The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

I have a hard time translating/understanding this sentence:

パンダのえのタクシーは、ふくおかどうぶつえんに1だいだけあります。

-Watanoc Panda Taxi

From my understanding it means “the Taxi’s drawing of a Panda in Fukuoka Zoo is only one” but I’m really unsure about it. Another guess is “the taxi with a panda drawing in Fukuoka Zoo is only one”. Both google and DeepL are as clueless as I am.

Thanks!

There is only one taxi with a picture of a panda in Fukuoka zoo.
Or maybe more literal: Speaking of the taxi with a picture of a panda, there is only in Fukuoka zoo.

2 Likes

Ok, that validates my second guess as correct. Thank you!

I’m confused with the の usage. ^_^;

In this case, の works in the same way as the possessive “apostrophe-s” in English:
パンダのえのタクシ - Panda’s drawing’s taxi (i.e. a taxi with a drawing of a panda).

There are other usages of の, though, so please double-check before applying this pattern :wink:

2 Likes

Just to add a thing: the counter used can help. Here だい is 台、 the counter for machines and cars. It is not used for pictures nor animals, so the thing that there is only 1台 can only be the タクシー.

5 Likes

Think of it as パンダ modifies え, and パンダのえ modifies タクシー.

パンダのえ = a drawing which is a panda = X
Xのタクシー = a taxi which has X

パンダのえのタクシー = a taxi which has a drawing of a panda

Aye, Deepl’s a bit confused by the lack of kanji. The sentence in full kanji is パンダの絵のタクシーは、福岡動物園に1台だけあります。, but even just including the 絵 already improves the translation significantly.

2 Likes

@Belthazar @YanagiPablo @NicoleRauch

Thanks guys! It’s really helpful.

What sort of a phrase could I use to describe a person who is a bit of a loose cannon? Someone who you don’t know what to expect from? I want to use it to describe a public person who might post something controversial on their social media and create headache for their PR manager.

I saw 危険人物 transalted as “loose cannon” but I don’t know if it means an actually dangerous person.

My EN-JP dictionary suggests 何をしでかす/言うかわからない人 or 問題児 (literally ‘problem child’). I was also considering よく暴走する人, which would describe someone who acts recklessly without considering the circumstances or what other people might think. But if you’re thinking about saying/posting things specifically, I guess the first phrase is the best.

1 Like

Thanks!

I actually remember hearing this used in this context before!

1 Like

I’m reading 西の魔女が死んだ and this has completely stumped me (page 91). Particularly 段になる…

「どれぐらいの昔の話?」「そうねえ、四十年ぐらいになりますか。そのころはまだ表の道路も舗装されていなくて、とても細くて車もほとんど通らないくらいでした。こことその竹林との境が段になっているでしょう」

I understand everything except that last sentence. There’s a lot of definitions for 段 and 段になる, but there’s not enough context to figure out which one is actually the right one. I’m using monolingual dictionaries.

ここ is refering to “林を過ぎ、丘を越えて、杉林と竹林の間の陽の当たる場所”

I think the thing that is 段になっている is the 表の道路 but I’m honestly not sure at this stage :sweat_smile:

Looking at google image, it seems that Nounが段になっている means that Noun is “tiered” or “stepped” or have some kind of step/tier pattern.
二段になっている人工滝
tieredwaterfall
段になっている田んぼ
tieredricepady
3段になってるスカート

Also NounAとNounBとの境 is the border between NounA and NounB. So maybe this border is stepped somehow… but I’m not sure how to visualize it or why it follows the discussion about the narrow unpaved road :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That makes sense! Maybe it’s 段になっている because the road goes back on itself so it’s not so steep a climb?

Then the でしょう could be explained by the grandma (who says the second bit) not really leaving her property so she wouldn’t actually know if it was or not.

Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

What’s the difference between 実に and 真に if any? They seem to both mean the same things when I look them up. I’m not sure if there’s any difference in nuance between the two.

And bonus question: Torii is teaching me しんに as the reading for 真に, but in the dictionary it uses まことに as the main reading. Which is more used?

I’ve actually never seen someone use that kanji in まことに, probably because it’s not a jouyou reading for that kanji. If you hear まことに, it’s usually in something like まことにありがとうございます, and people will use 誠 most of the time. I’m sure it’s possible to use it in other ways, but 誠にありがとうございます accounts for nearly all the times I hear it.

It’s used in fairly formal or written situations.

実に is like… somewhere between 本当に and 誠に in register, I feel.

Honestly, for everyday purposes, 本当に is fine.

I’ve never heard しんに used. Though apparently there is an expression, 真に迫る, where it’s always read しんにせまる (to be true to nature, to be lifelike)

2 Likes

And in 真に受ける it’s まに, interesting.

2 Likes

I’m back again! This time with a question about とぼける

「ここには洗濯機はないの?」「昔はありましたね。でも、私一人になってからあまり使わなくなって、そのうち壊れてしまいました」そのうち壊れてしまいました、と、おばあちゃんは実に悲しそうに、でもどこかとぼけて言ったのでまいは思わず吹き出した。なんだか力が抜けていくようだった。

Going off the goo辞書, I’m not sure if this is meaning ①聞かれたことに対して、わざと知らないふりをする or ②どことなく間のぬけたこっけいな表情やしぐさをする.

From what I understand of the definitions, ① would be used when, for example, a parent asks a child what happened to the last cookie, and the child says they don’t know, but they actually ate it. And ② is when faced with a difficult situation, to hold a completely carefree attitude, or act as if you’re carefree.

Would you say meaning ② is the one here?

1 Like

今日は皆さん。お久しぶりですね。

娘の二十歳の誕生日のために掛物の書道をしたい。
きれいな俳句を見つけていました。

でも、質問があります。「あなたの愛する父から」と書くのがいいですか。

I mean, as a dedicace (I’m not sure of the word), written in small at the bottom.
In French I would put ‘de la part de ton père qui t’aime’.
But I wonder if ’ 愛 ’ isn’t too strong …

1 Like

I think it should be あなた を 愛する父から. の might be interpreted as が.

I’m pretty sure it isn’t, especially when family ties are concerned. It might just be uncommon to say so.

2 Likes