The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

dunno, haven’t read it…it’s spelt in kana in the japanese title as well though :person_shrugging:

1 Like

The NHK web page gives the character’s name as 木之本桜.

4 Likes

This may be the wrong place for this question, but…

In various anime shows as well as in video dramas, when characters hurt themselves (such as by accidentally hitting their hand with a hammer, accidentally kicking a rock, accidentally falling down a flight of stairs, etc.), instead of spitting out an ‘ow’ sound or similar gasp of pain, they often vocalize something that sounds like:

い て て て て て…

I’m not sure whether that’s a bastardization of 痛い or whether IRL people actually do that.

But what’s actually going on there?

1 Like

Compression and repetition for emphasis — compare “ouch” to “ow ow ow”. Your hunch is correct that it comes from 痛い via 痛え/痛ぇ.

7 Likes

I’ll often see 痛い changed to ()てぇ in the same vein as すごい ≫ すげぇ or ない ≫ ねえ. It’s a common colloquial sound shift

I know sometimes when I hurt myself, I might say something similar to “ah-ch-ch!” which would be an analogous bastardization I guess of “ouch” that いててて is of 痛い

7 Likes

I have often wondered whether (for example) when an anime character says すげぇ instead of すごい whether that is meant to identify them as being ‘lower-class’ or ‘street punk’ or ‘uncultured’ or ‘poorly-educated’ or is it that they’re ‘just being teens’ or perhaps it may be related to some local dialect or whatever…

1 Like

Nah on the dialect part, this is everywhere especially during casual conversations. However, it’s the most commonly used by people still in school (especially elementary and junior high kids). When I use the げぇ or えー versions of words (like I’ll say things like うるせぇ sometimes to show playful annoyance) with my Japanese partner, he just calls it cute and like I’m talking like a kid. So it can be used to highlight younger, more aggressive speech. Or just not careful speech. You wouldn’t use it with coworkers or people you just met

unless it was an exclamation like いてぇ or sometimes すげぇっ! 早っ! Just comments to yourself type of thing

5 Likes

Yeah, now that you mention it, I don’t specifically remember adults doing it in the media I’ve read, but also I mainly read stuff where the main characters are high schoolers, so I wouldn’t necessarily anyway

It’s definitely not them being poorly educated or anything. It’s simply very casual (and is/can be rough; you will see punk characters use it as part of their image, but it’s certainly not limited to that). And I don’t know precisely how well it reflects real-word usage (though I imagine it does to some extent), but in the media I’ve read at least, female characters do it a lot less often than male ones, I assume because the base expected politeness expected from gals is higher than from guys. They’re more likely to shorten e.g. すごい! to すごっ! (though you’ll see guys do that too)

5 Likes

True, but it does originate from a dialect, specifically the old Tokyo Shitamachi dialect (now spoken by practically nobody), which (among other distinctive traits) flattened all the ai ae ie oi sounds to long-e. So you’ll also see that long-e used in fiction representations of really old dudes from Tokyo and Edo-period historical fiction.

9 Likes

I need some help with understanding the meaning of the following lines (new line is new speech bubble)

違うなあ、それは
人にされて嫌だったこと苦しかったことを
人にやって返して取り立てる
自分が不幸だった分は幸せな奴から取り立てないと取り返せない
それが俺たちの生き方だからな

Here’s how I would translate it:

Nah, that’s wrong.
The bad things we received, the ones we suffered for (を?). We do them back to them (who did that to us), and collect (what exactly?). As for our unhappy condition (分?), if we don’t collect (what?) from the happy ones, we won’t make up (for what I’ve lost). That’s our way of living.

Main doubts on here are on the を after こと (I suppose there is an implicit verb, which one is it?), on 分 (ぶん) 's meaning and on the object of 取り立てる, but the sentence in the middle is overall quite unclear.
Also, is there supposed to be a comma 、 after 嫌だったこと ?

人にされる means to have done do you by another person.
人にされて嫌 is not liking something that was done to you by someone.
人にされて嫌なこと is the thing that was done to you that you didn’t like.
and not just 嫌なこと, but also the 苦しかったこと. They do them to other people. (そんなことを人にやる). The を is marking what they are doing to other people. What they are doing to other people is the bad things that were done to them. If that still doesn’t make sense, just coming up with a sentence: 言われて嫌なことを言わないで。 The を goes with the こと like in your example. Don’t say things that you wouldn’t want to have said to you.

bun in this case means like an amount. So he’s saying that for how unhappy they were, they needed to take that same amount of happiness from happy people or else they wouldn’t have been able to get it back.

It seems like its happiness, although the first instance technically is ambiguous. If it was happiness, which I think it is, then they probably should have been talking about how to obtain happiness or something prior to this line.

Yeah, it would improve readability but commas arent a requirement in japanese iirc.

9 Likes

Aka. “to receive doing (by another person)”?

I think you misread - it’s not 嫌なこと but 嫌だったこと.
How I interpret it literally: “the [Received doing by person/people and (て) was bad (嫌だった)] thing”. Correct?

this is perfectly clear, I understand!

ok so 自分が不幸だった分 literally is "the amount of us having been unhappy

For what I saw in the manga I’m currently reading, punctuation isn’t a thing at all :joy:

Thanks alot!

2 Likes

The key bit here is に marks the actor for the passive されて

“Done by a person/people”

嫌だった is just the past tense of 嫌な

4 Likes

I suppose receiving is one way of putting it. But another way is just having it done to you. Thinking of it as receiving doing might conflict with てもらう as well.

The Japanese I wrote is still correct and the relevant grammar pattern. It’s just yours is in past tense (which I kinda already translated it as). Things that are unpleasant when done to you - > things that were unpleasant when done to you. だった can modify the thing after it just like な. 綺麗な人 - > 綺麗だった人.

Yeah, sounds right to me!

Yeah, or" the amount I was unhappy"

3 Likes

right, because the 終止形 and 連体形 of the past tense of the copula だ happen to be the same?

All clear

Can anyone explain how まで after 親 is used here? I thought it was sort of an arriving point but lately I’m seeing it in ways I’m not sure of such this one
危ねぇからアレに餌をやるなよ
親まで山から下りてくるかもしれないぞ

I think it might be “even”? “Even the parents might come down from the mountain”?

I don’t know the context, but I’m guessing it’s a “That’s a baby so it might seem fine to feed it, but if you do, not just it but even its parents will come down (because now they know they can get food here) (and the adults are dangerous unlike the kids)” sort of situation

3 Likes

it’s more of an extent than an arriving point (which would be に). I tend to think of it like “as far as X” or “until X”.

something like, 駅まで行きます feels more like you’re going as far as (until) the station (maybe to do something in the area), rather than to the station itself. it emphasized the space (extent) between you and the station.

the only difference here is that it’s talking about things that might happen as a result, rather than a physical distance. (parents coming down the mountain being the extreme in this case)

4 Likes

Nice, it makes sense, like “up to his parents” or “as much as his parents”

Oh okay, clear!

2 Likes

Question,

A: グワハハハ!!攻撃にキレがねぇぜ!!
B: 何ですって!!
A: 死なねぇとはいえ急所の頸を斬られてちゃあ弱体化するようだなグワハハハ

How does 攻撃にキレがない translates literally?

What is 何ですって? I’d say it’s 何です + って but the person who says it is extremely rude so I’d have expected a 何だって at least

Is 斬られてちゃあ → 斬られていては?