The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

I always tell beginners not to worry about it. It will work itself out as you gain experience.

Thank you !

Thank you I am trying to learn to vocab I think it helps making connections and speeds up the learning.

In Japan, when you buy something from a store, do you say anything to the cashier after paying? In English I’d say “thanks” and maybe add “have a nice day”, but I wanted to know if people generally say anything similar in Japan/Japanese.

I’m kind of asking because I’d heard it would be weird to say ありがとう, though I don’t remember where I heard that.

There are Japanese people who say that it’s weird to say thank you. I don’t really care, I always say ありがとうございます as they hand me the change or the bag, whichever I receive last.

どうも is an option too.

Why does the title of that novel uses the word “飛空士” and not “飛行士”? Is this a legit word?

It’s not unusual for authors to create words. I don’t see any references to it that aren’t about that series.

Clever kanji combinations seem to be a hallmark of light novels and such.

Another example: 星界(せいかい) is in the title of one of my favorite works of sci-fi, and it’s clearly a play on (ほし) + 世界(せかい).
It’s a pain to type, though; not sure if there’s a better way, but just there I entered ほし, tab, せかい, tab tab enter, arrow left, backspace.
In theory I could add it to the IME’s custom dictionary, but that doesn’t sync when I change computers…

So does “飛空士” means anything special? Like an airship pilot? Or something like this?

Presumably you’d have to read the book to know that. It’s that author’s word.

I started to improve my listening comprehention by reading and shadowing lyrics of “easy” songs. But even if I practiced Tae Kims Guide up to the essential grammar, there are still some phrases I couldn’t unerstand.

Lets start with this one:
残った願いが眩しすぎてつらいや

okey, there is 眩しい. Its an i-adjective. The te-Form of this adjective would be 眩しくて, right? But what the heck is happening here?

Thanks in advance!! You are all so helpful!

~T :lion:

EDIT: I’m not sure if it is a special grammar or a separate word. Sorry if I took the wrong thread

It’s a way of saying “too much”, it’s formed by taking the stem and adding すぎる, so in this case it’s:

眩し --> 眩し (stem) + すぎる --> 眩しすぎ (te-form) --> 眩しすぎて

Here are some sites where you can read up on it if you’re interested:

http://www.punipunijapan.com/japanese-grammar-sugiru/

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/amount#Saying_there8217s_too_much_of_something_using

Thanks a lot!

Okey at the moment I have one more question:

泣いて 腫れた目をして

What is happening here? I mean you cannot “do swollen eye” or so… and using する with an object seems pretty strange to me. (“normal” suru-verbs are just used without an object particle… and I`m pretty sure that eye is not a suru-verb)

をする can be seen pretty often actually and still keeps the same meaning

For example, both 日本語の勉強をする and 日本語を勉強する are fine to say and portray the same meaning

目をする would kinda be like “to have ___ eyes”, so in this case, 泣いて 腫れた目をして is something like “Crying, (and with) swollen eyes[…]”

It’s kinda hard to interpret without the full lyrics so not sure how well my interpretation fits into it :upside_down_face:

する is “to do” or “to make” or a bunch of other things.

You certainly can say “make your eye swollen”.

From A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners

する #8, Nをする item b (outward appearance)

Takes the form of Nをしている or NをしたN. Used to describe things that can be grasped visually, such as color, shape, state, form, appearance, facial expression, etc.

I know you were being a bit facetious, but just to be clear, that would be a different grammar point, if you used する to say it.

Could you please give me two or three example sentences for this grammar point? I’m afraid I do not completely get it. Thanks

Here are some from the same book. Personally, I often hear it in the form of [some adjective]顔をしている, as seen in the last sentence.

きれいな色をしたネクタイをもらった。
I got a beautifully colored necktie.

その建物は三角形のおもしろい形をしている。
That building has an interesting triangular shape.

見舞いに行ったら、かれはとても苦しそうな様子をしていたのでつらかった。
When I went to visit him he seemed to be in pain, so it was hard for me.

それは人間の姿をした神々の物語だ。
This is a story of gods who took on human form.

みすぼらしい恰好をした男が訪ねてきた。
A scruff-looking man came to visit.

この仏像はとてもやさしそうな顔をしている。
This Buddha has a very kind-looking face.

Wondering - is “basically” an acceptable translation for 大体 (daitai)? It would seem with definitions like “generally” and “gist” and even “outline” that "basically is acceptable. But I’m not sure.