The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

That’s true! I see where you’re coming from. But yeah, in this case, it was something else.

1 Like

までに is “by”, not “until” like まで.

3 Likes

but ‘by’ has the same meaning as until no?

a teacher says “I want this composition delivered by monday”

I didnt now about までに now I can pay more attention if I see it on articles.

Until is continuous, ending at a certain point - I want you to visit my parents until 10PM means you’re gonna go there now (or at a previously established time) and not come back until 10PM.

By is a momentary thing, meaning something happens before a certain point - I want you to visit my parents by 10PM means you’re getting there at 10PM at the latest.

3 Likes

One way you can remember it is that に has a pointing function and tends to mark a specific period or point in time, so here, 〜までに is ‘in the period until ~’, hence ‘by’.

Did typing out that example not make the difference clear? Would you say “from” when using “by”?

“I want this composition delivered until Monday” would be nonsensical.

3 Likes

sorry

not a native english speaker here and I have heard and used that way many times before

“私は日本生まれの日本人ですが、私はまだこれらの曲が大好きです、彼女らはnewアルバムこれらはとてもクールです”

I’m probably just stupid, but this comment just seems nonsensical to me, yet has 87K likes. Is the translation of this not “I am a Japanese person born and raised in Japan, but I still love these songs, their new album is so cool!”? Am I missing an obvious joke or reference or something? :thinking:

1 Like

I must be missing it too because that’s apparently what it is. The rest of the comments aren’t helpful in figuring it out either.

1 Like

Check who posted the comment :slight_smile:

(it looks like it’s the same channel that posted the original song…)

To quote a reply:

まさかの本人w

4 Likes

Ohhh, so it’s somehow a pun on 本人? I saw that it was the artist who posted the comment, which made sense since the comment is pinned, but still didn’t get it (& still don’t think I fully get the whole comment)

Edit: Interesting that this dictionary lists the word as the person HIMself, wonder why that is

I don’t think so, I think that it has so many likes for just a couple reasons:

1. a pinned tweet from the artist is gonna have a lot of likes no matter what

2. It’s funny that they’re complimenting their own song as if they’re just a random person.

I’d translate the feeling I get as something like:

I’m just a humble Japanese person, but I love this! Their NEW album is incredibly cool.

The emphasis on being Japanese is a bit odd, but I think they mean it in the sense of like, they’re not worldly, they’ve just lived in Japan the whole time and don’t know about cool hip bands or something. It sounds to me like the kind of mundane comment some random joe shmo would make on a video, as you noticed, and I think that’s intentional, as a joke. because they aren’t a random joe shmo!
(and they made sure to covertly point out that there’s a new album you can buy!)

With the comment I quoted being like:

wait that’s them lol

本人 and 本 used like that in general is tricky to get used to, but it means like - that (person) itself, in this case like – “it’s them!”

Some people say Japanese doesn’t have sarcasm… I think it’s a good example to contradict that!

Does that make sense?

P.S. to add another comment translation or two:

最近のお気に入りですか?笑

“oh so you just got into them recently? lol”

7 Likes

Ahhh, very good and plausible explanations - does make sense. Thank you!

1 Like

Ahh I totally missed that. :smiley::+1:

Culturally ingrained bias?

BTW, what made you wonder if it was a pun?

1 Like

That was my guess too

I was just trying to make sense of the comment, so in my mind (since @rodan quoted the “まさかの本人w” comment) it at least kinda seemed to make a little bit of sense if the 本人 (since she is the actual artist singing in the video) referring to themselves as 日本人 in the (undercover) comment was a weird pun - after all I didn’t understand even in the slightest why she wrote ““私は日本生まれの日本人ですが”

Yeah, I’ve definitely heard the phrase “here he is! The man himself!” spoken, but I can’t say I’ve ever heard “The woman herself!”.

I remember plenty of times when I don’t quite get a sentence grasping at any possible straws, especially with a word as inexactly translatable as 本人 (though imo that dictionary could do a better at least…)

I was too coy by half with my original answer - I had a lot of trouble too with the comment until I noticed who left it, so that felt like the big eureka moment to me, but there’s plenty of necessary inference and conference besides that!

Which is just to say - online comments are generally a hell of irony and references and outright nonsense, so don’t feel too bad if you can’t piece them together, and I can see and empathize with your thought process under the circumstances!

2 Likes

Is 資源 only used specifically for natural resources? Or can it be used in the context of learning resources, human resources, possessions, etc?

Weblio gives:

1 自然から得る原材料で、産業のもととなる有用物。土地・水・埋蔵鉱物・森林・水産生物など。天然資源。「海洋資源」「地下資源」
2 広く、産業上、利用しうる物資や人材。「人的資源」「観光資源」

Which sounds to me like it’s mainly about natural resources (1), but (2) on top of that it can mean useful resources more generally, as in 人的資源 (a word for human resources) or 観光資源 (a word for tourist attractions).

It seems like it’s more specifically about natural resources used for industry than say, 物資, and I’ve seen 人材 anecdotally more than 人的資源, so the broader meaning might just be by analogy or in certain set phrases like those (I’m not sure).

2 Likes