The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

It’s not that.

It’s means becoming numb

Its like the painful tingling you get as your hands go numb from the cold, basically.

3 Likes

Indeed.
In a printed version for first grade school children it got a kind of “explanation furigana” (but on the left, contrary to pronounciation furigana that come on the right) with かわいい.

But ちんちんする has no such explanation, it means 6-7 year olders are supposed to know it.

And so it wasn’t what I first supposed (fr: picotement, es: ardor), but something else (fr: engourdissement, es: entumecido)
(I realize I have big lacks in my English vocabulary).

それをありがとう

3 Likes

Hi, I went recently to Mandarake to buy a few more Mangas and stumbled upon a label that said this:

状態詳細:オレ

As in “Details about the book condition: オレ”.
The Manga with this label was 200円 cheaper than the one without it. After further inspection, I couldn’t find any clear difference (quality? older print version?). Does anyone know what it could mean?
I tried googling it but couldn’t find anything.

4 Likes

Maybe 折れ? Could be that the book is noticeably bent. (Just a guess though)

6 Likes

Folded pages maybe?

I do think you’re right about 折れ. It gets a separate entry on Weblio and everything, no mention of books specifically but 折れること makes sense in context.

4 Likes

Ahhh you might be right about it. The cover has a very slight fold at the top. I guess the cover slid up a bit and then was bent. Though, I have to say I would have never noticed it if I didn’t check it particularly for that :laughing:

Thank you both so much! I was somewhat fixed to a word being in Katakana, so it was a surprise for me it was now 折れ. Is this a common thing, or any particular reason behind it that it is not in Hiragana? I always thought that Katakana are only used for foreign names and words, or as a stylized element.

4 Likes

It can also just be “just because.”

オレ might look “cleaner” than おれ or 折れ

Or maybe they just felt like using it.

Yeah, Japanese people do not think deeply about little choices like that. It’s a common misconception (or just the result of over-generalization by textbooks / resources) that there are absolute rules for which words get written which way. There are only general tendencies.

8 Likes

Got it, thanks! I googled a bit more and learned that words are sometimes written in Katakana not only for stylization (e.g. writing in caps). But also to make it clear that it is a standalone word, i.e. not make it be mistaken as particles or being confused in seeing two different words in it since in Japanese you often have to guess the start/end of (a) hiragana word(s).

If that was the reason here I cannot say (especially since it was just 2 characters). So I guess it might be as you said that there is often no immediate reason behind it, and may depend on the writers/speakers preference.

2 Likes

I think a good way to think about writing in katakana is it’s a bit like writing in italic in English. It might be to emphasise a loanword to make sure you capisce, it could be for emphasis or style, or it could be just for the hell of it.

There’s no hard and fast rule for when to do it. It’s not a big thing, people won’t fail to understand you if you use katakana and it’s only in some situations they’ll be more likely to understand you if you do use them. It’s sort of convention to use them in some situations, but outside that it’s just… a thing people do sometimes.

It doesn’t even have to be entire words. Especially online, you’ll find things like ヤバい.

5 Likes

I think this one happens because you typically only use katakana for the root on verbs that are usually written in katakana (e.g. borrowed verbs like ググる)

3 Likes

:eyes:

1 Like

i-adjectives are in a very technical sense adjectival verbs

Probably. ヤバイ is also pretty common, though.

6 Likes

い adjectives are close enough in usage :stuck_out_tongue:

ignoring the nitpicking about what verbs are, they’re conjugable words (like verbs are), so it make sense that writing conventions for verbs might bleed over occasionally

5 Likes

Does anyone know any good resources for learning 古文? I’ll take them in english or japanese

1 Like

Like the actual grammar rules or just having texts to use for reading? For the latter Aozora Bunko might be a good fit.

3 Likes

For looking up stuff, https://kobun.weblio.jp/ is good. I don’t know any websites for systematically studying the sentence structure, though googling or looking on YouTube (in Japanese) should net some results, since it’s school curriculum.

7 Likes

…and the NHK high school TV series 言語文化 covers 古文. I dunno if they’re any good (I’ve only watched the Japanese History series) but they might be a good overview/starting point.

9 Likes