The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

I think I also heard that one before.
According to Takoboto it means “to get into the swing (and sing, dance etc.)”. It was listed as a translation under “乗る”.

Googling “ノレル曲” will suggest searching for “盛り上がる曲” too. In this case 盛り上がる means to get excited or hyped. So I guess it fits the translation kinda ^^

4 Likes

Hello friends, can you be of help?

Which Kanji is correct (or most used, I guess) to describe how old someone is? I have 才 in WK already, but Duolingo uses 歳 and that is coming up for WK as well. Both pronounced the same (さい) and are able to be used as “x years old”. What gives? Is the “genius” one less used?

The strictly ‘correct’ kanji is 歳. I believe 才 is used as a phonetic simplification in Japan because it’s so much easier to write. That’s about it. Neither is wrong, but one is used as shorthand. I’m not sure what to give you as an analogy… OK, for example, the way one writes numbers on cheques in Chinese and Japanese is different from the way one writes them in everyday life: in Japanese, 一 becomes 壱, 二 becomes 弐, 三 becomes 参, 十 becomes 拾 and so on. Characters that are pronounced the same way but written with more strokes are used so they can’t be easily modified for fraudulent purposes. Similarly, I think 歳 should be used in formal contexts, but 才 should be just fine for everyday usage.

4 Likes

The ‘genius’ one can come across more childish, for the reasons @Jonapedia mentioned.

3 Likes

I remember talking to someone about this earlier. Essentially kids use the simpler one and it may be seen more frequently for young ages. Additionally, the simpler one is used informally. The more complicated one is the proper choice though.

1 Like

ありがとうございます!僕は二十八歳ですよ。

3 Likes

どういたしまして!私、三十一歳です!

2 Likes

Can y’all help me out with this? I would like to know what your understanding of this message would be. For context, it’s a message I was planning to send to my local car garage (I think I’m running out of brain power today, so if I have the wrong word, the place where mechanics fix cars).

こんにちは!○○です。ウィパーの(みず)ではありません。ウィパーも問題(もんだい)があります。(いま)ウィパーのゴムは(すこ)()かれます。明日(あした)は○○に()くもいいですか?

Summary

What I’m trying to say is that I’m out of wiper fluid and part of the rubber on the windshield wiper itself has separated (from the metal).

I asked my coworker to check my Japanese and she would only tell me it was wrong but she wouldn’t say what was wrong with it. I used past experience with my wiper fluid being out (I know they call it mizu) and referenced the language in the Wikipedia article on windshield wipers in Japanese along with jisho for “to be separated.” Is the description of it separating too vague to be understood or what? I would’ve sent a picture upon request if they wanted one. So what is the problem? :sweat:

If it was me I would write (keeping with the things you’ve used):

こんにちは。○○です。車の問題はワイパーの水がなくなったこととワイパーのゴムがもうワイパーについていないことなんですが、明日ガレージに行っても大丈夫ですか。

“The problems with my car are that the wiper fluid has run out and the rubber is no longer connected to the wiper… Is it alright to come to the garage tomorrow?”
Probably chuck on a よろしくおねがいします or a 迷惑めいわくをかけてすみません to be extra polite.

A few corrections to your original piece

The word for wiper is ワイパー :slightly_smiling_face:

~~ではありません is the more formal version of ~~じゃない, so this means “it is not the wiper fluid”. For there not to be something is ~~がない

To ask permission for something is ~~てもいい

Hope this helps

3 Likes

@xarde has a really nice version already, but if I were to change some of the words, I would probably write

こんにちは!ちょっと車の問題があります。ワイパー液がなくなりました。さらに、ワイパーのゴムが少し剥がれています。明日見てもらってもいいですか。
I like the よろしくお願いします as well :+1:t3:

I found ワイパー液 as a translation of wiper fluid, but 水 is probably fine too.
剥がれる instead of 分かれる, seems to be the commonly used verb.

3 Likes

Just a quick note, it’s ok to say this in English, but using 来る in this context in Japanese will come across as weird - it sounds like you empathise with the recipient more than you do with yourself, which is kind of absurd.

1 Like

I always mess up 行く and 来る when it comes to stuff like this :expressionless: Thanks for the pickup

1 Like

Thank you! I really need to bash this one into my brain… I get it confused so easily…

I also need to beat this one into my brain…

Thank you for all the corrections! I feel like a bit of an idiot sandwich now seeing exactly how many I made :sweat_smile: Better here than in real life though I suppose.

I like your additions too, thank you for them!

I just know that it was what they said at least 5 times last time and the same person I asked to correct my Japanese insisted on calling it wiper water too instead of wiper fluid in English too. :upside_down_face:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

final takeaway: I can’t differentiate any katakana shaped like フ that has more than one additional stroke

3 Likes

I think this isn’t grammar, so. I was doing some self-study with my textbooks, and was wondering if I’m using the right word for… finishing.

Here’s the sentences I coughed up for an exercise:
このレポートは火曜日までに送らなればなりません。レポートを作るために、たくさん本を読みます。今まだ終わりませんですから、どこも出かけません。

I was wondering if there’s a different word like 完成する or 完了する which would be more appropriate. my gut feeling thinks that 終わる isn’t quite right, that it means that something is completed than a subject is completing something, but my gut feeling doesn’t count for much in a foreign language :sweat_smile:

If there are any other critique of the sentences, I’m very happy to hear them. Thank you!

You can’t have です after ません like that (with the exception of ありませんでした which is a set pattern for negative past tense), so firstly it should be おわりませんので. Then, it needs to be in continuous form because you’re saying that you still haven’t finished it yet, and finally おわる is intransitive so you’d need to use a transitive verb like 終える or 完成する or something like that. Another word for finishing things is できる, which in addition to meaning “be able to” can also mean to finish something.

So one example would be:
(レポートは)まだ終えてないのでどこにも出かけられません。

(I also used the potential form for 出かける because I assumed you meant “I can’t go out” rather than “I will not go out” but that was just a guess)

edit: if you wanted to keep it extra formal with the mid-clause polite ending, it would be something like
まだ終えていませんので、どこにも出かけられません。

2 Likes

Anyone know what dvandva (Linguistics term) is in Japanese??

Seems to be 並列複合語
http://www.manduuka.net/sanskrit/term/termdisp.cgi?no=125

But it looks like a very specialized linguistic term, because when I look for “並列複合語” on google it returns only linguistic papers…

On wikipedia, they don’t really use one word, they say this:
並列関係 - 成分同士が対等の関係にあるものをいう。並列関係にある場合、連濁は起きない。草木・赤白・田畑・尾頭…

2 Likes

As an extra note, using ので after ます・です form makes it extra polite. You’d hear it on a train platform, for example, for something like

電車がすぐ着きますのでご注意ください

or

店長様はちょっと忙しいですので、あとでまた来てください

Thank you! I was expecting it to have a similar origin to the English for no good reason. Only having 1 line about it explains why there’s no Japanese page linked to the English one for dvandva too.

I’ve only heard the English term for it in my (English) Japanese Linguistics class, so I can’t say I’m too surprised that it’s also fairly specialized in Japanese too.

1 Like

I’d just say,

まだ終わっていないから、どこにも出かけません。

phyro is right about it being intransitive, but I think in this context a lot of people would still use 終わる. Like in English you could say “My homework isn’t finished” just as easily as “I haven’t finished my homework.”

2 Likes