The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

yeah I was undecided on whether to point that out :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, that was what was on the noodle pack as well which made it seem weird. So that reading is wrong though?

2 Likes

Yeah, ひわい means obscene or indecent, so おひわい箸 would be obscene chopsticks

I thought it was just the manufacturer or something but the person in that link calls it a misprint, and I’m seeing some more confusion on the subject like this person on Twitter, so maybe it really is just a misprint :smile:

Either way, 味わい is read あじわい, not おひわい :joy:

5 Likes

Got a quick question about counting days (and things).
I know that “fifth day” and “fifth thing” are 五日(いつか) and 五つ(いつつ) respectively, but what happens when you go beyond the initial ten / nine readings? Would “fifteen days” be じゅうごにち or じゅういつか, for instance?

1 Like

This one.

10 characters.

4 Likes

For the most part it’s “onyomi + にち” after 10, but there are things like

14日 じゅうよっか
20日 はつか
24日 にじゅうよっか

I think those are all you need to know to get the rest after 10.

The onyomi versions are acceptable for those as well. So, the ones I mentioned are “need to know” in the sense of at least being able to recognize them.

8 Likes

Got it, thanks a bunch!

1 Like

On the flyer for an arcade game I see the sentence “6ケタまで表示します。” and I haven’t been able to figure out what ケタ is. Does anybody here know?

Edit: Right after posting this I realized that the score has six digits, so maybe that’s what it’s referring to? But I’m still surprised that everywhere I looked online didn’t say anything about ケタ.

3 Likes

Is it possible it’s a pun on “rocket,” maybe?
ロッケタ

Yeah, it looks like it means digits (also written 桁, which is what EDICT has it listed under). Googling for the katakana version gives examples like
“iPhoneのパスコードを6ケタから4ケタにする方法”.

5 Likes

I looked it up in the Google ngram corpus count:

word count percent
2278047 68.5%
けた 439275 13.2%
ケタ 609335 18.3%

So katakana for this is relatively common (assuming there aren’t a bunch of mis-parses lurking in the data).

3 Likes

Yes, けた is “digit”. You might see it also in JLPT materials when dealing with phone numbers, etc. The whole phone number is 番, but each individual digit is けた.

5 Likes

Fun fact: there are kun’yomi readings for the numbers past ten, but it’s almost certain you will never, ever encounter them in the wild. 15つ is とおあまりいつつ

8 Likes

That’s pretty interesting! I imagine they’re archaic and just phased out of use eventually?

2 Likes

So it’s like 10 + a lot + 5? Makes sense, pretty much… :thinking:

1 Like

“Remainder”, probably, but yeah.

4 Likes

Or “fifth too far”
遠+あまり+五つ

But, “remainder” makes more sense, yeah!

1 Like

No, it’s 十. We were talking about numbers, remember? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Sometimes you need to look for the hiragana version, takoboto also says digit.

Ones still relatively common (or that I knew about) are

• みたり (= 三人)
  • はたち (= 十二歳, 20 years old), はつか (= 十二日)
  • みそか (= 三十日, however its meaning actually become “last day of month”, and usually written 晦日, you also have おおみそか, "the big 30th (=last) day = the last day of the year)
  • やおや (八百屋, 800 (items) shop = grocery).
  • よろず (万), やおよろず (八百万)
8 Likes