The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

For a kanji like 絶, which has a kunyomi that is taught in school, they’d likely answer with that. Kunyomi basically does mean “meaning reading” after all.

For words without easy kunyomi they’d probably work backwards from a word they know that contains it.

But yeah, you can find monolingual definitions for kanji in kanji dictionaries. Considering that you’re bound to find loads of these in any school, it’s fair to say the kids have to use them now and then.

https://www.kanjipedia.jp/kanji/0004019200

Monolingual definitions also tend to be lot better about disambiguation.

10 Likes

Well that settles that mystery. Thanks a bunch.

Not sure if this would rather be a grammar question, but can someone tell me why Wanikani uses 懸 in this example sentence:

彼の安否が気に懸かります。

I can only find the expression after the が as 気にかかる and 気に掛かる in dictionaries and other sites.

1 Like

かかる has a few kanji associated with it, and a ton of meanings, which are partially but not entirely distinguishable by the kanji used.

I think (but I’m not 100% sure) 懸かる refers mostly to “to hang” and “to depend on”. That could be the literal origin of the expression I suppose, something literally hanging off your mind/mood (i.e. weighing on it), but that’s just speculation on my part.

You’re right that I see 掛かる and just かかる a lot more (though I have a feeling that’s generally the case for かかる regardless of meaning), but I do see 懸かる in some examples, like 「懸かる」の意味や使い方 わかりやすく解説 Weblio辞書 - under 「懸かる」の例文・使い方・用例・文例, so I guess it’s not necessarily strange. Just not the most common thing to do.

2 Likes

So I came across a song title, 緋色月下、狂咲ノ絶, and I’m a bit confused about how to read 狂咲.

My first instinct is きょうしょう, because those are the on’yomi. Some sources like weblio and kotobank tell me it’s short for 狂い咲き and should be read くるいざき. Fair, I can see that.

However, the creators of the song apparently say it’s supposed to be きょうさい (with, apparently, some people disagreeing and saying it should in fact be きょうしょう, according to the Touhou wiki), and I can’t for the life of me figure out how they arrived at that. Does anybody have an idea? Some kind of wordplay maybe? General artistic “rules don’t matter, I don’t do what I want” weirdness?

1 Like

I don’t really see how anyone can argue with that.

If I wrote that song and told you it’s 狂咲Leebo you don’t really have any ground to stand on to tell me otherwise.

7 Likes

I absolutely agree with that, so I’m definitely just accepting that it’s read きょうさい (and honestly I think the “it should be きょうしょう” crowd is a bit out of line in telling the creators what their work is called - I imagine they’re also going around telling their neighbors they gave their children the wrong name or something), I’m just wondering what the reasoning behind it could be.

I mean, maybe there is none and that’s just what they decided on for shits and giggles. If that’s the case, so be it. But I’m just curious if there’s more to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you go to name sites, you can find 咲 with the reading さい in suggested names of things like 咲花さいか, so it’s not like they created the first instance of さい for this kanji ever.

It’s not typical to combine onyomi and nanori in “realish” words, but again, the creator’s word is final for me.

3 Likes

Ah, that does explain it a bit more - at least it explains where the さい comes from, which I guess was the main source of confusion for me. Wonder if there’s some sort of lore connection that led to that, or whatever, but I guess the only way to find that out for sure is to ask the creator (or dive very deep into Touhou lore… which is a rabbit hole for another time).

As for it not being typical… atypical seems par for the course in creative works really. And like you say, the creator decides what their work is called.

1 Like

Vaguely reminds me of

(Neighbors helped decide if you needed to kill your baby or not)

(Also sorry for not taking this to POLLs, I’m on mobile rn)

3 Likes

can someone explain the difference between 管轄 and 所轄? I’ve tried asking natives and I got mixed answers.
My current (probably almost definitely incorrect) conception is that 管轄 is the power of jurisdiction and 所轄 is the area of jurisdiction?

3 Likes

That’s what I thought originally, but looking up example sentences, it seems they’re used in an almost interchangeable manner. I’m also just waiting for someone that knows now

2 Likes

As jargon, they appear to have distinct meanings in 社会保険, but as general words they appear to basically be the same meaning.

5 Likes

First taste of boba tea. Definitely first taste of boba tea

1 Like

I’ve been reading manga and i’ve noticed sometimes for estimates of numbers they’ll go, say, 1~2千 for example. how on earth do you pronounce this? Obviousy in English it’s one to two, but in Japanese I have no clue. Is it から?

1 Like

いち、にせん。Afaik. :slight_smile:

You can use this for other counters as well.

Though, I’ve mostly seen it used with consecutive numbers, and not 1~10 or something like that.

6 Likes

Thank you very much for the quick response!

1 Like

Kazzeon already answered it.
The important part while speaking is a brief gap between the two numbers. It can get pretty short when japanese people speak fast so I sometimes have trouble picking up on it ^^

2 Likes

Why does 違 have the mobility radical but means differ? What’s the connection?

The right hand side is originally a picture of two feet pointed in opposite directions from each other.

So, “move in different directions.”

4 Likes