in Tokyo with her Japanese husband. Hilarious, cute, and amazing videos on Japanese culture and the couple’s life in Tokyo. No longer active due to plans of starting a family.
  • Ericsurf6 - An older man living in Japan with his Japanese family. Vlogs about food, Eric Meal Time, his travels, and other activities.

Japanese News (in English):

Other:

• Niconico - Video site for anime style music and video games. Seems to be most popular for anime music. Community is in Japanese and has some Japanese tags and titles

🚅 Additional resource sites:

✈️ Immigrating to Japan:

:tofugu: A similar list compiled by Koichi from Tofugu:

Cheers!

PS: Some of the links may be outdated, if you find any please make a post telling us about it.

297 Likes
Does anyone know any good ways to passively learn Japanese?
Is WaniKani alone enough to learn to read Japanese?
A thread for people who've reset their level to 1
How did you learn Japanese?
How to study
What are the best supplementary resources for WaniKani? What about after WaniKani?
Resources for complete beginner
Bunpro as a supplement to WaniKani
The "Ohayou" app problem with iOs 11
My Japanese Journey so far - (Advice Please!) - Beginner
Grammar sites
What are some good steps for me to take as a beginner
Hello! Can you help me?
Konbanwa bums!
Learning Hiragana/Katakana words
How do/did you learn Japanese?
Small story and Various questions about Japanese learning
Still learning Kana, what resource do you use?
Typing Readings
Typing Readings
Internet sites
What can I do while I wait for WK to speed up a bit?
Where should I go from here
Learning fast
Learning fast
How to Study Grammar?
Aria the Masterpiece Home Thread (Beginner Book Club / Aria Book Club)
Q's about Japanese
Unofficial FAQ
Bought a Kindle - which dictionary to buy? [SOLVED]
Newbie here, excited to learn!
What are you able to do at your level?
Trial Period Graduation
Any Tips for Structuring Grammar Learning?
Hello I need advices to learn kanji
Noob in need!
"Exam" every ten levels
Hello everyone! Brand new & curious! Lvl 1 lingering
Hello everyone! Brand new & curious! Lvl 1 lingering
Wanikani is just not useful enough, but could be
With just Wanikani how good will you be?
Websites or audio for Japanese sentence/grammar practice - any good resources out there?
I need some help with how to really use this thing
Where has your WaniKani journey taken you?
文プロ(Bunpro) : (New Grammar Points!) Japanese Grammar SRS Study Site
Help! Is it here where I can get help?
After 26 lessons
How to unlock lessons and other things
How do you handle a bad review, and what do you do to complement your WK work?
Hello, I need some help if you don't mind 😇
Created the account months ago, but only now started to use it
Can you recommend other japanese learning resources
Tips for beginners
Need a little help
Struggling to retain grammar
New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]
What should my goal be with WaniKani?
I could use some suggestions to review on my level?
I could use some suggestions to review on my level?
WaniKani vocab vs Core 10k vs Expansion Pack
Getting the most out of vocabulary lessons
Supplemental Learning Material
Supplemental Learning Material
Other Resources
Help, Please!
Hi. I am new on WaniKani
Hi. I am new on WaniKani
Hi. I am new on WaniKani
How Long to Learn all 2000--help moving faster
What is your average score? Does it affect your mood?
Can I do something with the example sentences?
WK Expansion Pack (Anki Deck) Issue
時をかける少女: Week 1 Discussion (Chapter 1)
Questions I Have
Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh that review timer is murder
Help with learning Japanese?
Am I missing out on something?
Just a couple questions about this website
Other Language Learning Apps
Community Checklist! - Ideas For a New Newbie Checklist/Guide
Best Anki Japanese Decks?
When to start learning grammar?
Advice for us low-levels?
Who Has Reached Higher Levels with no Scripts? Raise Your Hands
Organizing and limits of Wanikani
Heyo WK! I’m in the boat, on the edge, and straddling the line
Struggling to find good grammar resources
Do you have to speak words borrowed from English as if you're using katakana?
Hello Everyone! Quick Question
Podcasts for absolute beginner
Review/Lesson drought periods
Struggling to stay motivated- how have you kept going?
Hiragana and Katakana only Vocab from the Core 6K deck in Memrise!
こんにちは, this is exciting!
WaniKani together with TextFugu
Any decent free resources as alternates for Genki?
Suggestions needed for N2 Grammar and Vocabulary
What do I do when there are 0 lessons for me?
Study Help
Script Error with hinekidori's Complete 10k Anki list
Level 10 - Yay! First Post
New Here - Any tips?
New Here - Any tips?
How to Understand context
Do any websites exist that tell you if a japanese sentence is correct grammatically?
WaniKani help with JPLT?
Beginner Resources for Grammar, Reading and Writing
Level 1 is excruciating
Level 7! I love WaniKani, but ... tips ... other apps?
Question about alternate sources
Finished level 3, what to do until I get membership?
The basics of WaniKani
Is there any kanji to radical converter online tool or app is there?
Free WaniKani substitutes?
Coming from other study resources, can I skip levels on WK?
Usefull resources for begginers
Do you know any Japanese website for beginners?
Lifetime subscription without lessons?
Japanese Learning Resources
I am new and (somewhat) helpless
Any way to speed things up...?
Having a few issues in regards to grammar, some help\advice\even just conversation would be great
Having a few issues in regards to grammar, some help\advice\even just conversation would be great
Help On Japanese Resources and Studying
Newcomer from SC, suggestions welcomed!
Tips for remembering and recollecting vocabulary words
What else should I do to learn Japanese effectively?
My frustration with the system
Requesting recommendation for J->J dictionary app and/or website
New to WaniKani. Any tips to learning the new Kanji?
EtoEto is not available yet?
Hello, any thoughts?
Looking for Japanese Immersion Material!
Listening practice app / site?
Podcasts for listening practice
Reading Practice Resources
Podcasts for listening practice
Are there incorrect vocab words on WK? How best to supplement vocab with other sources?
No Pirlo, no party; no 男女, no... dancing?
App or website for Japanese grammar structures
App or website for Japanese grammar structures
Newby here
Learning conversational Japanese and grammar... Slowly
Finished TextFugu, what now?
Workbooks/textbooks for beginners?
Looking for podcasts
Helpful apps to practice with? [Android]
Helpful apps to practice with? [Android]
How much has WaniKani helped you in learning to speak Japanese?
Anything super useful to know when beginning?
こんにちは from new user!
Genki Study Buddies - 「皆さんはGenkiを勉強しています」
Anyone doing / did AJATT?
文プロ(Bunpro) : (New Grammar Points!) Japanese Grammar SRS Study Site
What is good to use alongside WaniKani?
What are some vocabulary everyone should know that isn't taught here in WK?
Hello, new user Brook, looking for Japanese to listen to
Worth the money?
Kana only vocab deck?
Unsure, and looking for help!
Which reading to use for kanji
Efficient use of Japanese study time?
If only I hadn't .. (forward looking)
Started five years ago... coming back finally
What will you recommend for learning Japanese grammar?
What are some of the best resources to learn Japanese?
The logic behind Japanese sentence structure
When should I be looking at multiple learning resources?
Other Grammar Resources
Turn "Additional Japanese Resources" into a Wiki
SRS system should be more flexible
First Time on the Website
First Time on the Website
Speed up my lessons and quiz
Speed up my lessons and quiz
Language tips for the lost
Mistakes you made when you first started learning Japanese
Books to learn Japanese From
Learning Vocab And Working On Other Japanese Skills
Started WaniKani - experience
Suggestions for grammar study?
Grammar/Audio
What other resources should I use other than Wanikani?
Speaking & Grammar
Tfw you're raring to study but this is what wanikani has for you
What other resources should I use other than Wanikani?
Suggestions for grammar study?
Online Japanese reading reasources?
N4-level/upper beginner advice?
Am I on the right track with my plan?
Recommendations for Kinesthetic learners
New Learner, looking for some helpful hints
What are the best supplementary resources for WaniKani? What about after WaniKani?

@Shiawase Are you still editing or can I go ahead and work on the formatting?

3 Likes
How to overcome the existential dread of learning Japanese?
What are the top 3 resources you use besides WaniKani while learning Japanese
Any way to skip some material?

Please go ahead! I was just getting it going. :slight_smile:

Alright, I’ve done all I’m going to do for today. If anyone wants to change anything the light is green.

2 Likes

@polv You might want to check that no new edit has been made before you commit. Just refresh and see if the number of edits has gone up. You overwrote one of my edits before and @hinekidori’s right now

4 Likes

I am really sorry about that. BTW, I have found the way to browse through earlier version anyway.

2 Likes

Fixed the link again. :smile:

2 Likes

Ooh I think I need to fix that link, I was just adding a section while someone was updating, let me see

1 Like

Don’t worry. I can add that back “View earlier versions” --> raw.

Okay I see, thanks ^-^

It would be nice if you wrote reasons (click the add reason thingy over the edit text box) to your edits. I mean, seeing something like “Added a manga section” would be cool.

2 Likes

I love this. Thanks so much for compiling this into one place!

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I just did a small update and it helps to quickly track what it was.

1 Like

Thank you very much for this compilation
It is of great help :smiley:

2 Likes
pinned #15

Added a few myself (and made sure to include edit reason, thanks for mentioning that!)

1 Like

I don’t know where it is, but @BreadstickNinja has at least one Memrise course, I think… Might’ve been a grammar one.
(I haven’t delved into Memrise at all, myself… but I’ve seen it mentioned/linked before…)

For the Youtube section, there was a big list of channels someone made in the past, archived now: https://community.wanikani.com/t/In-Case-Anyone-Needs-Some-Listening-Practice-on-Youtube-a-Megalist-of-Japanese-Youtubers/15216

Maybe a bit extensive to add to this list, but I don’t want to pick which ones to add since I haven’t really watched any of them. :slight_smile: Thought I’d link it though if anyone’s interested

This one: https://www.memrise.com/course/948427/hello-167/
There’s also this one: https://www.memrise.com/course/289975/hello-49/

1 Like

Also @namste gave some good recommendations in the recent JLPT Listening thread for some Japanese Let’s Play people. Not sure if we want to link those, or point to that thread/post…???

I’m thinking of adding an Android App (game) now.

EDIT: Editing done. Not 100% sure if that description is accurate enough for Kanji Connect.

rfindley recommends 80/20Japanese.

It is a paid service.

I also listed some other ones a while ago. I don’t think they are all mentioned here.

I’ll add those that are not listed, if no one objects.