The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure :blush::sparkles:

Saw this username on youtube. What on God’s flat earth does this mean???

“おい。熱い悪女悪女。寒い死神どこです”

My take: Hey. Hot evil woman evil woman. Where’s the cold death god?

Seems kind of silly to me, but just as a note, 熱い and 寒い can have personality connotations. 熱い for instance, can be passionate or enthusiastic, while 寒い can be dull, uninteresting, distant.

Okay, I have a puzzle I don’t know how to fix.

I was talking with a teacher in the rain, and, through context, I figured out we were talking about the last ALT not having an umbrella and how earlier this year I didn’t have an umbrella. I want to write down the verb she used, but for the life of me I can’t figure out which one it is because we were speaking.

She said 「傘がささない」
At least, I’m pretty sure that’s what she said.
However, I can’t figure out what verb ささない came from/which one was used because there’s a few. Does someone more experienced know?

傘を差す would make sense, but 傘が差す doesn’t work because 差す is transitive in this case.

It makes me think you misheard something.

Maybe? Probably? I honestly got pretty stuck at the whole ささない thing, so I may have misheard how she said the middle part. I know, through context, it was something about not having umbrellas and using rain jackets (which apparently both the last ALT and I did.)

Well, 傘を差さない means “to not hold an umbrella.” So I guess you just misheard the particle.

https://www.weblio.jp/content/差す

手を,上または前のほうに出す。

頭をおおうように傘を持つ。かざす。 「日傘を-・す」

Thanks!! I appreciate the look-up. I couldn’t figure out how to get it down to its stem/kanji, so I appreciate the help. Sorry for my poor listening skills, aha.

ささない has さ before the ない, so you can tell that it is a godan verb (the vowel sound changes for the various conjugations). Ichidan verbs have い or え-based vowel sounds for every conjugation.

So that means it’s さす. Then if you look at the さす verbs in something like Jisho (or any of the English-Japanese dictionaries that you can find for free) they should include the umbrella-holding definition in there.

So I was wondering about saying you like something in Japanese. What I’ve gathered is you use the 好き adjective such as:
私は猫が好きです
But there is also a verb for to like so can you also say
私は猫を好みます
Are both these sentences grammatically correct? How would each translate to English as a Japanese person would understand them?

No. 好き is a na-adjective. There is not a verb that means “I like”.

A translation of the first sentence is:

As for me, cats are likeable.

It is roughly analagous to the spanish usage “mi gusto”.

The dictionary lists 好む as a verb that means “to like, to prefer” but I’m guessing it doesn’t really translate as liking something like we would think in English?

You could do a search for sentences with 好む to see how it is used. I have never seen a construction for “i like” other than the first one, but i am not an expert.

好む is definitely more like “to prefer”. The main definition is

他のものに比べてそれに気を引かれる。

So it gives the impression that you’re comparing the thing you mentioned with something else.

好き does come from a verb, 好く, but people just don’t use the verb anymore.

If you want a verb that can be translated as “like” that people do use pretty often, you can go with 気に入る.

Ok this was super helpful thank you very much! <3

My doubt is about a hiragana transliteration for ビー玉.

Wanikani registers it as びーだま.
Wouldn’t it be びいだま? :thinking:

The acceptance of hiragana for katakana words is just for convenience. It is not meant to be an endorsement of that representation of the word.

ビーだま is the correct way to write it in kana. But the entire system allows hiragana where katakana is used just so people aren’t dinged for something that really isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

I can’t find anything to suggest that びいだま would be acceptable to write ever, but the system can’t accept it even if it sounds the same, because the default includes the ー character, which can stand for any vowel sound, and thus a crude check of it wouldn’t see い as being an acceptable replacement, whereas び is the same as ビ so it is just accepted automatically.

I don’t see much point in adding びいだま as a separate way to enter it, because then that really would be specifically endorsing it.

I see this has been a bit of a lively discussion since I posted my question. Your explanation has been immensely helpful and has been 100% accurate up to my level. Thank you.

As far as this being a “guideline” with more exceptions than application, based off what I have seen here justification behind how these readings originated makes complete sense.

Somewhat anecdotally, look at English. I am pretty sure many patterns and generalities are made just to pile up exceptions to contrast it, primarily in pronunciation. In this case though it probably has more to do with the fact that English was originally a combination of about 3 languages and has only been expanded on as time has progressed.

What is the nuanced difference between 叩く (たたく) and 殴る (なぐる)? The book I’m reading (日常) has a chapter where they seem to be used interchangeably, and I’m not seeing why. I know 叩く has more meanings, but the translations seem to work out all being the same: strike/hit.

Generally, the image of 叩く is that it is open-handed. 殴る is with a fist.