The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

Could someone please explain this sentence:
「先生はお仕事いかへんの?」
I know that it means “Teacher, aren’t you going to work?”, but I don’t understand the 仕事いかへ part.

The context is:
朝、母親と登園してきた3歳の女の子に言われた一言です。返す言葉に迷いましたが、思わず笑ってしまう場面でした。
(This is what a three-year-old girl said to me as she came to school with her mother in the morning. I wasn’t sure what to say, but I couldn’t help but laugh at the scene.)

へん is Kansai-ben for ない. So the standard Japanese version would be 先生はお仕事(に)行かないの?

7 Likes

Another similar shortening/alternative form you may come across (which I think is also a form of Kansai-ben, or is related to some kind of Classical Japanese structure) is ない→ん. For example, わからない→わからん. I think the style of shortening you’re supposed to get around Tokyo is わかんない instead.

I believe that one is from old fashioned or classical Japanese.

Abbreviation of ぬ I believe. Just watch out for ん as a contraction of む which is a classical volitional

Plus add な to ん and you’ve got a negative command
Or a positive command
Depending

Japanese why are you like this

2 Likes

Yup. That’s what I was referring to. But it’s also used very informally nowadays, and it’s apparently more common in Kansai, so I was wondering if it might also be a shortening of 〜あへん in this particular case.

Yup. I haven’t seen the ‘positive’ command version though. And for that matter, doesn’t 〜んな usually appear as a contraction of 〜るな? Or are you talking about something else?

Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about. It can also be a contraction of りな, though, which is affirmative. I haven’t seen that much though.

I’m being a bit tongue in cheek though; in practice I don’t have a problem discerning these things. But I think the ぬ/む contraction thing in particular is kind of hilarious, even if only ancient gods use む :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve heard it at all! Guess I might go look for some examples later.

Yeah. But it seems that む has another meaning as a form of a different ancient helper verb. I’ve forgotten which one though. Something related to the past tense/completion aspect.

登る vs。上る

The meaning is the same, and so is the reading, so is there really any difference, which one should one use?

登る = big things like mountains and such
上る = smaller things like stairs or ladders

Bonus:
昇る = things rising, like the sun

2 Likes

@Evanwiggleswade Just to add, 登る tends to have a nuance of effort, so you could use it for stairs if they’re large or require a lot of effort to climb. 昇る tends to involve a sort of smooth rising or ascending, and tends to refer to rising into the sky or to a high place. 上る works for more or less everything else, and is the most general kanji form. I can’t remember any other details (because this was discussed somewhere on these forums quite a while ago), but that’s the general idea.

2 Likes

That should be easy enough to remember, the easier kanji is for the smaller (=easier) things! Thank you!

There’s an OVA titled

Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan , known in Japan as Kishibe Rohan wa Ugokanai (Japanese: 岸辺露伴は動かない, “Rohan Kishibe Does Not Move”)

Is the English translation stylized or is the Japanese a reference to a proverb or metaphor with the same meaning as the English? If so, what’s the reference?

The English title is on the Japanese version cover of the manga, so I think this is probably like Attack on Titan, where the creator chose (or at least approved of) the English title. Rather than it being a translation of the title by some other party.

That said, there may be some reason for it, but there may also be no reason. Maybe the creator just liked the feel of that English title.

1 Like

Could be. It’s definitely better than another English title he came up with, “Diamond is Not Crash,” so I’ll take it.

Presumably the English title is a deliberate reference to Thus Spoke Zarathustra, though whether it’s a reference to the book itself or just its title is another matter.

3 Likes

I found a reddit post mentioning that, but no debates. You seem more familiar with it though. Do you have a link to any arguments or theories or is it just something you personally noticed?

Just something I personally noticed.

1 Like

It’s Nietzsche, so the whole ubermensch thing kinda fits with Jojo, but I don’t think there’s anything definitive from the creator.

Although the concept for both books is a chronicle of the titular character’s journeys.

Fun fact: Propaganda Song from Battle Tendency pulls lyrics straight from Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

What’s the difference between 受ける, もらう & 受け取る? I’ve seen a few English & Hi Native sources online, but I’m not so sure I can trust those…